Semo's 2017 NFL Draft - Round 1 - Final

2017 NFL Draft - Round 1

1 - Cleveland - Myles Garrett DE/OLB Texas A&M

- There is buzz about Trubisky going at this pick, but even Cleveland is not stupid enough to pass on who is by far the best player in the draft.

2 - San Francisco - Solomon Thomas DE/OLB Stanford

- The 49ers would love to trade out of this pick, proclaiming recently that they are "open for business."  They won't find any takers, unless someone is desperate for a QB or Fournette.  They will take Thomas to upgrade their defense.

3 - Chicago - Jamal Adams S LSU

- Chicago needs to upgrade the secondary.  This could be a spot where Lattimore could go also.

4 - Jacksonville - Leonard Fournette RB LSU

- The Jags love Fournette and will run their card to the table.

5 - Tennessee (from LA Rams) - Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State

- The Titans could go for a luxury pick like Howard here, having another round 1 pick.  Instead, they go with the drafts best corner.

6 - Cleveland (from NY Jets) - Mitchell Trubisky QB North Carolina

- Cleveland trades 2017 1st, 2nd and 6th round picks for Jets 1st and get the QB that they covet.

7 - LA Chargers - Mike Williams WR Clemson

-Scouting circles are all over the place here.  Could be QB or a DB.  Or, LA takes a weapon for Rivers.  A nice upgrade for a receiving core that can't seem to stay healthy.

8 - Carolina - Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford

- Carolina supposedly loves Fournette.  With him off of the board, they will go with another RB that they covet.

9 - Cincinnati - Jonathan Allen DE/DT Alabama

- This pick could be Foster or Allen.  Cinci won't pass on Allen's talent, who falls a little to this pick due to questions around his medical.

10 - Buffalo - DeShaun Watson QB Clemson

-Taylor's extension has an opt out clause after the 2017 season.  Watson will have some time to develop.

11 - New Orleans - Reuben Foster ILB Alabama

-Pass rusher, corner, and linebacker are all in play here.  The saints go with the playmaking backer.

12 - Washington (from Philadelphia, from Cleveland, from NYJ) - Haasan Reddick ILB/OLB Temple

-The Skins trade picks 17, 81, and a 2018 4th rounder to the Jets to select Reddick. 

13 - Arizona - Marlon Humphrey CB Alabama

-Rumors are that AZ is enamored with Mahomes, and he could be the pick.  But, with Palmer a year or two from retirement, they go all in now and select who some call the draft's best corner to pair with Peterson.

14 - Philadelphia (from Minnesota) - Dalvin Cook RB Florida State

- Philly loves Cook and are not scared of the off field concerns.  Pederson gets his Jamaal Charles.

15 - Indianapolis - Taco Charlton DE/OLB Michigan

- Indy needs lots of help and could opt for a tackle to help Luck out.  But, another way to help him is for the defense to get off of the field quicker.  Charlton will help that cause.

16 - Baltimore - Derek Barnett DE/OLB Tennessee

- Receiver, offensive line and pass rusher top the Ravens' list in round 1.  They will go with sack master Barnett to help their aging pass rushers.

17 - New York Jets (from Washington) - Malik Hooker S Ohio State

- Jets need secondary help and Hooker's medicals cause him to fall a little to their pick.

18 - Tennessee - OJ Howard TE Alabama

- If not for a stacked defensive draft, Howard would go higher.  Tennessee takes another weapon for Mariota.

19 - Tampa Bay - Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

- With the top RBs off of the board, the Bucs go for another toy for Winston.

20 - Denver - Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin

- Denver has to upgrade their offensive line if they want to complete in the AFC Best. 

21 - Detroit - David Njoku TE Miami

- The Lions have nothing at TE and Njoku could get Stafford the MVP.

22 - Miami - Forrest Lamp OG Western Kentucky

- Miami needs interior line help and they supposedly love Lamp. 

