Alex Smith?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. I think Alex Smith....

• is the best QB....evah!
    • is the Chief's Qb, so.....
    • is a decent QB
    • is a below average QB
    • is a total suck ass QB and we should sing Tim Tebow
    • he's no Ryan Russel or Jamarcus Leaf !!!!

What is an elite QB? and who cares?

The fallacy of the cliche`s you throw around is mounting evidence that you really know nothing except a bunch of data driven crap that doesn't take into account the human factor and intangibles.

In the Top 10 list of QB Cap hits, there are 2 Super Bowl winning QB's listed.

In the Top 20 list of QB Cap hits, there are 6 Super Bowl winning QB's listed.

Using your logic. that means there are 14 overpaid QB's whose Teams WILL NEVER WIN A SB....blah blah blah....

You really should get out more.....

Uh, you're not much for data analysis, are you? The key numbers lie within the stats you showed (which I'm assuming to be 2017 cap hits):

Top 10 Ranked by Cap Hit: Two quarterbacks with Super Bowl wins

11-20th Ranked by Cap Hit: Four five quarterbacks with Super Bowl wins

That would prove my point.

The numbers you actually want to look at are the average dollars of the contract during the years when the quarterback won their Super Bowl(s). Where have Drew Brees and Joe Flacco been since they signed their massive extensions? Aaron Rodgers? On the other hand, Tom Brady actually gave up a significant portion of salary (albeit for some of the league's best guarantees), and he's been persistently surrounded by talent during these past three years.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumb statement:

Chiefs avg Draft Position in last 8 years= 17

Ravens avg Draft Position in last 8 years= 28

7 years previous to Joe, the Ravens drafted at an avg of Position 19

Later picks in the 1st round suggest playoff runs... logic fail.

Where do you get these numbers? 25, 26, 29, 32, 17, 26, 6, 16 = 177 / 8 = 22.1, not 28

If we were comparing Cassel and Smith to Flacco, Flacco looks better. Once you take Cassel out:

Avg. Draft Position of Alex Smith's team in last eight years: 22.1

Avg. Draft Position of Joe Flacco's team in last eight years: 22.1

Avg. Draft Position of Alex Smith's team in last four years: 24

Avg. Draft Position of Joe Flacco's team in last four years: 16.3

So if you play with the splits on the sample size, you can make Joe Flacco look OK. In case you hadn't noticed, the Ravens are trending downward.

You're not good at this stat stuff. Try again. Or don't.

Uh, you're not much for data analysis, are you? The key numbers lie within the stats you showed (which I'm assuming to be 2017 cap hits):

Top 10 Ranked by Cap Hit: Two quarterbacks with Super Bowl wins

11-20th Ranked by Cap Hit: Four five quarterbacks with Super Bowl wins

That would prove my point.

The numbers you actually want to look at are the average dollars of the contract during the years when the quarterback won their Super Bowl(s). Where have Drew Brees and Joe Flacco been since they signed their massive extensions? Aaron Rodgers? On the other hand, Tom Brady actually gave up a significant portion of salary (albeit for some of the league's best guarantees), and he's been persistently surrounded by talent during these past three years.

Data Analysis isn't my full time job but what I posted suggests that my point is valid. 14 QB's in the TOP 20 have never won a SB- yet are paid in the TOP 20.

Thats not value. Thats called overpaid.

So you can try to insult my intelligence all you want but the fact remains that Flacco, Rogers and Breese got paid for what they have DONE, unlike the others who are getting paid for what they COULD do.

Where do you get these numbers? 25, 26, 29, 32, 17, 26, 6, 16 = 177 / 8 = 22.1, not 28

If we were comparing Cassel and Smith to Flacco, Flacco looks better. Once you take Cassel out:

Avg. Draft Position of Alex Smith's team in last eight years: 22.1

Avg. Draft Position of Joe Flacco's team in last eight years: 22.1

Avg. Draft Position of Alex Smith's team in last four years: 24

Avg. Draft Position of Joe Flacco's team in last four years: 16.3

So if you play with the splits on the sample size, you can make Joe Flacco look OK. In case you hadn't noticed, the Ravens are trending downward.

You're not good at this stat stuff. Try again. Or don't.

Liars figure

Figures lie.

You cannot compare Smith to Flacco over 8 years because the Teams, Conference, Division, Front Office, etc are all different.

You definitely aren't good at this stat stuff

unless it is to completely manipulate the numbers, the parameters and the data sets to match your argument.

Smith is avg. Deal with it. Flacco is better.

Liars figure

Figures lie.

You cannot compare Smith to Flacco over 8 years because the Teams, Conference, Division, Front Office, etc are all different.

You definitely aren't good at this stat stuff

unless it is to completely manipulate the numbers, the parameters and the data sets to match your argument.

Smith is avg. Deal with it. Flacco is better.

