NFL draft trade rumors: Chiefs could get into the teens if they wanted to

Peter King of The MMQB starts off the 2017 NFL draft week with a little trade rumor. King says that two teams in the teens - Ravens (16th) and Titans (18th) would be willing to trade back in the draft and he names a couple other teams who could be interested in moving up.

I won’t be surprised if the Giants (seeking a tackle), scheduled to pick 23rd, or the Texans (seeking a quarterback), scheduled to pick 25th, move up into the teens. Baltimore (16) and Tennessee (18) would be happy to move down.

He doesn’t mention the Chiefs but we recently pointed them out as a possible trade-up candidate given their few glaring needs and abundance of picks (10). Could the Chiefs trade up into the teens? Sure, they could.

According to the draft trade value chart (which, despite its shortcomings, remains the best we got), the Chiefs could give up a first and second or a first and third packaged with other picks to move into the 16th or 18th spot.

I’m not a fan of trading up unless it’s for a premium position ... like quarterback. I don’t even think I would be a fan of trading up for other premium positions like cornerback or even a pass rusher, at least not this year. Would the Chiefs give up extra picks for one of the unproven quarterbacks in this draft? If they want to, the trade chart says they could.

Agree with WP.  There's no position of need other than QB that the Chiefs need to trade up for.  Maybe it's better to have a higher pick for LB, edge, or CB, but the draft is deep enough at those positions to wait and there's nothing worse than trading up to draft a bust while the second round pick at the same position makes all-pro.

I have no problem with the Chiefs trading up. They have 10 picks. Would it be the end of the world if Dorsey packaged together something and moved up and we wound up with only 7 picks? In my opinion if you can get 3 players out of the draft that are solid contributors you've done pretty well. The rest will be back ups/ STers or gone in a couple of years.

ILB, Dline and pass rush are big concerns for this year. To a lesser extent CB. I would take care of that first unless I fell in love with a QB that falls within reach.

If there is a RB, WR or O lineman that you think is a future Pro Bowler in rounds 1-3, I think you have to pull the trigger.

Archived