23 - Kansas City (from NY Giants) - Patrick Mahomes QB Texas Tech

- Kansas City trades picks 27 and 104 to the Giants for pick 23.  Dorsey makes his move for a QB. 

24 - Oakland - Kevin King CB Washington

- Oakland needs 2nd and 3rd tier help on their defense.  Cunningham and Davis are in play here as well, but they will add a corner to shore up the secondary.

25 - Houston - Cam Robinson OT Alabama

- With Mahomes off of the board, Houston will add talent to their line here, and wait to get a QB.

26 - Seattle - Garett Bolles OT Utah

- Wilson didn't have a lot of time last year.  They go with a tackle here.  McDowell is a possibility also to add to the defensive line.

27 - New York Giants - Jarrad Davis ILB Florida

- This pick will be Cunningham or Davis.  Scouts say they like Davis more.  He comes off of the board here.

28 - Dallas - TJ Watt DE/OLB/ILB Wisconsin

- Dallas needs help with rushing the passer and in the secondary.  Watt will help both spots.

29 - Green Bay - Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado

- There is a lot of chatter about this possibly being where Mixon goes.  I don't think that the Pack can pull the trigger just yet, and will opt to upgrade their secondary and see if Mixon falls to their 2nd round pick.

30 - Pittsburgh - Jabrill Peppers S Michigan

- Pitt will be a good fit for Peppers.  They could go for McKinley as well.

31 - Atlanta - Takkarist McKinley DE/OLB UCLA

- With Lamp off the board, the dirty birds will upgrade the pass rush with McKinleys non stop motor.

32 - New Orleans (from New England) - Charles Harris DE/OLB Missouri

- The Saints will add another piece to their defense, whether it be a pass rusher or corner.  With a deep corner class, they will wait to get one later and go with a pass rusher here.

If the Chiefs do make a move to get Mahomes and he's turns out to be another Todd Blackledge..and they wiff on  perennial Pro Bowl  LBrs or other positions of need..man o man.

I'm not a Draft Geek nor am a College Football Geek.  I have no dea who this Mahomes kid is. I do watch some Notre Dame Football enough to know I don't want Kizer in the first 2-3 rounds. I am a bit burnt out on Alex Smith. I was hoping as I am sure many of you all were hoping as well that one of these Drafted QB's would of made a good showing.

All I can say is this.. they draft Mahomes and he ends up being a Sanchez or just some Matt Cassel type. I never want to hear a whine about Drafting a QB high again until the Chiefs have a top 3 pick in an 1983 type of class of QBs

I like it Semo. Pretty much nailed every pick. I see you have Jarrad Davis creeping into late first. I hear the Bucs are rumored to trade down as well. 19th could be an option. As long as we leap frog Houston I would assume. I think Mahomes just might be the guy. It's time to try and groom a QB boys. We have 10 picks in this draft and the most ready roster - all 10 draftees will not make the team. Reid and Dorsey have waited for this moment - Alex Smith will be a nice mentor.

This team is currently a contender.  They won the west and they are ascending.  Even the league gets it with all the prime time games and kicking the season off against the Pats.

We need help on the D-Line, RB &  Inside LB right now.

Funny thing about the draft, we end the college season saying not a single one of these QB's are worth a first round pick....then the draft comes and the hype has taken hold and 2-3 of them get taken in the first round.....a year or two later we look back and wonder why 90% of these guys end up failing?

w

This team is currently a contender. They won the west and they are ascending. Even the league gets it with all the prime time games and kicking the season off against the Pats.

We need help on the D-Line, RB & Inside LB right now.

Funny thing about the draft, we end the college season saying not a single one of these QB's are worth a first round pick....then the draft comes and the hype has taken hold and 2-3 of them get taken in the first round.....a year or two later we look back and wonder why 90% of these guys end up failing?

w

That's the cost of doing business when selecting qbs today. With the proliferation of the spread game in college it is how it's going to work for the foreseeable future. College coaches get paid to win not to prepare qbs for the NFL. And the spread is a proven winner even with lower ranked recruits.

