• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the difference between the doom-and-gloom assessments of the pundits (who at least have probability heavily on their side) and the butterflies-and-rainbows-and-unicorns assessments of the Chiefs' fans whose sole basis for being happy right now rests on the fact that the Chiefs merely traded up to take a quarterback?

Do you realize that most of the exuberance and optimism about the quarterback position would exist to an almost identical measure whether the Chiefs had drafted Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson, Kizer, Webb, Beathard, or Dobbs? In fact most Chiefs fans don't really have a basis for being happy other than that they equate the high cost of drafting their quarterback with the likelihood that Smith won't be quarterbacking in one or two years. In fact, if the Chiefs had managed to get Mahomes for a third-round pick, they probably wouldn't be as happy because the draft pedigree of the quarterback wouldn't make almost certain their eventual elevation to starting quarterback.

The happiness is about what won't be the case in the near future, not about what's actually coming.

I don't know. Chiefs fans were dysfunctional Ng for a first round QB. It's the smart thing to do even though I was wanting more immediate help. If we hadn't of done it, we would likely be looking to trade for someone's backup next year or extending Smith. Both of which would turn fans off and likely not result in a Super Bowl.

It's unlikely that Mahomes will be elite, but they are taking that shot. I like it. And the fans seemed pretty aligned on Mahomes. I don't think Webb or Dobbs would have had the same reaction and optimism.

Agree DH....

Time will tell if it was worth 2 first rounders.....I am really glad you guys are so confident now in Dorsey and Reid too.

That's the one thing that makes me feel better, I trust Dorsey's judgement.

w

How about we just let it play out and see who turns out to be right. ;)

That's what this thread is for. A reminder in perpetuity. It's apparent which users have taken which sides, and to what degree of cocksureness they expressed their opinions.

hrmmm 65 % of a god awfull number of passes..  velocity in the 60 mph range, I.e true cannon.. Can throw 50 60 yds in the air off his back foot.. Some of this stuff will clean up quite a bit..

Quite easily.. I dont think he's that much of a project, just needs to season a bit.. I really think you have a guy.. who can scramble, and then trhow the ball 75 80 yds down hill, to hill  ;)

The running back.. the comparisom to tyreek aint right .. this guys a 4.5 4.6 kinda guy, who just wont go down, and refuses to fumble. who can catch a pass.. more like Emitt Smith than anything else.

The freak, cuz everybody who plays on our dline is a freak of nature, can go learn handfighting from tamba, and take his rightfull place with the other freaks of nature on the dline..

Fools Gold won a National Championship....and carried that team on his back most of the season.

I hope all you guys are right about Mahomes......The more I watch the tape on him the more I see receivers fighting for 50:50 balls....

That said, Elway had plenty of the same issues when in college.

w

Mehhh....how many quarterbacks of the national college champion have gone on to be great in the NFL? Even Todd Blackledge was a QB on a national championship team. I think that played heavily into why the Chiefs picked him over say Moreno. Winning a national championship is nice....but its just one game vs an entire body of work. Few people had to carry the load as much as Mahomes did. Even more so than Watson who had a top 10 stud wide receiver just get drafted by the Chargers. Mahomes didn't have that. Clemson had a pretty solid defense. Texas Tech gave up 43.5 points per game. No comparison.

Mehhh....how many quarterbacks of the national college champion have gone on to be great in the NFL? Even Todd Blackledge was a QB on a national championship team. I think that played heavily into why the Chiefs picked him over say Moreno. Winning a national championship is nice....but its just one game vs an entire body of work. Few people had to carry the load as much as Mahomes did. Even more so than Watson who had a top 10 stud wide receiver just get drafted by the Chargers. Mahomes didn't have that. Clemson had a pretty solid defense. Texas Tech gave up 43.5 points per game. No comparison.

your right the Ntl Championship did help Blackledge's cause but they got to the game n the back of their RB Curt Warner.TB made one great throw and barely beat Herschel Walker's Bulldogs..but I remember Moreno's big Negative  in the Chief's eyes was that he showed up  to an interview late & in flip flops and a Hawaiian type shirt..that wasn't going to fly with  Mr Hunt/Jack Steadman and Jim Schaaf & newly acquired  HC John Mackovic..Marv Levy woulda took him no doubt in my mind.

Mackovic was a real stick in the mud..probably the only NFL HC to have an open revolt by the players and be fired after a playoff season

at least thats how I remember it

Ok, I'm just going to make a comment on the logic.  We gave up 2 first rounders for Mahommes?  How?  We gave up one first rounder next year, and used our first round pick this year on him.  We did not LOSE 2 first round picks to get this guy, we lost one.  This argument might be the dumbest thread ever.  Right now, NOBODY knows how Mahommes is going to be.  Until there is some tangible evidence, i will sit back and watch to see how he performs.  None of you know even a 10th of what the people that do this for a living do about football or scouting players(except formmerdb maybe).  Enjoy the ride guys and let's see how it all plays out!

Ok, I'm just going to make a comment on the logic.  We gave up 2 first rounders for Mahommes?  How?  We gave up one first rounder next year, and used our first round pick this year on him.  We did not LOSE 2 first round picks to get this guy, we lost one.  This argument might be the dumbest thread ever.  Right now, NOBODY knows how Mahommes is going to be.  Until there is some tangible evidence, i will sit back and watch to see how he performs.  None of you know even a 10th of what the people that do this for a living do about football or scouting players(except formmerdb maybe).  Enjoy the ride guys and let's see how it all plays out!

