Has a SB winning QB ever been traded after that season?  This might be the first.  If Smith's heroics was the reason for the win, it would be hard to let him go, but Mahomes cost the Chiefs a lot and they can't sit him for two full seasons IMHO.

in 2000  Dilfer was not re-signed by the Ravens, becoming the first starting quarterback to be released after a Super Bowl win.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah as really think the kid will sit a year unless Alex gets hurt. But Alex Smith will be elsewhere in 2018. Mark my words!

Smith will be 34. If Mahomes is a bust by next year Smith asks for an extension, if not he asks for a trade/release so that he'll get his final paycheck in 34 as a starter rather than risking it until he's 35.

The logical move is obviously Smith leaving KC but too early to predict just yet.

Smith will be 34. If Mahomes is a bust by next year Smith asks for an extension, if not he asks for a trade/release so that he'll get his final paycheck in 34 as a starter rather than risking it until he's 35.

The logical move is obviously Smith leaving KC but too early to predict just yet.

The logical move is to go with whichever QB gives you the best chance to win.  Right now that's Smith, and I don't know if that will change next year.

Of course you need a plan, and replacing a playoff-winning quarterback with a quarterback capable of winning playoff games is desirable. It's the cost of acquiring a quarterback deemed not close to ready to start in the NFL that disturbs the pundits, and should disturb anyone on the Anyone-But-Smith Train. The responses here make it evident where everyone boarded.

As for the RB selection, it wasn't the position of need that ILB, G, and OLB were.

Several obvious disagreements with all of this. First of which is the reality that the better your QB is, the less succeptable to injuries and other talent deficiencies. We've got a solid QB right now who's capable of winning in January against elite teams only if everything else is above average or better. That's the reality of a solid but not elite QB. Mahomes arm talent is clearly superior. His upside is clearly superior and thus the real potential exists to get to the postseason with him and be able to overcome more adversity

Aside from that the realtity of the CBA is that teams have a HUGE advantage if they can get good QB play from a first contract guy. So we have definite potential to upgrade talent st QB AND get benefit of millions saved vs CAP so that we can keep or even add talent that would otherwise be too expensive. See J Maclin.

Plus we get the final benefit of Alex has a career year of getting a draft pick back as well. This isn't hard to understand and any pundit that lauds the bottom feeder Browns over a team that actually wins with the consistency we do, simply doesn't get it.

Lastly Andy Reid offenses revolve around a dynamic explosive and versatile RB that we haven't had here since Jamaals injury. 45 yards rushing in the playoffs should have crystallized this for anyone that doubted the gigantic need. And what a great pick we got to finally fill that void. When all is said and done this will be the draft class in my opinion that puts us over the top and on top of the football world.

Several obvious disagreements with all of this. First of which is the reality that the better your QB is, the less succeptable to injuries and other talent deficiencies. We've got a solid QB right now who's capable of winning in January against elite teams only if everything else is above average or better. That's the reality of a solid but not elite QB. Mahomes arm talent is clearly superior. His upside is clearly superior and thus the real potential exists to get to the postseason with him and be able to overcome more adversity

Aside from that the realtity of the CBA is that teams have a HUGE advantage if they can get good QB play from a first contract guy. So we have definite potential to upgrade talent st QB AND get benefit of millions saved vs CAP so that we can keep or even add talent that would otherwise be too expensive. See J Maclin.

Plus we get the final benefit of Alex has a career year of getting a draft pick back as well. This isn't hard to understand and any pundit that lauds the bottom feeder Browns over a team that actually wins with the consistency we do, simply doesn't get it.

Lastly Andy Reid offenses revolve around a dynamic explosive and versatile RB that we haven't had here since Jamaals injury. 45 yards rushing in the playoffs should have crystallized this for anyone that doubted the gigantic need. And what a great pick we got to finally fill that void. When all is said and done this will be the draft class in my opinion that puts us over the top and on top of the football world.

This is a page from most our books.

Well said.

How in the hell is a QB capable of being a bust before playing a regular season snap?

All that I've said in one single post. Well done.

Getting beat out in training camp by late round camp fodder pick would be starters.

This is true. Coaches see these guys every day and for the most part have a really good idea of what they have. Paxton Lynch for example is getting roasted for not grasping playbook or progressing technically. If you listen between the lines they are questioning his effort. That will get you shipped out minus real opportunity. On the other hand the opposite perspective is the reality some guys are simply better on game day. No way Vermiel knew he had a future HOFer in Kurt Warner. Same for Brady.

On the other hand the opposite perspective is the reality some guys are simply better on game day.

That's what people said about Kaepernick, who decisively lost in both pre-season competitions with Smith back in San Francisco. In retrospect, any one who studies quarterbacks will tell you that Kaepernick was never a good quarterback, only a great athlete who depended on scheming and supporting cast for his earliest successes.

A quarterback is a bust when they fail to justify their draft pedigree. For the price paid, Mahomes should have been a first-year starter, but this situation was exceptional because Smith was hardly a player on his way out.

If Smith has the biggest success of his career this year and Mahomes doesn't have an excellent training camp in 2018, the murmurs of "reach" will become louder, and not long after that comes the "bust" talk. But realistically, Mahomes hasn't had enough time in the league to know one way or another whether his selection will be justifiable.

in 2000  Dilfer was not re-signed by the Ravens, becoming the first starting quarterback to be released after a Super Bowl win.

And that was a mistake. Over a decade passed before the Ravens won another Super Bowl, and they won it playing against the team that benched Smith for a guy out of the NFL after only six season.

I guess?

Fans say shit in snap reactions all the time. There are only a few times where I was sure a QB was a bust early on. Christian Hackenburg being the latest. I can't believe a team was stupid enough to draft him period.

That's how I felt about that Barkley kid.

That's how I felt about that Barkley kid.

Barkley just suffered from noodle arm.

Hack had some of the shittiest tape I've ever seen from a draftable talent. His highlight reel consisted of throwing wounded ducks to A Rob for a short time and taking hilarious sacks.

I learned my lesson with Jimmy Clausen. Sometimes you just have to call a turd a turd. The draft analysis for Hack when the Jets picked him was a long list of excuses.

Now the Jets are too embarrassed to play him and they're forcibly tanking the year.

Barkley just suffered from noodle arm.

Hack had some of the shittiest tape I've ever seen from a draftable talent. His highlight reel consisted of throwing wounded ducks to A Rob for a short time and taking hilarious sacks.

I learned my lesson with Jimmy Clausen. Sometimes you just have to call a turd a turd. The draft analysis for Hack when the Jets picked him was a long list of excuses.

Now the Jets are too embarrassed to play him and they're forcibly tanking the year.

We should re name noodle arm, Tyler Palko arm. Worst arm I have ever seen. Ever.

Archived