Tight end Gavin Escobar visiting Chiefs today

This draft is too TE heavy to go after a free agent unless its for a minimum contract.  I've seen multiple "draft gurus" say they have 1-3 round grades on 8-10 TEs, and several of these will fall to later rounds.

This is one of the few actual "NEEDS" I think the Chiefs have.  I'd love to finally see a legit complement to Kelce other than Harris, who drops more than he catches, and Shaggs, who has just been a disappointment.

Does this spell doom for Shag or Harris. Or do they both have a shot at TE3. I think that Harris has more blocking upside and Shag moe receiving up side. Harris has been given every opportunity to shine, but those two bricks are killing him.

not sure why the chiefs would do this for a TE

Because the Chiefs have Kelce, and not much more. Kelce can block, but typically doesn't do it very well. O'Shag is not good. We don't know if Harris will be on the team next year. I'm betting against it. The fourth guy, Ross Travis, is a basketball conversion project. On the list is a bunch of pass receivers, and not one blocking TE.

I remember Gavin Escobar in the draft. I didn't think much of him. He had size, and strong hands, but couldn't block, and did not have the physical traits that stood out to say he could get open in the NFL. The Cowpokes worked on his blocking ability. He didn't get many opportunities to catch a pass, and his production is about what I expected it would be.

My guess is the Chiefs gave him a contract for league minimum with incentives, but no guaranteed money. I will be shocked if it is anything different. If he can block, the Chiefs need him. If he can't block, there are going to be opportunities in the draft to get a TE. Now,  finding a blocking TE isn't as easy as it used to be. Most are not called on to block.

Because the Chiefs have Kelce, and not much more. Kelce can block, but typically doesn't do it very well. O'Shag is not good. We don't know if Harris will be on the team next year. I'm betting against it. The fourth guy, Ross Travis, is a basketball conversion project. On the list is a bunch of pass receivers, and not one blocking TE.

I remember Gavin Escobar in the draft. I didn't think much of him. He had size, and strong hands, but couldn't block, and did not have the physical traits that stood out to say he could get open in the NFL. The Cowpokes worked on his blocking ability. He didn't get many opportunities to catch a pass, and his production is about what I expected it would be.

My guess is the Chiefs gave him a contract for league minimum with incentives, but no guaranteed money. I will be shocked if it is anything different. If he can block, the Chiefs need him. If he can't block, there are going to be opportunities in the draft to get a TE. Now,  finding a blocking TE isn't as easy as it used to be. Most are not called on to block.

but with so many TE's in the draft they could have waited....

By filling every need the Chiefs "think" they have in free agency, I really hope they truly are going to draft BPA this time around. They could line up and play and compete right now with no glaring holes to fill and be competitive. A lot of other teams can't say that prior to the draft.

Archived