It's all semantics.  Mahomes cost two firsts and a third.  If they had not traded, whoever they took at #27 would have cost one first.  The most accurate way to describe it is that Mahomes cost an extra first and a third but if he becomes a starter in the future, no one will remember who the Chiefs missed out on in 2018.  My feeling is that the Chiefs will win enough this season to not be in position to get a high pick next year.  The only way to draft a QB was to trade up a lot or to hope to get lucky on a second tier prospect.  I wanted a stud ILB and an edge rusher, but like you pointed out, more knowledgeable football professionals say it differently and we have to trust Dorsey until he's proven wrong.

Used one 1st rounder to pick him, and gave another one to Buffalo.  That adds up to 2 first round picks plus the third.

Agreed, but we didn't give up 2 first round picks to get him.  We were going to draft SOMEONE with that first round pick.  Plus, if we have a playoff season again, it could be 27th or worse, so almost like a second anyway.  With that being said, if we have a crappy season, and end up drafting top 10, then I'll be disappointed.

It's all semantics.  Mahomes cost two firsts and a third.  If they had not traded, whoever they took at #27 would have cost one first.  The most accurate way to describe it is that Mahomes cost an extra first and a third but if he becomes a starter in the future, no one will remember who the Chiefs missed out on in 2018.  My feeling is that the Chiefs will win enough this season to not be in position to get a high pick next year.  The only way to draft a QB was to trade up a lot or to hope to get lucky on a second tier prospect.  I wanted a stud ILB and an edge rusher, but like you pointed out, more knowledgeable football professionals say it differently and we have to trust Dorsey until he's proven wrong.

Exactly!  

Talk Radio is crushing the Chiefs for their Trade and Pick.

2 1's and a 3 is a lot for a guy to be "groomed"

one can only be "crushed" by an opinion is one cares who is giving the opinion.. I'm figuring no one here cares

How many talk radio guys have their jobs on the line if they're wrong.  How many GMs have their jobs on the line?  'Nuff said.

No question Dorsey owns this and my greatest feeling of confidence is that Dorsey made the call.  He is the one guy in KC that seems to get it right time after time.  Mahomes is far from a sure thing, but he is coming to exactly the right place at the right time.  I hope he is a superstar!

As many have tried to say, KC is very close right now because of the moves that Dorsey has made over the years.

It wasn't too long ago that KC gave up 2 Second round picks for a QB and folks were calling Dorsey a jackass.....

Seems now everyone can get behind Dorsey's "genius"....

w

Damned if you do and again if you don't.

They will sit there and shit on teams that start a rookie and they struggle and shit on them for taking a QB that should sit on the bench.  Sports talk radio is the most worthless aspect of sports.

Damned if you do and again if you don't.

They will sit there and shit on teams that start a rookie and they struggle and shit on them for taking a QB that should sit on the bench.  Sports talk radio is the most worthless aspect of sports.

i agree totally....the one guy was Vinnie Cerratto, former GM of the Skins...how'd that work out for ya?

Talking Heads are never wrong...

one can only be "crushed" by an opinion is one cares who is giving the opinion.. I'm figuring no one here cares

The ones who don't care wanted to see the Chiefs draft their own quarterback more than they wanted to see the Chiefs continue winning.

There's a segment of Chiefs fans that swallowed Terez Paylor's incessant propaganda about the last time the Chiefs picked a first-round quarterback. Stuck inside their own perspective, they don't realize how ridiculous the Chiefs were to sign away the next two years of opportunity to draft high end talent for the sake of a quarterback that probably won't be able to lead an NFL team until his rookie contract is up for extension.

If you wanted to see the Chiefs go for a Super Bowl this year, the selection of Mahomes would be disappointing. There is no way around that.

It's all semantics.

It's not "semantics" at all. How much did the Chiefs just spend on Mahomes in draft capital?

Going by Draftek's modified version of the classic Jimmy Johnson Draft Pick Value Chart, the Chiefs had 1298.6 points to spend in 2017, counting the points for the compensatory picks, and subtracting the points from the forfeited sixth-round pick.

If the Chiefs finish this year in the same position they finished last year, they would have 1194 points to spend in 2018.

What did the trade cost the Chiefs?

1298.60 (2017) + 1194.00 (2018) = 2492.60

- 1496.00 (Mahomes)

= 996.60 remaining

You can slice and dice the English on this until your heart's content, but the math says the Chiefs just spent over 60% of their draft capital for this year and next year on a quarterback that probably won't be fit to see the field in either season.

I'm OK with taking a long-term view on this. Dorsey may have in fact been a genius if he's ahead of a wave of hyperinflation in the cost of drafting a quarterback. However, if Mahomes busts, this was a heavy price to pay just to have a quarterback the Chiefs drafted. History says this was a completely unsound move. The future is what will validate or indict Hunt, Dorsey, and Reid.

I'm OK with taking a long-term view on this. Dorsey may have in fact been a genius if he's ahead of a wave of hyperinflation in the cost of drafting a quarterback. However, if Mahomes busts, this was a heavy price to pay just to have a quarterback the Chiefs drafted. History says this was a completely unsound move. The future is what will validate or indict Hunt, Dorsey, and Reid.

[Captain Obvious]

I get it: You don't like my opinion, nor do you like that I couched it within the context of an acknowledgment that I'm not privy to all of the information Hunt, Dorsey, and Reid have.

Here's my question: What if my pessimism ends up being validated?

Archived