Alex Smith?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. I think Alex Smith....

• is the best QB....evah!
    • is the Chief's Qb, so.....
    • is a decent QB
    • is a below average QB
    • is a total suck ass QB and we should sing Tim Tebow
    • he's no Ryan Russel or Jamarcus Leaf !!!!

I mean this with all sincerity and graciousness: You fit the profile of a minority of Chiefs fans who dislike me: At least you can see that I talk about far more than Alex Smith.

I can be positive. I'm surprised to see that you could see all of the other stuff, but didn't see the times I expressed my thoughts that the Chiefs were doing well.

i don't dislike you. I've been here a very long time and not liking people isn't my style.

Just Own up to the fact that you like to poke and prod.

I give it right back to you without name calling etc.

I have given you credit for many a good post and you've never responded back with anything cordial.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take off the Alex Smith colored glasses once in a while. It's ok to like a player but let's be realistic... Alex has some very real limitations, not the least of which is that too many times he plays not to lose rather than playing to win.

I'm not really sure where the beef is. If we don't see eye-to-eye on what makes for a good quarterback or for how to get one, fine. Where does the incivility come in?

But you did express one thing: I haven't been a Chiefs fan long enough to understand you. Perhaps what you consider a weakness in experience is something I see as a strength: I haven't spent years having my thinking conditioned by Terez Paylor and other local writers that substituted winning the Super Bowl with drafting a quarterback in the first round. There's two sides to that coin.

In any case, in all things Internet, incivility seems unavoidable. I try to attack opinions, not people. Though it's hard to expect civility, I do try to promote it in the way I communicate with people. I don't draw artificial lines, according people civility on the basis of how tenured they are in one thing or another.

Perhaps you remember better, but I just don't recall a bunch of Chiefs bandwagoners between the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Of the fans that joined themselves to the Chiefs in 2013, most came on account of Smith, and most were quite optimistic. However, we've always been those fans from the moment we arrived, and there was animosity toward us from the very beginning. We've been the subject of taunts laced with explicit sexual references, etc. Basically, when you're one of those fans, it's like being a Jew in Germany in the 1930's: There's nothing wrong with you, but you're undesirable. Once the overwhelming majority turn a blind eye to the incivility, things get out of hand. It happens quickly.

Someone asked me if I was planning on attending a Chiefs game in 2017. It's going to be hard for me to travel to Kansas City exclusively for that purpose. I don't own an Alex Smith jersey (which may come as a shock to some people here), but given the comments I get from some people on account of my approval of Smith's performance for the Chiefs, I actually would feel uncomfortable, even threatened, to be wearing a Smith jersey in Arrowhead Stadium if Smith were to actually have a bad game.

None of this may matter to you, or perhaps it does. In any case, thanks for reading.

Someone asked me if I was planning on attending a Chiefs game in 2017. It's going to be hard for me to travel to Kansas City exclusively for that purpose. I don't own an Alex Smith jersey (which may come as a shock to some people here), but given the comments I get from some people on account of my approval of Smith's performance for the Chiefs, I actually would feel uncomfortable, even threatened, to be wearing a Smith jersey in Arrowhead Stadium if Smith were to actually have a bad game.

None of this may matter to you, or perhaps it does. In any case, thanks for reading.

snowflake? there is only 1 unacceptable Chiefs Jersey to wear..but I wont mention his name

I'm not really sure where the beef is. If we don't see eye-to-eye on what makes for a good quarterback or for how to get one, fine. Where does the incivility come in?

But you did express one thing: I haven't been a Chiefs fan long enough to understand you. Perhaps what you consider a weakness in experience is something I see as a strength: I haven't spent years having my thinking conditioned by Terez Paylor and other local writers that substituted winning the Super Bowl with drafting a quarterback in the first round. There's two sides to that coin.

In any case, in all things Internet, incivility seems unavoidable. I try to attack opinions, not people. Though it's hard to expect civility, I do try to promote it in the way I communicate with people. I don't draw artificial lines, according people civility on the basis of how tenured they are in one thing or another.

Perhaps you remember better, but I just don't recall a bunch of Chiefs bandwagoners between the 2012 and 2013 seasons. Of the fans that joined themselves to the Chiefs in 2013, most came on account of Smith, and most were quite optimistic. However, we've always been those fans from the moment we arrived, and there was animosity toward us from the very beginning. We've been the subject of taunts laced with explicit sexual references, etc. Basically, when you're one of those fans, it's like being a Jew in Germany in the 1930's: There's nothing wrong with you, but you're undesirable. Once the overwhelming majority turn a blind eye to the incivility, things get out of hand. It happens quickly.

I've never called you names. I've just stated the fact that when Alex Smith moves on so will you. It's going to happen.

I mostly quoted this post to point out that you just compared mild incivility on an internet message board to being in the holocaust.

Just wow.

Didn't mention the holocaust. I merely referenced the callous disregard of the German majority toward the plight of the Jews. The holocaust came as a consequence. A failure by the majority to acknowledge incivility over a long period of time emboldened the regime to take the next step.

Clearly, with this being the Internet, I don't think anyone here is about to kill anyone.

But it's obvious where this is going. I'm not discussing it further. Incivility is justified as light-hearted banter. So be it.