If the Chiefs do make a move to get Mahomes and he's turns out to be another Todd Blackledge..and they wiff on  perennial Pro Bowl  LBrs or other positions of need..man o man.

I'm not a Draft Geek nor am a College Football Geek.  I have no dea who this Mahomes kid is. I do watch some Notre Dame Football enough to know I don't want Kizer in the first 2-3 rounds. I am a bit burnt out on Alex Smith. I was hoping as I am sure many of you all were hoping as well that one of these Drafted QB's would of made a good showing.

All I can say is this.. they draft Mahomes and he ends up being a Sanchez or just some Matt Cassel type. I never want to hear a whine about Drafting a QB high again until the Chiefs have a top 3 pick in an 1983 type of class of QBs

I feel pretty much the same way.  Drafting a QB not named Elway or Manning is a crap shoot with a high chance of failure.  But the Chiefs are in position to draft potential and wait one year, maybe two, to develop it.  Mahomes fits that description.  Also consider that whoever the Chiefs grab in the first could be a bust no matter the position.  Ryan Sims, anyone?  We trust Dorsey to be a better evaluator than the Chiefs staff in the past, but I'll take the chance on Mahomes and a day two LB over a first round LB and no future beyond Smith. Of course, there's always the chance the Chiefs could prosper with a second day QB who becomes the class of the draft.  

That's silly. If you strike out on a QB, you try again.

That mindset is exactly why they haven't tried in nearly 35 years.

I think that if their two guys are gone in the teens we don't go QB. If one falls into the 20s, I can see a trade up. Otherwise I thus they try for a pass rusher. Line or ILB if a guy they love is there. But I put my money on a pass rusher if we draft at 27.

Before Kevin King was a reach to take him at pick #27. :rolleyes:

Right, and I still don't like the pick at #27.  The Chiefs need an ILB and edge before CB.  There will be at least one of those worth a top pick when the Chiefs select.  If the Giants are willing to trade down four slots, and they should still get their guy, they might trade if Mahomes and/or Watson are still on the board.  One of them might even still be available at #27.  Aside from that possibility, the Chiefs have to address their woeful run defense.

2017 NFL Draft - Round 1

1 - Cleveland - Myles Garrett DE/OLB Texas A&M

- There is buzz about Trubisky going at this pick, but even Cleveland is not stupid enough to pass on who is by far the best player in the draft.

2 - San Francisco - Solomon Thomas DE/OLB Stanford

- The 49ers would love to trade out of this pick, proclaiming recently that they are "open for business."  They won't find any takers, unless someone is desperate for a QB or Fournette.  They will take Thomas to upgrade their defense.

3 - Chicago - Jamal Adams S LSU

- Chicago needs to upgrade the secondary.  This could be a spot where Lattimore could go also.

4 - Jacksonville - Leonard Fournette RB LSU

- The Jags love Fournette and will run their card to the table.

5 - Tennessee (from LA Rams) - Marshon Lattimore CB Ohio State

- The Titans could go for a luxury pick like Howard here, having another round 1 pick.  Instead, they go with the drafts best corner.

6 - Cleveland (from NY Jets) - Mitchell Trubisky QB North Carolina

- Cleveland trades 2017 1st, 2nd and 6th round picks for Jets 1st and get the QB that they covet.

7 - LA Chargers - Mike Williams WR Clemson

-Scouting circles are all over the place here.  Could be QB or a DB.  Or, LA takes a weapon for Rivers.  A nice upgrade for a receiving core that can't seem to stay healthy.

8 - Carolina - Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford

- Carolina supposedly loves Fournette.  With him off of the board, they will go with another RB that they covet.

9 - Cincinnati - Jonathan Allen DE/DT Alabama

- This pick could be Foster or Allen.  Cinci won't pass on Allen's talent, who falls a little to this pick due to questions around his medical.

10 - Buffalo - DeShaun Watson QB Clemson

-Taylor's extension has an opt out clause after the 2017 season.  Watson will have some time to develop.

