General consensus on the 1st rd Pick?

Well hopefully he works his off and it's only a year.

I am guessing that is the plan, and that we will trade Alex to get our 1st round pick back next year if we see Mahomes developing at that rate.  Gaining cap space and not actually losing a first round pick makes this move to get Mahomes not really that big of a risk.

Not only that, but a team willing to give up a first to get Alex will likely be a QB desperate team that will be drafting high in 2018.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am guessing that is the plan, and that we will trade Alex to get our 1st round pick back next year if we see Mahomes developing at that rate.  Gaining cap space and not actually losing a first round pick makes this move to get Mahomes not really that big of a risk.

Not only that, but a team willing to give up a first to get Alex will likely be a QB desperate team that will be drafting high in 2018.

you think  someone is going to give a first round pick for a $21 million QB  thats only average? HA!

I was referring to Favre & Rogers & McNabb..now go back into your cubicle :P

To be honest, Rodgers was after Reid was gone....

Dorsey was there for both Favre and Rodgers....

McNabb was all Reid....in Phliadelphia....there was a reason Reid traded his starting Qb to a Division rival..... :ph34r:

To be honest, Rodgers was after Reid was gone....

Dorsey was there for both Favre and Rodgers....

McNabb was all Reid....in Phliadelphia....there was a reason Reid traded his starting Qb to a Division rival..... :ph34r:

you need fresh air... you confirmed my point that between Dorsey & Reid they have been around some pretty damned fine QBs

Quote on Baltimore sportstalk radio

"What the hell is KC doing? You have a team who was in the playoffs last year and needs immediate help and you trade up to draft a QB who will sit for 2 years"

"Who has Andy Reid 'developed'? McNabb, the 3rd OVERALL Pick? Smith, the #1 OVERALL Pick? And he's still a Game Manager !!!"

"What the hell is KC doing? You have a team who was in the playoffs last year and needs immediate help and you trade up to draft a QB who will sit for 2 years"

"Who has Andy Reid 'developed'? McNabb, the 3rd OVERALL Pick? Smith, the #1 OVERALL Pick? And he's still a Game Manager !!!"

Eh... no immediate help needed. One spot holding this team back.

The only think KC really "needed" was a middle backer..

KC is doing what they should have done a long time ago.

Playoffs mean nothing when you know you can't win the big one.

That just shows how stupid a typical sports analyst is.

Ridiculous!  Only if a team is thinking of the short term would they draft exclusively for the immediate season.  We want the Chiefs to win this year, but we also want them to be better three years down the road.  There's also nothing to get the fan base excited like drafting a QBOTF.  Dorsey isn't deaf.  He knows the ticket holders are wanting more than 11 wins and a first round loss.  Even though Mahomes won't play for at least a year in all likely hood, people in KC will take a new interest in the team.

Eh... no immediate help needed. One spot holding this team back.

The only think KC really "needed" was a middle backer..

KC is doing what they should have done a long time ago.

Playoffs mean nothing when you know you can't win the big one.

Don't even necessarily "immediately need" an ILB with Ramik Wilson, DJ, and Mauga still on the roster

Ravens is bad with no ray ray sowwway

The last rookie QB that replaced Alex Smith went to the Super Bowl, Mahomes gives the Chiefs IMO a better chance of getting to the SB this year.

I believe Alex gave that rookie QB a 7-0 start. He's a regular season winner and now knows he needs to get to the SB or he's done. It's perfect how this is working out. Alex must now get to the SB or AFC champ at least to not be released

Worth the trade up?

Can he play?

I'll give Reid the benefit of the doubt that he make something out of the young man. Look at what he did with McNabb and Smith.

Mahomes can play, I've watched him live twice, he a gunslinger who carried Texas Tech on his back for years.  He forces throws, makes dumb mistakes from time to time, but he is a playmaker and really fun to watch.

So if Alex Smith gets to the SB and wins we keep him and have taken Mahomes to be his backup, is that what your saying, because what I am saying is the AS has had his chance and it's time to replace him.

It's better for the young QB to learn not to force interceptions. No rookie QB has ever won a superbowl and it won't happen next year

I guess I’m the only one who isn’t thrilled with this pick.  I’ll reserve judgment on the player and give him a chance, but not on trading up 17 spots.

Chiefs can win now.  Every year some fans say KC needs to go to the Superbowl or the season is a failure.  Mahomes doesn’t help them get to the Superbowl this year or probably next year either (maybe never).

QBs coming from a spread offense in college don’t have a good record of success in the NFL.  He may be great, but he’s equally likely to be average or worse.  Two firsts and a third is a lot to give up for a project, especially considering how many people bitched about 2 seconds for Smith.

we could have traded back into the first to get foster also but it did not happen..guess they have other plans

Wouldn't have had to trade back into the first round. They would have just picked Foster. And they'd have another third-rounder this year. And their next year's first-round pick.

But the Chiefs have a backup quarterback now!

I guess I’m the only one who isn’t thrilled with this pick.

You're not the only one. If you're not a member of the I Hate Smith club, you're evidently not a real Chiefs fan. That's what I've learned today.

"Winning Super Bowls" is all that matters. That is, unless the quarterback hasn't started a game yet. Then all that matters is that the Chiefs have a quarterback they drafted. That's what the Rams celebrated in 2016, what the Buccaneers celebrated in 2015, what the Jaguars celebrated in 2014, the Bills in 2013, Colts in 2012, Panthers in 2011, the Rams in 2010, etc.

It's nice to know that the Chiefs have achieved being like a bunch of teams that haven't won a Super Bowl with "their quarterback".

You're not the only one. If you're not a member of the I Hate Smith club, you're evidently not a real Chiefs fan. That's what I've learned today.

"Winning Super Bowls" is all that matters. That is, unless the quarterback hasn't started a game yet. Then all that matters is that the Chiefs have a quarterback they drafted. That's what the Rams celebrated in 2016, what the Buccaneers celebrated in 2015, what the Jaguars celebrated in 2014, the Bills in 2013, Colts in 2012, Panthers in 2011, the Rams in 2010, etc.

It's nice to know that the Chiefs have achieved being like a bunch of teams that haven't won a Super Bowl with "their quarterback".

I like Alex Smith and I vouch for the Mahomes pick. Having been a Chiefs fans for decades i'm thrilled. Whether or not Mahomes pans out or not it's the risk that I like. He has all the talent to learn and become a better pocket passer under Smith and Reid.

It's nice to know that the Chiefs have achieved being like a bunch of teams that haven't won a Super Bowl with "their quarterback".

Quit whining. Your boy can't play forever.

Archived