Feel the love....your boy Luck is getting killed .....injuries add up...need an OLINE

they have been working on it.  they may have finally got some young kids there that can play.  

luck also needs to stop holding the ball so long

Didn't mention the holocaust. I merely referenced the callous disregard of the German majority toward the plight of the Jews. The holocaust came as a consequence. A failure by the majority to acknowledge incivility over a long period of time emboldened the regime to take the next step.

I doubt you really put a lot of thought into this comment. But I don't think it's a good idea to draw a comparison of what you perceive as others being uncivil on a sports message board to what was happening in Nazi Germany. 

I don't think anyone here would say "I just don't like PhataLerror". Probably because they (myself included) don't know you as a person. That doesn't mean they can't disagree or even take you to task a time or two for things you have typed on this board. You are right in saying the internet does embolden people to say things...make statements that they might not say otherwise. But you have to include yourself when you think that. From all the posts I have read that you have made...it looks like several people disagree more with your "I'm right and you can't tell me anything" persona more so than your stance on Alex Smith or anything that involves the Chiefs. This is a "discussion" board. Unfortunately, more often than not it's a "Here is my opinion" board. Most people think their opinion is the right one. Someone wants to disagree and suddenly it's uncivil. You've got to roll with it.

You are valuable because you do offer intelligent thoughts. No one wants you to hit the road that I have seen. There has been a time or two where someone responded to one of my posts and it really pissed me off. It's best not to immediately fire off a response...because it won't end well. Can't take it personally. I love the Chiefs....you love the Chiefs...we all are passionate about the Chiefs. This is one of the few boards I have ever seen where people actually discuss things. We all need to remind ourselves of that and try to keep it as such.

I doubt you really put a lot of thought into this comment. But I don't think it's a good idea to draw a comparison of what you perceive as others being uncivil on a sports message board to what was happening in Nazi Germany. 

I would admit a day later that this comment was doomed from the outset to be mocked rather than to be discussed within its intended context: A community would turn on on its own for some perceived "difference". It wasn't intended to be hyperbole, but that's how it was seen, and I should have known that.

The regular season can't come fast enough. We can stop talking about the dreams and start talking about what is. And maybe a little bit of reality will check some users' convictions concerning their opinions. Maybe my opinions, or maybe those of the other 'side'. But it's the fact that there are 'sides' at all that thoroughly leaves me miffed: When I ceased being a 49ers fan between 2013-2016, it was as much about the fans as it was about the team. Aside from the fact that everyone on the other side has already since had to eat their hats, I'm not really keen on the prospect of going through such a schism again, especially as I am already treated as a fan-not-a-fan for the mere reason that Alex Smith's acquisition by the Chiefs tipped the scales on what team I decided to fan with after finding myself exiled from San Francisco's body of fans.

I don't need the love of an online sports fan community to get through life, but watching half of this forum turn on me like a pack of rabid wolves over Mahomes while at the same time being civil with a trolling Ravens fan made me realize that I continue to be a "Chiefs" fan with no real fellow fans. And while that's an allegiance doesn't really matter in the bigger picture, there was a certain clear rejection there that felt thoroughly unjustified, and made me want to lash out at the fans whose sad 2-14 team I started rooting for in the first place.

Every one of them was out of line, but whatever. Now all that's left is for me to train myself to not care just as much as I said I didn't (when by the nature of this post I clearly do care).

Yes that's right. You are the only real chiefs fan here.

You do know those trolls have been here for many many years right?

I realized yesterday I've been with this site longer than I've been with my wife. Over 15 years now I think or very close.

Yes that's right. You are the only real chiefs fan here.

You do know those trolls have been here for many many years right?

Did I say that?

I'm not a better fan, and I didn't suggest such a thing. You're too busy being sarcastic to get the sense of what I'm saying.

It's not hard to infer (when it's not explicitly stated, which it quite often is) that many Chiefs fans view me as not being a Chiefs fan. It's not the label that matters to me, but rather that the associated lack of respect terminates meaningful discussion. After all, anything I say concerning the quarterback position is "biased" because "PhataL's an Alex Smith fan".

So I get to enjoy toxic forums.

Phatal needs a hug

Dont go to the Locker room what ever you do. you think your being prosecuted now?..Wowzers!

Or to the Planet.  :lol:  

If he thinks that there is "incivility" here, he should go throw his drivel around over there with all of those 12 year olds.  He would come running back here faster than Mugsy did.

Did I say that?

I'm not a better fan, and I didn't suggest such a thing. You're too busy being sarcastic to get the sense of what I'm saying.

It's not hard to infer (when it's not explicitly stated, which it quite often is) that many Chiefs fans view me as not being a Chiefs fan. It's not the label that matters to me, but rather that the associated lack of respect terminates meaningful discussion. After all, anything I say concerning the quarterback position is "biased" because "PhataL's an Alex Smith fan".

So I get to enjoy toxic forums.

Maybe you just need to lighten up.  The problem is that you always come across as if you are talking down to people.  Sorry if us redneck midwesterners ain't as cultured as you left coasters.

Seriously though, we are ALL Chiefs' fans and want to see them succeed.  Maybe we can use that commonality to move forward.

Archived