Looks like Mel Kiper got the message

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there is so much that is going to factor into it. Anyone thinking Alex Smith absolutely cannot be a QB option beyond 2017 is fooling themselves. You obviously have not been paying attention to the kind of coach Andy Reid is. 

Say we do draft a 1st round QB this year. Hallelujah!!...we have our QBOTF!! Maybe. He might not be ready after one year. What if it takes 2 years before Andy Reid thinks he is ready? What are you going to do in that interim 2018 season? Put in Bray? Cut Smith and bring in a journeyman? Most likely Smith's contract will be restructured somehow. 

Anyone think differently?

You are exactly right. It makes no sense to dump a QB that has contributed to the best 4 year stretch since the 90s. It just won't happen unless have suitable replacement.

Smith is probably not a guy that can play until he is 38, but he passed for more yards each year of his thirties

Better hope for better blocking and better running this year. And that the QB we draft can develop in just one year.

A receiving weapon early would not surprise me and would be a waste. Average QBs can't over come multiple drops and lack of separation.

Well there is so much that is going to factor into it. Anyone thinking Alex Smith absolutely cannot be a QB option beyond 2017 is fooling themselves. You obviously have not been paying attention to the kind of coach Andy Reid is. 

Say we do draft a 1st round QB this year. Hallelujah!!...we have our QBOTF!! Maybe. He might not be ready after one year. What if it takes 2 years before Andy Reid thinks he is ready? What are you going to do in that interim 2018 season? Put in Bray? Cut Smith and bring in a journeyman? Most likely Smith's contract will be restructured somehow. 

Anyone think differently?

Yeah.

I don't see any reason to believe he would take a massive cut or that he won't continue to decline.

Yeah.

I don't see any reason to believe he would take a massive cut or that he won't continue to decline.

Okay so given the scenario....1. We draft a 1st round QB to be the QBOTF, 2. After the first year he isn't quite ready to start in 2018.

You say the Chiefs cut Alex Smith and either let Bray start for a year and hope your budding QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub or we go out and pick up a Colt McCoy or Brian Hoyer and hope our QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub. Hmmmm. Nice options there.

Okay so given the scenario....1. We draft a 1st round QB to be the QBOTF, 2. After the first year he isn't quite ready to start in 2018.

You say the Chiefs cut Alex Smith and either let Bray start for a year and hope your budding QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub or we go out and pick up a Colt McCoy or Brian Hoyer and hope our QBOTF isn't set back by watching a scrub. Hmmmm. Nice options there.

Maybe the Chiefs start their QBOTF a little before he's ready and let him take his lumps.  If the line is solid, the QB could develop sooner while playing even if more games are lost.

I think sitting a QB for 2 years is stupid unless they are a total project and people are overestimating how long they need to simmer.

Eventually a kid has to learn by playing.

I think sitting a QB for 2 years is stupid unless they are a total project and people are overestimating how long they need to simmer.

Unless you're Aaron Rogers.  Of course, BF refusing to go away may have been a factor there.   :)

Yeah.

Not sure we have seen a decline with his yards and long completions going up each of the last three years. He even missed some time and had some effects from the concussion. And he didn't have Mac playing up to par. Still had more passing yards than any other year in his career. Don't get me wrong, I hope we can upgrade, but evidence of decline is not there right now.

True. I don't really want running QB. I want to get a ballsy guy that moves around in pocket and throws. I am kind of Leary about Jackson. He reminds me a little of Smith. With his deep throws and running I mean. I think he will win games but running really shorts careers it seems.

I agree. just threw out a possible scenario of what could happen. Not likely scenario but certainly possible. 1 year should be enough. 

I could live with this one.

27. Kansas City (12-4) — Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida, Sr.

59. Kansas City — Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech, Jr.

91. Kansas City — Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa, rSr.

104. Kansas City — Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo, Sr.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-nfl-mock-draft-2017-three-rounds-20170413-story.html

Wouldn't have a single bad word to say if the Chiefs ended up with that haul.  Would be an amazing draft.

I could live with this one.

27. Kansas City (12-4) — Jarrad Davis, ILB, Florida, Sr.

59. Kansas City — Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech, Jr.

91. Kansas City — Jaleel Johnson, DT, Iowa, rSr.

104. Kansas City — Kareem Hunt, RB, Toledo, Sr.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/sd-sp-nfl-mock-draft-2017-three-rounds-20170413-story.html

Wouldn't have a single bad word to say if the Chiefs ended up with that haul. Would be an amazing draft.

Love the first 2. Very meh on the last 2 picks.

You never know. He does need some serious fixing. The pundits have him rising fast but who knows how the teams are viewing him.

Every year the talking head convince themselves that some QB is the next hot commodity.  Remember a few years back when some QB from Notre Dame (Brady Quinn?) sat in the ready room until #22 while the media kept figuring out the next team that would certainly draft him?  Mahomes is now being touted as a mid first round pick.  We'll see in eleven days.

Every year the talking head convince themselves that some QB is the next hot commodity. Remember a few years back when some QB from Notre Dame sat in the ready room for the whole first round while the media kept figuring out the next team that would certainly draft him? Mahomes is now being touted as a mid first round pick. We'll see in eleven days.

True. But we've also seen many very flawed qbs go way too high. Who knows anymore.

Love the first 2. Very meh on the last 2 picks.

I think that would be a strong 4 picks, although I feel they could address RB later.  Maybe if we got a pass-rusher instead of a RB lol

This QB class is extremely hard to even begin to determine where they will come off the board.  Hardest class to peg, ever (for me at least).

This QB class is extremely hard to even begin to determine where they will come off the board.  Hardest class to peg, ever (for me at least).

Agree.  That's why I think the Chiefs will not trade up unless both Trubinsky and Watson are gone and Mahomes is still on the board at about 23 or later.  As for RB, I'm still think Hill in the fourth might fill the bill.

Every year the talking head convince themselves that some QB is the next hot commodity. Remember a few years back when some QB from Notre Dame (Brady Quinn?) sat in the ready room until #22 while the media kept figuring out the next team that would certainly draft him? Mahomes is now being touted as a mid first round pick. We'll see in eleven days.

And the Johnny Football draft. That was all they talked about was how crazy it was that he fell out of the top ten. Every pick they seemed stunned that he was still there.

Archived