Dorsey Says No QB's in this draft are worthy of starting right away

KC Chiefs GM John Dorsey has said before that this year’s quarterback class doesn’t have any immediate starters. Dorsey once again said he doesn’t see any “sure-fire starters right off the bat” in this year’s quarterback class.

“I think there’s some talented athletes within this class,” Dorsey said at his pre-draft press conference. “I think they have different skill-sets that vary, some better runners and this and that. Making the transition from college to the professional level is a different animal. Are there any sure-fire starters right off the bat, I personally do not (think so).”

Asked about Dak Prescott, Dorsey said that the Chiefs had him rated at about the spot he went (fourth round) and also admitted that he didn’t see Dak coming along like that but he went to the perfect situation.

Dorsey followed this up to say that there are guys in this draft worth drafting and developing. The Chiefs have had, from what’s been reported, seven quarterbacks in for a visit this year. It seems like they’re looking at quarterback harder this year but Dorsey says that’s not the case.

“It’s perception vs reality from where I sit,” Dorsey said when asked about the Chiefs looking at quarterbacks harder this year. “I attack every position every year the same way regardless of whether it’s a quarterback, punter, linebacker, wide receiver, long snapper. I do my diligence on every one and that’s why we stack those boards at the right positions.”

Most if not all teams that draft a QB to save their franchise never work out. A team should never HAVE to daft a QB. I like Smith and know he can win a SB, but I would have no problem with the Chiefs drafting a QB of the future and bringing him along slowly.

Agreed.

Dorsey saying that no QB is starter ready in this draft means absolutely nothing as to whether or not they would take a QB since they have no intention of starting a rookie.

Not much news in Dorsey's comments and not much deception.  Even the Coalition amateurs can see that there's no Elway, Manning, or Luck in this year's draft.  Odds are that some QB this year will develop into an above average starter, but it's a crap shoot which one it will be.  Odds are greater that there will be a lot of Geno Smiths, Manzells, or even Hogans, Croyles, and Murrays.

Dorsey addressed this in his presser last night....

He reiterate that he meant what he said.  "None of these QB's are ready to start this season in the NFL"... in his opinion.

He also reiterated that Mahomes is coming into "the perfect situation" with a Smart Solid Veteran he can learn from while being coached up by some of the best QB coaches in the NFL.

He actually doubled down on his earlier comment.

w

He has got unbelievable talent,” Dorsey said. “He’s got the skill set to be one of those truly great players. When you make an aggressive move like that, that’s why you do it. Because players like that, they don’t come around too often.”

Sounds like "the kid can start right away" to me.....

Big difference between talent and talent + experience.  Gotta develop judgement and timing, footwork and rapport with receivers.  The Chiefs are a good team and will expect to win and hope the playoffs this fall.  No reason to throw away the season to get Mahomes in earlier.  A 4-12 team might do that.  A 12-4 team doesn't have to.

He has got unbelievable talent,” Dorsey said. “He’s got the skill set to be one of those truly great players. When you make an aggressive move like that, that’s why you do it. Because players like that, they don’t come around too often.”

You're reading into his statement. He's not ready to start. And he won't be starting this year.

Wonder if that was all smoke now?

I love this time of year....right after lying on taxes, the lie on the draft....its kismet!

What smoke.  Dorsey said no QB in the draft would be ready to start this year.  The staff has announced that Smith is the QB this season.  Seems pretty consistent to me.  Some team, maybe the Bears or even the Texans, might start their rookies, but that doesn't mean they're ready.  It means there's no expectation of winning so might as well get the experience process started.  Were Goff and Wentz ready a year ago?  Some spotty success, but not ready to win every week.

You're reading into his statement. He's not ready to start. And he won't be starting this year.

not over Smith for crying out loud

the kid's got a gun... all he needs is some tutoring and a few seasons under his belt.

gonna be fun to watch.

not over Smith for crying out loud

the kid's got a gun... all he needs is some tutoring and a few seasons under his belt.

gonna be fun to watch.

Agreed. Can't wait to see this kid next offseason to see how far he's progressed.

Agreed. Can't wait to see this kid next offseason to see how far he's progressed.

I want to see him in St. Joe this fall.  Smith may get most of the snaps with the ones, but Mahomes will get all the attention, especially if he airs it out seventy yds. down field.

So what Dorsey needed to say was, "The kid has no talent. We are starting from scratch. We are gonna have to show him how to grip a ball, call a signal. This will take a lot of time before he is a starter."

Come on Hands.. you are smarter than this.

So what Dorsey needed to say was, "The kid has no talent. We are starting from scratch. We are gonna have to show him how to grip a ball, call a signal. This will take a lot of time before he is a starter."

It's passive-aggressive trolling.  He gets off on it.

How many great QBs were effective their first season?  Marino and ??????????????  Get real.

No, I think you have the homer glasses on for Dorsey.

I take less issue with the second statement. I find it funny that they even come out and say anything....gamemanship

Archived