• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know we are in weird times when even walterfootball understands

"2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Some former NFL players do a good job on TV, but the danger with having them as analysts is that they're too close to other players and will be biased as a result. That is why it seemed like everyone went out of their way to defend Alex Smith in the wake of the Patrick Mahomes selection. The argument is that the Chiefs are so close that they need only a couple more pieces to win the Super Bowl. That's true, but one of the needed pieces happens to be a quarterback. Smith has proven that he's incapable of winning more than one playoff game per run because of his limitations, and Andy Reid finally recognized that."

He's 100% right.

Merc News blasted the Chiefs draft... and poured honey on the 9ers New Front office for fleecing the Bears.

ESPN Polling ( as of now) has 70% of fans giving the Chiefs either a  "C" or "B" score.

Sports Illustrated gave the Chiefs Draft a B.

The Sporting News gave the Chiefs a C-

The central theory was that Mahomes cost the Chiefs 2 first round picks and the Chiefs had bigger needs going into this season.

I kinda like the Mahomes pick but I am not sure he will be worth 2 first rounders?  No idea.

I am really anxious to see how he looks in the preseason and if Reid tries to get rid of all those "back foot throws"?

w

Merc News blasted the Chiefs draft... and poured honey on the 9ers New Front office for fleecing the Bears.

ESPN Polling ( as of now) has 70% of fans giving the Chiefs either a "C" or "B" score.

Their central theory was that Mahomes cost the Chiefs 2 first round picks and the Chiefs had bigger needs going into this season.

I kinda like the Mahomes pick but I am not sure he will be worth 2 first rounders? No idea.

I am really anxious to see how he looks in the preseason and if Reid tries to get rid of all those "back foot throws"?

w

I went into the offseason thinking we need to target a qb. I thought Watson should be the target. Then a funny thing happened. The more I watched and read, the more convinced I became that Watson was fools gold and the real gem in this class was mahomes.

Fools Gold won a National Championship....and carried that team on his back most of the season.

I hope all you guys are right about Mahomes......The more I watch the tape on him the more I see receivers fighting for 50:50 balls....

That said, Elway had plenty of the same issues when in college.

w

Fools Gold won a National Championship....and carried that team on his back most of the season.

I hope all you guys are right about Mahomes......The more I watch the tape on him the more I see receivers fighting for 50:50 balls....

w

Danny W won a title in Florida and so did Tim Tebow. McElroy won in Bama and is now a studio analyst.

Way too much stock is placed on winning in college. I'm not drafting a college football team, so why do I care?

Since you mentioned Elway, I don't think he ever played in a Bowl Game. I look at the film to see how a player projects as an NFL player and being a winner is far down the list. Aaron Rodgers couldn't beat an avg TT squad in his final bowl game.

The issue with Deshaun Watson is he projected too much like Alex Smith for my liking. Why go through all that effort to make a change at QB to do more of the same, when QB limitation was an issue?

Watson can't read the whole field like Smith, Smiths durability concerns, Smiths below average arm and his penchant to take off for no reason. Why would they part with 2 firsts for more of that?

Hell Tom Brady couldn't win the starting job at Michigan.

w

Dorsey said that they had Mahomes graded well above any of the other QBs. That's enough for me.

Hey, guess what the last QB that KC drafted in the first round did:

Won a National Championship.

w

Meh. We'll see on Watson. I think he needs more work than mahomes and will ultimately be much more limited as a qb. I think his ceiling is Alex Smith. That said he does know how to win. But he will be limited. Maybe he gets lucky and fell in The right situation like Russell wilson, but that guy is limited too.

The national championship winning qb is very rarely the best NFL prospect. Hell, most of them never even got a sniff. Cam Newton probably the obvious exception. Maybe raper, i mean Winston. Here are all your winners going back to 2000.

