From nfl.com:

Kansas City Chiefs: Kansas City fans are probably already fuming, but don't misunderstand me. Saying the Chiefs blew this draft an hour after the event ended would be foolish. The question worth posing is What were the Chiefs trying to accomplish? This is a team everyone thinks is ready to compete now. Quarterback Patrick Mahomes, for all his talent, is considered a project. OK, so I'm guessing coach Andy Reid will roll with (a highly motivated) Alex Smith. Bear in mind, though, the Chiefs traded up to take Mahomes, giving up next year's first round pick to do this. Let's say KC goes 11-5 and makes it to the AFC Championship Game with Smith playing well in the process. Then the Chiefs will, as of now, enter 2018 without a first-round-caliber player to fill voids at inside linebacker, in the secondary or at receiver. Running back Kareem Hunt (Round 3, No. 86), by all accounts, can contribute, but where does he fit in for a team ready to win today? I like the Tanoh Kpassagnon choice (Round 2, No. 59 overall). The defensive end might play right away.

Meanwhile, teams like the Browns are winning praise for letting value come to them.

The Chiefs chased a quarterback that is a project. The wisdom or foolishness of that won't be known until years from now, but there's no question that this draft was not about 2017 or 2018, which leads me to wonder: Why are Chiefs fans so happy? This is a team that once again lacked the personnel depth at enough key positions to survive through their first week of the post-season, and they appear to have invested very little in those positions.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From nfl.com:

Meanwhile, teams like the Browns are winning praise for letting value come to them.

The Chiefs chased a quarterback that is a project. The wisdom or foolishness of that won't be known until years from now, but there's no question that this draft was not about 2017 or 2018, which leads me to wonder: Why are Chiefs fans so happy? This is a team that once again lacked the personnel depth at enough key positions to survive through their first week of the post-season, and they appear to have invested very little in those positions.

The Browns get a lot of praise for their drafts and how has it translated for them on the field?

That dudes insight blows.

This isn't that hard figure out. Alex has a cap hit of 20 mill in 18. They were never going to pay a guy on the downside of his career that is producing what he does. They found a guy they believe that can be the future at the position And did what it took to get him. Not that complicated.

I love it

From nfl.com:

The browns also drafted the asshole from florida who punched a woman in the face just two weeks ago, go ahead and praise that!!

dude we are all getting so tired of your constant BS about how KC Fans are so unfair and mean to Alex Smith...wonder how many internet articles you had

to sift through just to find the one writer who agrees with you and goldbrick about the chiefs reaching for Mahomes. Newsflash: the chiefs are thinking about the

future and there are 17 million reasons why Smith is not going to be in it

Andy Reid met with Mahomes in a room for six solid hours and from what I have heard he came away with the belief that Mahomes could lead this team now, that is why they moved up to get him.

I agree that the pick was for a starter, but they met with a bunch of quarterbacks for six hours each. Obviously, they like Mahomes the most. Dorsey, for smoke and mirrors said before the draft that no one was ready to start. Dorsey, for the sake of this year, reiterated that afterwards to avoid the QB controversy. But it could also still be true that Dorsey feels that he would need some work.

They are no doubt going to take as much advantage that we can of their situation and that would include having Smith under center Week One. When confirming Smith as their starter months ago, they always said 2017. They, of course, implied it meant beyond that, but it seemed like they always had that qualification in there.

I'm still bothered by the lack of shoring up the run defense and edge rush.  Also seemed that the Chiefs traded up in later rounds to get players that they could have picked at their normal times.  However, last year's draft wasn't loaded with prominent players for the Chiefs and they came out pretty good with the exception of Russell.  Gotta trust Dorsey.  He saw something in Hunt that he didn't in Brian Hill or Marlon Mack.  He must have a plan to fix the LB position.  The staff knows the condition of DJ and March and we don't so I think the writer is a little premature in blowing off the Chiefs' plans.

I'm still bothered by the lack of shoring up the run defense and edge rush. Also seemed that the Chiefs traded up in later rounds to get players that they could have picked at their normal times. However, last year's draft wasn't loaded with prominent players for the Chiefs and they came out pretty good with the exception of Russell. Gotta trust Dorsey. He saw something in Hunt that he didn't in Brian Hill or Marlon Mack. He must have a plan to fix the LB position. The staff knows the condition of DJ and March and we don't so I think the writer is a little premature in blowing off the Chiefs' plans.

That plan is that the Chiefs had the most injury plagued front 7 in the NFL last season...and it wasn't close. Dorsey wants to see what he has before using picks to fix it.

I don't know why there is a perception that we got no help for this year. We are very thin at D line and have gotten little pass rush from that group. This kid will get a lot of snaps even if he doesn't start.

The RB will get a lot if snaps.

As far as Mahomes, you have to have a plan post Alex. And if Alex gets hurt, I feel better with Mahomes than Bray.

As far as Mahomes, you have to have a plan post Alex. And if Alex gets hurt, I feel better with Mahomes than Bray.

