Looks like Mel Kiper got the message

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thing is...I've looked at 50 mock drafts from PFF, Sports Illustrated, Foxsports, cbssports, nfl network, espn, etc...and it really is all over the map as to what people believe the Chiefs will pick at #27. Of course so much will ride on who is still there when the Chiefs pick but it just feels like this is the year that the Chiefs actually might nab a QB and try to earnestly develop a QOTF.

I've seen boards that have Deshaun Watson going as high as 6th and as low as early 2nd round. He has heavily been tied to KC. My question is...which QB does this board want the Chiefs to end up with if they had their choice? 

Semo...Mahomes is my choice as well. The downside is you can only pick 1 player...lol. I love Haason Reddick and if he and Mahomes were both there at #27...man o man. But truthfully it is freaking time the Chiefs tried to develop a young QB and stop with the short term retreads.

Nathan Peterman compares to Derek Carr.

Somewhat. Carr was more athletic and had a better arm. Peterman was in a pro offense and much more advanced as a passer though. Overall i think carr had more upside but I like him. But if we dont go qb in first i would like us to target him. I think it would take a trade up though.

The QB I want, by a landslide, is Mahomes. I think, if he's harnessed, he has Aaron Rodgers potential. Of course, he could blow up in your face much easier than several others.

I honestly think Trubisky goes pretty early, so I'm not sure he's there. I think he'd be my #2 though.

After that, I'd say Watson. He's a gamer. He has some flaws, but I think the can toss 15 TDs and keep the INTs low...

After those guys, it really is a craps shoot. I think Kizer is a ways off and I'm really concerned about his slow trigger. 

I think Kaaya has a really weak arm and he honestly reminds me of Smith, lots of gigabytes and overthinks things at times. Kid needs to just let it fly sometimes, but like Kizer he's a bit slow on the trigger too often.

Dobbs, well he's just all over the map. Sometimes he looks kind of good, other times you're scratching your head. He's not incredibly accurate. He reminds me a bit of a Teddy Bridgewater from a build perspective and that's equally worrisome. I think he's a guy you could take 3rd or 4th round as a backup, but I'm not sure you're going to get more than that.

Evans is a huge project. Way too much pass, pull the ball and run, QB keeper, repeat for me. I don't think the kid has a clue how to read anything down field. Arm talent is there, but I don't see him as more than an athletic backup. Can he play TE? I'd legitimately seek that answer.

Peterman, well he seems like he is what he is and that's it. He's kind of the "safe' guy in the room. You can go to bat with the kid. He's that borderline guy. Nothing to wow you, arm strength is very average. He's probably the most pro ready. I think he's the most Alex Smith like QB I've seen in years. I don't see Kirk Cousins, I don't think he has that same down field capability. Put the guy in a WCO/short passing game, he's going to be okay.

I see Webb as a Nick Foles at best. I don't think he's accurate. He's big, he can whip the ball around, but that's what you get. He can't read a defense. He threw alot of balls into heavy traffic that were just terrible throws. Should have been picks. He got bailed out on completion percentage with a high volume of throws behind or at the LOS. I don't like him that much. I think he's being drastically overrated because he performed decently in the Senior Bowl. Too much bad tape.

After that the bottom kind of falls out. Wouldnt' touch Chad Kelly. 

I'd try to nab Kyle Sloter as an UDFA out of Northern Colorado just to see if the kid can develop. He really looked good this year. He's got an interesting story, so you wonder if he can make it but he threw the ball well in his lone shot at it.

The QB I want, by a landslide, is Mahomes. I think, if he's harnessed, he has Aaron Rodgers potential. Of course, he could blow up in your face much easier than several others.

I honestly think Trubisky goes pretty early, so I'm not sure he's there. I think he'd be my #2 though.

After that, I'd say Watson. He's a gamer. He has some flaws, but I think the can toss 15 TDs and keep the INTs low...

After those guys, it really is a craps shoot. I think Kizer is a ways off and I'm really concerned about his slow trigger. 