11 - New Orleans - Reuben Foster ILB Alabama

-Pass rusher, corner, and linebacker are all in play here.  The saints go with the playmaking backer.

12 - Washington (from Philadelphia, from Cleveland, from NYJ) - Haasan Reddick ILB/OLB Temple

-The Skins trade picks 17, 81, and a 2018 4th rounder to the Jets to select Reddick. 

13 - Arizona - Marlon Humphrey CB Alabama

-Rumors are that AZ is enamored with Mahomes, and he could be the pick.  But, with Palmer a year or two from retirement, they go all in now and select who some call the draft's best corner to pair with Peterson.

14 - Philadelphia (from Minnesota) - Dalvin Cook RB Florida State

- Philly loves Cook and are not scared of the off field concerns.  Pederson gets his Jamaal Charles.

15 - Indianapolis - Taco Charlton DE/OLB Michigan

- Indy needs lots of help and could opt for a tackle to help Luck out.  But, another way to help him is for the defense to get off of the field quicker.  Charlton will help that cause.

16 - Baltimore - Derek Barnett DE/OLB Tennessee

- Receiver, offensive line and pass rusher top the Ravens' list in round 1.  They will go with sack master Barnett to help their aging pass rushers.

17 - New York Jets (from Washington) - Malik Hooker S Ohio State

- Jets need secondary help and Hooker's medicals cause him to fall a little to their pick.

18 - Tennessee - OJ Howard TE Alabama

- If not for a stacked defensive draft, Howard would go higher.  Tennessee takes another weapon for Mariota.

19 - Tampa Bay - Corey Davis WR Western Michigan

- With the top RBs off of the board, the Bucs go for another toy for Winston.

20 - Denver - Ryan Ramczyk OT Wisconsin

- Denver has to upgrade their offensive line if they want to complete in the AFC Best. 

21 - Detroit - David Njoku TE Miami

- The Lions have nothing at TE and Njoku could get Stafford the MVP.

22 - Miami - Forrest Lamp OG Western Kentucky

- Miami needs interior line help and they supposedly love Lamp. 

23 - Kansas City (from NY Giants) - Patrick Mahomes QB Texas Tech

- Kansas City trades picks 27 and 104 to the Giants for pick 23.  Dorsey makes his move for a QB. 

24 - Oakland - Kevin King CB Washington

- Oakland needs 2nd and 3rd tier help on their defense.  Cunningham and Davis are in play here as well, but they will add a corner to shore up the secondary.

25 - Houston - Cam Robinson OT Alabama

- With Mahomes off of the board, Houston will add talent to their line here, and wait to get a QB.

26 - Seattle - Garett Bolles OT Utah

- Wilson didn't have a lot of time last year.  They go with a tackle here.  McDowell is a possibility also to add to the defensive line.

27 - New York Giants - Jarrad Davis ILB Florida

- This pick will be Cunningham or Davis.  Scouts say they like Davis more.  He comes off of the board here.

28 - Dallas - TJ Watt DE/OLB/ILB Wisconsin

- Dallas needs help with rushing the passer and in the secondary.  Watt will help both spots.

29 - Green Bay - Chidobe Awuzie CB Colorado

- There is a lot of chatter about this possibly being where Mixon goes.  I don't think that the Pack can pull the trigger just yet, and will opt to upgrade their secondary and see if Mixon falls to their 2nd round pick.

30 - Pittsburgh - Jabrill Peppers S Michigan

- Pitt will be a good fit for Peppers.  They could go for McKinley as well.

31 - Atlanta - Takkarist McKinley DE/OLB UCLA

- With Lamp off the board, the dirty birds will upgrade the pass rush with McKinleys non stop motor.

32 - New Orleans (from New England) - Charles Harris DE/OLB Missouri

- The Saints will add another piece to their defense, whether it be a pass rusher or corner.  With a deep corner class, they will wait to get one later and go with a pass rusher here.

7 for 32.  That sucks.  :D

Archived