Of course you need a plan, and replacing a playoff-winning quarterback with a quarterback capable of winning playoff games is desirable. It's the cost of acquiring a quarterback deemed not close to ready to start in the NFL that disturbs the pundits, and should disturb anyone on the Anyone-But-Smith Train. The responses here make it evident where everyone boarded.

As for the RB selection, it wasn't the position of need that ILB, G, and OLB were.

It was a high price, but pundits are almost always wrong about these players and how they will perform. If they think they have there guy, it is not crazy to give up two picks at the end of the first round.

For the RB, I do think it is a position of need if you make your team better. I like Ware a lot. West is not as high on my list. If Hunt can perform well, it helps the running game and the passing game. It reduces the wear in Ware. Plus you can survive an injury.

I was hoping for ILB and pass rush, but this makes a lot of sense. Especially with Smith's contact situation an losing 2 starters off the D line.

Dak Prescott had more yards and TD's than Alex Smith, Smith will be replaced this year.

I don't think Dorsey was blowing smoke when he said their wasn't a QB from this draft class ready to start. Reid Dorsey and even Clark have said Alex is the QB for the 2017 season. Unless Alex gets hurt Mahomes isn't going to start this year. If you are hoping he supplants Alex mid season I think you are going to be disappointed. Look at this year as a red shirt year.

If Alex Smith struggles at all he will be replaced by Mahomes just to keep the fans happy, mark it down. ;)

Doubt it. Mahomes will have to make unprecedented progress to climb up from third string designated clipboard holder. Reid is not one to cave to outside pressure and Dorsey and Clark will not pressure him to play mahomes before he's ready just because the fans want it.

I don't understand the contention that since Mahomes isn't ready to start, he's not worth investing in.  Favre wasn't ready to start his initial year or so.  Even Elway didn't light it up his first year.  Reid and Dorsey think Mahomes will be a starter in two (maybe one) year and took the risk to nab him.  I'm not one of the Alex haters.  He's helped turn this team from a consistent loser into one of the winningest regular season teams in the last four years.  But two years from now, he won't be the starter and the Chiefs have two choices.  Take another backup or develop a QBOTF.  Mahomes has the best raw skills of this year's class.  He may very well fail, but it won't be because he isn't ready to start this year.  Smith will win more games than anyone else the Chiefs could come up with THIS YEAR.  Now the Chiefs have a chance to win more games after Smith is gone.  Pretty simple.

The reason they took a QB this year was because of the pressure that the Chiefs have not taken a QB in the 1st round since Todd Blackledge, so if you don't think that there is no pressure to play this kid IMO you are wrong, like I said time will tell, but Alex Smith played 9 games as a rookie.

I don't understand the contention that since Mahomes isn't ready to start, he's not worth investing in. Favre wasn't ready to start his initial year or so. Even Elway didn't light it up his first year. Reid and Dorsey think Mahomes will be a starter in two (maybe one) year and took the risk to nab him. I'm not one of the Alex haters. He's helped turn this team from a consistent loser into one of the winningest regular season teams in the last four years. But two years from now, he won't be the starter and the Chiefs have two choices. Take another backup or develop a QBOTF. Mahomes has the best raw skills of this year's class. He may very well fail, but it won't be because he isn't ready to start this year. Smith will win more games than anyone else the Chiefs could come up with THIS YEAR. Now the Chiefs have a chance to win more games after Smith is gone. Pretty simple.

Word

I don't understand the contention that since Mahomes isn't ready to start, he's not worth investing in. Favre wasn't ready to start his initial year or so. Even Elway didn't light it up his first year. Reid and Dorsey think Mahomes will be a starter in two (maybe one) year and took the risk to nab him. I'm not one of the Alex haters. He's helped turn this team from a consistent loser into one of the winningest regular season teams in the last four years. But two years from now, he won't be the starter and the Chiefs have two choices. Take another backup or develop a QBOTF. Mahomes has the best raw skills of this year's class. He may very well fail, but it won't be because he isn't ready to start this year. Smith will win more games than anyone else the Chiefs could come up with THIS YEAR. Now the Chiefs have a chance to win more games after Smith is gone. Pretty simple.

Yep

Rivers didn't start his first year and he was a top 5 pick. Palmer was the #1 overall pick in 2003 and didn't even have a pass attempt that year.

Well said.

Dude...stop using logic and reason. It confuses those that opt for over reaction and hyperbole.

The reason they took a QB this year was because of the pressure that the Chiefs have not taken a QB in the 1st round since Todd Blackledge, so if you don't think that there is no pressure to play this kid IMO you are wrong, like I said time will tell, but Alex Smith played 9 games as a rookie.

Alex Smith played nine games in his rookie year because he was on a bad team that wasn't going to win anything that year, not even in the regular season. He was also the first overall draft pick which is a bit different than the 10th overall. No one had any support for the original starter like Smith has now. And support can be for this year only, I'm not talking about those who feel that Smith would be longer. Smith is also better than who the Niners had starting and will win more than they did. We also have a better coach than the Niners did and thirst would make better decisions than throwing him to the fire.

Archived