I think Kaaya has a really weak arm and he honestly reminds me of Smith, lots of gigabytes and overthinks things at times. Kid needs to just let it fly sometimes, but like Kizer he's a bit slow on the trigger too often.

Dobbs, well he's just all over the map. Sometimes he looks kind of good, other times you're scratching your head. He's not incredibly accurate. He reminds me a bit of a Teddy Bridgewater from a build perspective and that's equally worrisome. I think he's a guy you could take 3rd or 4th round as a backup, but I'm not sure you're going to get more than that.

Evans is a huge project. Way too much pass, pull the ball and run, QB keeper, repeat for me. I don't think the kid has a clue how to read anything down field. Arm talent is there, but I don't see him as more than an athletic backup. Can he play TE? I'd legitimately seek that answer.

Peterman, well he seems like he is what he is and that's it. He's kind of the "safe' guy in the room. You can go to bat with the kid. He's that borderline guy. Nothing to wow you, arm strength is very average. He's probably the most pro ready. I think he's the most Alex Smith like QB I've seen in years. I don't see Kirk Cousins, I don't think he has that same down field capability. Put the guy in a WCO/short passing game, he's going to be okay.

I see Webb as a Nick Foles at best. I don't think he's accurate. He's big, he can whip the ball around, but that's what you get. He can't read a defense. He threw alot of balls into heavy traffic that were just terrible throws. Should have been picks. He got bailed out on completion percentage with a high volume of throws behind or at the LOS. I don't like him that much. I think he's being drastically overrated because he performed decently in the Senior Bowl. Too much bad tape.

After that the bottom kind of falls out. Wouldnt' touch Chad Kelly. 

I'd try to nab Kyle Sloter as an UDFA out of Northern Colorado just to see if the kid can develop. He really looked good this year. He's got an interesting story, so you wonder if he can make it but he threw the ball well in his lone shot at it.

I guess there is a chance that the chiefs draft Dobbs, Webb, Kaya to get them developed as a backup and then go after QB next year ( I keep hearing how good the class for next year is)

By and large I mostly agree with crow here. I probably like Peterman a little more than that, but he is honestly a high floor guy. I have mixed thoughts on his ceiling. Frankly if Andy Reid would have had Alex Smith from his rookie year he would be a different qb so I'm not sure that's a knock.

I'd be okay with either Watson or Mahomes. I think it's an easy guess to say Trubisky won't be on the board when the Chiefs pick. Some analysts have even suggested the Chiefs might trade up a few slots to ensure they get their guy. Outside of the first few picks the mock drafts are really all over the place with their predictions. Some analysts say only 2 QBs will go in round 1. Some have 4.....I even saw one who had 5. Seems to me the teams we have to really wonder about are the Jets, Browns, Cardinals and Texans. They all could be looking at a QB.

So you think they are going to pay Alex Smith 20 million next year?

hell no, i was not thinking about the money side of it. Wonder if the chiefs will do what the skins did a few years ago and get two QB's and let the

battle begin...but then that would mean bray would go bye bye

No they won't. But if there is not a better option at QB available they will extend him to get his cap number down.

So you think they will extend a QB that's in his mid 30's and declining? I can't see that being a good use of resources.

The only good, clear path I see for the Chiefs getting out of near cap hell in 2018 will be paying their starting QB peanuts vs the 20 mil that Even Steven Smith is due.

Now I'm not saying that it's impossible for Alex to play himself into an extension, but it's not likely. I think this year is it.

Yes. If they don't have someone better to put on the field. 33 is not old for a QB. Lots of SBs have been one by QBs older than that.

I get that Alex if not what we want and I hope they find a better option. Just saying if they don't, they will extend him. Unfortunately we live in a world where Sam Bradford is worth a 1st and 4th round pick. It sucks that there are so few good QBs.

33/34 may or may not be old, depending on the QB.  If they've been good at avoiding hits, than no not at all by any means.

Alex doesn't fit that profile, so I'd say the hits over the years (and injuries) are starting to take its toll.  He's already declining; no way I would extend another contract.

Archived