2017 NFL draft thread

The more I think about it, the more sense the Chiefs' move makes.  They don't expect to be in position to draft in the top quarter, #8 or higher, in the next few years.  Smith has averaged about 11 wins/season so drafting a QB could be just as expensive in the near future.  Smith has at least a year, maybe two, so the Chiefs can take time to develop potential rather than try to nab an instant starter.  Dorsey and Reid seem to think Mahomes is a guy they can train to become elite.  It's a perfect fit, at least as they see it.  Did they pay too much?  We won't know until we see who they could have drafted on the first day next year, but if shedding Smith's cap hit in 2018 is a byproduct of having Mahomes, they may be able to grab a FA LB or edge guy.  I'm glad to see the Chiefs plan for the long term while keeping a good present team in tact.   

• 2 years later...

The Chiefs may have misjudged as well.  They probably were caught by surprise when Mahomes put up the numbers and wins he did in 2018 and as a result had to scramble to gear up for a run this year.  Thus the signing of Clark, HB, Breeland Okafor, etc.  They didn't have time to build through the draft.  The future was NOW.  Now they have to sacrifice to the cap gods and it will be a scramble.  It's going to be an interesting off season. 

25 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs may have misjudged as well.  They probably were caught by surprise when Mahomes put up the numbers and wins he did in 2018 and as a result had to scramble to gear up for a run this year.  Thus the signing of Clark, HB, Breeland Okafor, etc.  They didn't have time to build through the draft.  The future was NOW.  Now they have to sacrifice to the cap gods and it will be a scramble.  It's going to be an interesting off season. 

I dont think they have to sacrifice anything to cap Gods. They took their hits releasing Houston and Berry. They then signed talent ahead for a future 4-3 switch and also signed players cuttable this year and next. I think they have done it right. There is no way a team will be able to sign all its FAs each year. If Jones cant be signed them trade him. That means though we can use that money to resign or sign other FA too plus get draft picks. I think we are in a good situation to develop talent this year, especiall along the line for possible FA leaving next year. Veach seems to be kne step ahead on things like this.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

I dont think they have to sacrifice anything to cap Gods. They took their hits releasing Houston and Berry. They then signed talent ahead for a future 4-3 switch and also signed players cuttable this year and next. I think they have done it right. There is no way a team will be able to sign all its FAs each year. If Jones cant be signed them trade him. That means though we can use that money to resign or sign other FA too plus get draft picks. I think we are in a good situation to develop talent this year, especiall along the line for possible FA leaving next year. Veach seems to be kne step ahead on things like this.

My thought was that they sacrificed Jones for the future to get Clark this season or maybe renegotiate a reasonable deal with Watkins.  Maybe they lose Fuller and/or Sorenson to sign the HB.  This isn't a complaint.  The Chiefs went all in for this season and they won.  FINALLY.  But the Chiefs may have peaked when it comes to Mahomes weapons.  How do they repeat the trio of Kelce, Hill, and Watkins without more cap room?  For all the complaints about Watkins being overpaid, and I'm one of the complainers, do you think Hardman would have burned Sherman on the Chiefs lead taking drive?  The Chiefs will pay for the FAs they brought in this year and will have to draft very well and issue some creative contracts to make it up. 

22 minutes ago, jetlord said:

My thought was that they sacrificed Jones for the future to get Clark this season or maybe renegotiate a reasonable deal with Watkins.  Maybe they lose Fuller and/or Sorenson to sign the HB.  This isn't a complaint.  The Chiefs went all in for this season and they won.  FINALLY.  But the Chiefs may have peaked when it comes to Mahomes weapons.  How do they repeat the trio of Kelce, Hill, and Watkins without more cap room?  For all the complaints about Watkins being overpaid, and I'm one of the complainers, do you think Hardman would have burned Sherman on the Chiefs lead taking drive?  The Chiefs will pay for the FAs they brought in this year and will have to draft very well and issue some creative contracts to make it up. 

I think Hardman taking this year to learn and provide valuable playing time when Watkins and/or Hill was out helped. His 2nd year he should do really well with the plays etc. The thing is, I do think we get a taller type WR that can be the red zone type threat. A bigger body type. If Watkins does not do it cheap, there will be others on a prove it deal that want to win and play with Mahomes.