Watson

Cardale Jones

JT Barrett

Winston

AJ McCarran

Cam Newton

Greg McElroy

Tim Tebow

Matt Flynn

Chris Leak

Vince Young

Matt Leinart

Matt Mauck/Leinart

Craig Krenzel

Ken Dorsey

Josh Heupel

And people love to bitch about Cam Newton

Yep. One thing I like about mahomes over Watson is he scrambles not to gain yards but stays behind the line with his eyes downfield ala rapistberger. And then either makes a crazy play nobody else can make or a boneheaded throw. IF Andy can teach him to know when to throw the ball away he will have something. Give maclin or hill time to get open on the scramble drill and he will wreck defenses.

It was a high price, but pundits are almost always wrong about these players and how they will perform.

What's the difference between the doom-and-gloom assessments of the pundits (who at least have probability heavily on their side) and the butterflies-and-rainbows-and-unicorns assessments of the Chiefs' fans whose sole basis for being happy right now rests on the fact that the Chiefs merely traded up to take a quarterback?

Do you realize that most of the exuberance and optimism about the quarterback position would exist to an almost identical measure whether the Chiefs had drafted Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, Webb, Beathard, or Dobbs? In fact most Chiefs fans don't really have a basis for being happy other than that they equate the high cost of drafting their quarterback with the likelihood that Smith won't be quarterbacking in one or two years. In fact, if the Chiefs had managed to get Mahomes for a third-round pick, they probably wouldn't be as happy because the draft pedigree of the quarterback wouldn't make almost certain their eventual elevation to starting quarterback.

The happiness is about what won't be the case in the near future, not about what's actually coming.

Dak Prescott had more yards and TD's than Alex Smith, Smith will be replaced this year.

Prescott is going to slump this year, and if the Cowboys don't make the post-season with the NFC's weakest division-winning record, they won't make the playoffs at all. Of all the things I might say about 2017, put me down for that prediction: That team lost much of the support that allowed Prescott to do what Prescott did.

Do you realize that most of the exuberance and optimism about the quarterback position would exist to an almost identical measure whether the Chiefs had drafted Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, Webb, Beathard, or Dobbs?

You couldn't be anymore wrong.  Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

The attitude would be more sour if they moved two 1's and a 3 for a younger Alex (Watson) or they decided to take a limp approach to it with a Kizer, Beathard or Dobbs.  You are so unbelievably wrong that it's hilarious.

I don't understand the contention that since Mahomes isn't ready to start, he's not worth investing in.  Favre wasn't ready to start his initial year or so.  Even Elway didn't light it up his first year.  Reid and Dorsey think Mahomes will be a starter in two (maybe one) year and took the risk to nab him.  I'm not one of the Alex haters.  He's helped turn this team from a consistent loser into one of the winningest regular season teams in the last four years.  But two years from now, he won't be the starter and the Chiefs have two choices.  Take another backup or develop a QBOTF.  Mahomes has the best raw skills of this year's class.  He may very well fail, but it won't be because he isn't ready to start this year.  Smith will win more games than anyone else the Chiefs could come up with THIS YEAR.  Now the Chiefs have a chance to win more games after Smith is gone.  Pretty simple.

There's a huge gap between 'catching up to NFL speeds' and 'having the skills and intangibles to compete in the NFL'. There's a difference between looking like an NFL player on an NFL field trying to make NFL throws but looking a tick slow, and looking like a collegiate athlete on an NFL field hopelessly outclassed by the opposing team. John Elway was deemed NFL ready. Brett Favre, as I recall, was a second-round selection taken at a time when a dysfunctional Falcons franchise was wavering over their previous selection of Chris Miller 13th-overall in the 1987 draft, but the Falcons had their first winning season and first post-season win with Miller that season. There's plenty of good stuff to read about how Brett Favre came to be a Packer instead.

The point is that the Chiefs have just set a new high-water mark for when a not-ready-to-play-in-the-NFL quarterback should be taken.

A good OL and RB takes a lot of pressure off a QB, Dak will succeed because he has both.

Actually, if you were watching free agency, Dak has lost much of what made his offensive line great. With less of a line, Elliot won't look so good. With a less effective Elliot, more will fall on Prescott than he will be ready to carry.

Archived