Gareon Conley - La'el Collins 2.0?

Was accused of Rape, name came out today, two days before draft.  Naturally, very adamant he is innocent.  Projected 1st rounder, I saw several mocks putting him with the Chiefs.  Probably one of the best 3 CBs available in the draft.  This guy could very well go undrafted, just like La'el Collins and be 100% innocent.  Do you take a chance?  If so, when?  For me, its basically deciding at what value is the risk worth the instant release if the guy is guilty.  I'd say anywhere at the 5th rd or later I'd take him.  Thoughts?

This just feels similar to La'El Collins.  God  knows if he goes to the Police this week like he says he is and gets cleared by next Monday without being drafted, he's gonna end up playing for the Patriots, Seahawks, or Cowboys when he gets to choose as a USFA...

This just feels similar to La'El Collins.  God  knows if he goes to the Police this week like he says he is and gets cleared by next Monday without being drafted, he's gonna end up playing for the Patriots, Seahawks, or Cowboys when he gets to choose as a USFA...

it is unfortunate for Conley that this has come out now..is it true or is this someone who he spurned that is looking for payback and a payday? nobody knows at this point...

It is nothing like La'El Collins. Collins was never being accused of anything. He was just an involved party. To my knowledge he was never seriously considered a suspect. Someone the police just wanted to talk to because of his prior knowledge and relationship with the victim.

That is a far cry from being the one having the finger pointed at you and having someone say "He did it!".Not sure how he is going to be cleared by talking to the police either. He could say anything he wants to contradict the accuser but until evidence is presented to clear his name he the accused and will be under a cloud until he is cleared or convicted.

Well...a ton of stuff is coming out, both witnesses and video that are telling a very different story than that of the accuser...so we shall see...

And it very well could turn out he is innocent. Wouldn't be the first time a guy was falsely accused of rape (remember the Duke Lacrosse team scandal?)

I just see the Collins and Conley thing as two different things. Chiefs absolutely blew it on Collins. He would have been worth any team taking him as a 7th round pick. Even knowing he wasn't being specifically accused of anything KC passed on him. Dumb.

If the Chiefs pass on Conley I will not fault them. Too much going on with it to be able to say with certainty he is clear of wrongdoing.

And it very well could turn out he is innocent. Wouldn't be the first time a guy was falsely accused of rape (remember the Duke Lacrosse team scandal?)

I just see the Collins and Conley thing as two different things. Chiefs absolutely blew it on Collins. He would have been worth any team taking him as a 7th round pick. Even knowing he wasn't being specifically accused of anything KC passed on him. Dumb.

If the Chiefs pass on Conley I will not fault them. Too much going on with it to be able to say with certainty he is clear of wrongdoing.

Collins was saying if a team didn't pick him in the first he would sit out a year rather than play. Under those circumstances I hardly think the chiefs blew it.

I read reports that say 20+ teams have contacted Conley to speak personally about this.  The reports say the majority of teams are confident that this will go away, but he will still probably drop his stock some.  The report also went to say at least 5 GMs would risk a 3rd round pick on him...

I think the chiefs either trade down with their 2nd round pick if possible to get him or use their plethora of lower round picks to trade up into the 3rd and get him.  We blew a 3rd rounder on Russell last year and were still okay...I think its worth the risk

Collins was saying if a team didn't pick him in the first he would sit out a year rather than play. Under those circumstances I hardly think the chiefs blew it.

And yet he was picked up as an undrafted player and played. Sounds like a hollow threat to me.

Archived