My quick thoughts on the draft...if you care

I'm not gonna dissect every pick, but make a general observation. Dorsey and Reid are here to stay. This draft was not intended to make us better this year. We drafted our QBOTF and the pieces at RB and WR that Dorsey/Reid think will best compliment Mahomes when he takes over. They drafted pretty much all high ceiling project guys that will get time to learn and develop as they were not critical for our team to be successful right now. Outside Hunt, I don't see any real contributors to the team THIS YEAR. I hope our fans understand this, especially with how much the 2016 class contributed. We really didn't need upgrades this year...as injuries to the defenive front seven kept us from seeing what we really have there. But just think...our defense won't have to be all-world when Mahomes is slinging the ball for us. The balance might just be right...

There’s a lot to disagree with here.

They absolutely needed upgrades this year, unless you’re fine with one-and-done.

Mahomes has done ZERO in the NFL, so how exactly will he take the pressure off the defense.  Slinging the ball all over the place could just as easily put more pressure on them by making them defend the short field all the time. 

Mahomes has all the physical tools, but he still has to learn how to play in the NFL, which is the much harder part of the job.

They absolutely needed upgrades this year, unless you’re fine with one-and-done.

Mahomes has done ZERO in the NFL, so how exactly will he take the pressure off the defense. Slinging the ball all over the place could just as easily put more pressure on them by making them defend the short field all the time.

Mahomes has all the physical tools, but he still has to learn how to play in the NFL, which is the much harder part of the job.

I am not an advocate for Mahomes starting this year.

But it's not like Alex doesn't put his defense on the field all the time...

It didn't matter what position of "need" we filled, we aren't going deep with Alex.

Mahomes has done ZERO in the NFL, so how exactly will he take the pressure off the defense. Slinging the ball all over the place could just as easily put more pressure on them by making them defend the short field all the time.

We're one and done no matter what with Alex running the show. Our ceiling is the afc runner up IF we get some lucky draws in the playoffs.

We needed to nut up and find a different path. Hopefully we did that thursday night.

We're one and done no matter what with Alex running the show. Our ceiling is the afc runner up IF we get some lucky draws in the playoffs.

We needed to nut up and find a different path. Hopefully we did that thursday night.

Yep

Not necessarily.  If the Chiefs had a run defense this January, they would have been in the AFC championship game at the least.  That aspect didn't get fixed in this draft unless we assume that getting everyone healthy will improve it enough.  DJ is a year older and a knee unhealthier.  Hali is well past prime.  Ford is inconsistent.  Ramik and March haven't lit it up yet.  Is Mitchell the real answer opposite Peters?  I like the gamble on Mahomes and getting a second option at RB, but think there was value at run defense positions that were passed up.  My consolation is that Dorsey has been right more often than not and we have to believe he has a plan, both short and long term.

I think people are discounting that the Steelers Offense is going to rack up yards and points and there isn't anything you can do about that.

The Defense held them to under 20 points and the fact they couldn't win that game is why you saw them spend a 1+3 to take a QB.

But but but but but

I think people are discounting that the Steelers Offense is going to rack up yards and points and there isn't anything you can do about that.

The Defense held them to under 20 points and the fact they couldn't win that game is why you saw them spend a 1+3 to take a QB.

Yep. We held them to only fields goals. And lost against a mediocre defense.

Not necessarily. If the Chiefs had a run defense this January, they would have been in the AFC championship game at the least. That aspect didn't get fixed in this draft unless we assume that getting everyone healthy will improve it enough. DJ is a year older and a knee unhealthier. Hali is well past prime. Ford is inconsistent. Ramik and March haven't lit it up yet. Is Mitchell the real answer opposite Peters? I like the gamble on Mahomes and getting a second option at RB, but think there was value at run defense positions that were passed up. My consolation is that Dorsey has been right more often than not and we have to believe he has a plan, both short and long term.

Rightfully so, Dorsey places a lesser value on run defense. The modern defense is about stopping the pass. Our run defense didn't lose the stiller game, our inability to finish drives did.

Rightfully so, Dorsey places a lesser value on run defense. The modern defense is about stopping the pass. Our run defense didn't lose the stiller game, our inability to finish drives did.

Yeah, but that wasn't Alex's fault. ;-)

Archived