That's pretty funny that's you're complaining about the stats, seeing as this started with you representing Joe Flacco as a better quarterback than Alex Smith. Then I made it a Joe Flacco vs. Alex Smith comparison, and you cry foul.

That's pretty funny that's you're complaining about the stats, seeing as this started with you representing Joe Flacco as a better quarterback than Alex Smith. Then I made it a Joe Flacco vs. Alex Smith comparison, and you cry foul.

Cheesd and Rice you are stoopid....I am objecting to your methodology which results in your flawed conclusion...

Comparing Smith's 2 different teams avg draft position to Flacco's 1 is flawed...shows how far you will go to make your nut squeeze of Smith justified.

Cheesd and Rice you are stoopid....I am objecting to your methodology which results in your flawed conclusion...

Comparing Smith's 2 different teams avg draft position to Flacco's 1 is flawed...shows how far you will go to make your nut squeeze of Smith justified.

That's why I compared Smith's four years in Kansas City with Flacco's four years in Baltimore. What do you have for that?

Maybe the numbers not being favorable for Flacco has nothing to do with the methodology.

We know that great teams can carry mid-tier quarterbacks to a Super Bowl.

The numbers suggest that Smith does more with a mid-tier team than Flacco does.

Thanks for playing.

That's why I compared Smith's four years in Kansas City with Flacco's four years in Baltimore. What do you have for that?

Maybe the numbers not being favorable for Flacco has nothing to do with the methodology.

We know that great teams can carry mid-tier quarterbacks to a Super Bowl.

The numbers suggest that Smith does more with a mid-tier team than Flacco does.

Thanks for playing.

2017 10 Patrick Mahomes

2015 18 Marcus Peters

2014 23 Dee Ford

10+18+23= 51/3= 17

Flacco

2017 16

2016   6

2015 26

2014 17

2013  32

2011  27

2010 23

16+6+26+17+32+27+23=147/7=21

2017 10 Patrick Mahomes

2015 18 Marcus Peters

2014 23 Dee Ford

10+18+23= 51/3= 17

Flacco

2017 16

2016   6

2015 26

2014 17

2013  32

2011  27

2010 23

16+6+26+17+32+27+23=147/7=21                                                                                             

Well that's an interesting twist on "draft position". Most people are referring to the draft position earned during the previous season by quality play or the lack thereof.

Why did you exclude the Chiefs' top 2016 selection Chris Jones? Cherry pick much?

This is silly. Please stop. You're bad at not trolling and you're bad at trolling.

Well that's an interesting twist on "draft position". Most people are referring to the draft position earned during the previous season by quality play or the lack thereof.

Why did you exclude the Chiefs' top 2016 selection Chris Jones? Cherry pick much?

This is silly. Please stop. You're bad at not trolling and you're bad at trolling.

Was 2016 a 1st rd draft pick?

No

I didn't include the Ravens 2012 2nd rder either.

I don't troll much, but when I do, I troll you.

the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-me

60 mph. It's faster than I can throw. Cool.

I imagined this would be a short off-season, but it's not turning out that way. The combine and draft happened, and at this point, "football" that's not really football is mostly out of the way. It's evident, however, that there's plenty more non-football to endure before football starts.

I'm curious, seeing as this is my second pass on this merry-go-round: Why the fascination with community dog-piling, provocation, and all-around incivility? Most of you seemed better than this, but somehow in one draft pick I became the enemy of nearly all Chiefs fans.

Serious question.

I'm curious, seeing as this is my second pass on this merry-go-round: Why the fascination with community dog-piling, provocation, and all-around incivility? Most of you seemed better than this, but somehow in one draft pick I became the enemy of nearly all Chiefs fans.

Serious question.

Your only topics

- Houston is overpaid

-Charles runied kc

-Alex is amazing

-don't pay a safety

When do you post anything positve

Serious question.

Can't speak for everyone else. I'm tired of the shameless Alex Smith ball washing. And I like Alex Smith. I'm higher on him than most chiefs fans.

I think you have to be a longtime chiefs fan to really feel what the Patrick Mahomes pick means to kc fans. We know he could bust. Any 1st round pick can and especially qbs. What means something to us is 1) they're trying. They want to be great. We haven't had that in a long time. And 2) they have a good plan. This team is positioned to survive even if mahomes busts.

Take off the Alex Smith colored glasses once in a while. It's ok to like a player but let's be realistic... Alex has some very real limitations, not the least of which is that too many times he plays not to lose rather than playing to win.

Your only topics

- Houston is overpaid

-Charles runied kc

-Alex is amazing

-don't pay a safety

When do you post anything positve

I mean this with all sincerity and graciousness: You fit the profile of a minority of Chiefs fans who dislike me: At least you can see that I talk about far more than Alex Smith.

I can be positive. I'm surprised to see that you could see all of the other stuff, but didn't see the times I expressed my thoughts that the Chiefs were doing well.

Archived