Was Mahomes worth trading up for?

Interesting post on ESPN today about the last 10 drafts and teams trading up to get their QBOTF.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/237503/ravens-jumping-up-to-get-joe-flacco-is-best-trade-up-for-qb-in-last-decade

Granted, out of the 15 times in last 10 drafts that teams traded up, 2 times it was the Browns.....

I do not have an opinion on Mahomes at all- never saw him play in college.

I am guess that most in here are okay with the trade up and pick?

I'm fine with both. With Alex we will be good enough to only make the playoffs.

Mahomes might stink it up and never even make the playoffs or he might take us to a Superbowl. Who knows?

I'm tired of playing it safe. Glad they finally rolled the dice. Hope they keep doing it.

It's a meaningless fact for the most part.

The Texans/Chiefs differ from the others for a good reason.

How so?

Texans have zero luck with a QB except a few years with Kubiak/Schaub....and that was a trade.

Vikings, Broncos and Eagles have had recent success- just not with a QB draft.

Something had to change..glad they made the effort. If this was Marty trading up  I'd probably be a bit hesitant but I think Andy can  bring out the best in this kid.. his best is has yet to be seen and it might not be very good but  Who Dares Wins

I am guess that most in here are okay with the trade up and pick?

I am not, with a caveat that I'm still researching. The Chiefs spent an enormous amount of draft capital and punted the most precious selection of the 2018 NFL Draft to draft a guy they really like.

Sometimes front offices and coaches beat the odds. Most often, they merely manage to make the same mistake already made before, albeit with a new twist or wrinkle.

I am not, with a caveat that I'm still researching. The Chiefs spent an enormous amount of draft capital and punted the most precious selection of the 2018 NFL Draft to draft a guy they really like.

Sometimes front offices and coaches beat the odds. Most often, they merely manage to make the same mistake already made before, albeit with a new twist or wrinkle.

No one knows the value of next year's draft pick would be.  Just like Mahomes could be a bust, so could the pick next season.   They could get another Ford or even worse, Ryan Sims.  At the same time, they could miss out on another DT.  I trust the staff to make the decision based on the odds of Mahomes being a long term starter compared to getting a starting LB.  Dorsey is a futures kind of guy while still winning with the present team.  Wasn't my first choice, but I'm okay with it.

No one knows the value of next year's draft pick would be.  Just like Mahomes could be a bust, so could the pick next season.   They could get another Ford or even worse, Ryan Sims.  At the same time, they could miss out on another DT.  I trust the staff to make the decision based on the odds of Mahomes being a long term starter compared to getting a starting LB.  Dorsey is a futures kind of guy while still winning with the present team.  Wasn't my first choice, but I'm okay with it.

My issue with this isn't really covered by the scenario you line up: You present this as a 'Mahomes or ________' situation, whereas I consider this a 'Mahomes instead of ________, ________, ________'. situation. There were good players on the board at the Chiefs' natural pick, and we have no idea what will be available next year, but at least the Chiefs could have taken a player that could have contributed in future years and this year as well.

But you're right: Dorsey thinks with a view to the future, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the possibility that Dorsey doesn't think a prospect like Mahomes will be available at 10th-overall for years to come.

Mahomes will be the most famous, most revered, most productive player in franchise history. His popularity will eclipse Montana,DT, even Lenny Dawson. He will break every passing record, and lead us to the Promised Land multiple times. Uh, I have high expectations for him...

isnt that what the Chiefs have been trying to do for a long time? tradeing to get someone else'a qb and it not working?"  They did that over and over and over and over and over again.  They are trying something different now.  Time will tell, but even if  it doesnt work out, they at least tried and you try again.  Obviously the way the Organization has been trying for so long has not been working, time to try another way.

My issue with this isn't really covered by the scenario you line up: You present this as a 'Mahomes or ________' situation, whereas I consider this a 'Mahomes instead of ________, ________, ________'. situation. There were good players on the board at the Chiefs' natural pick, and we have no idea what will be available next year, but at least the Chiefs could have taken a player that could have contributed in future years and this year as well.

But you're right: Dorsey thinks with a view to the future, and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the possibility that Dorsey doesn't think a prospect like Mahomes will be available at 10th-overall for years to come.

Don't wrap your head too much or you'll get a headache. It's not really hard to figure out.

How so?

Texans have zero luck with a QB except a few years with Kubiak/Schaub....and that was a trade.

Vikings, Broncos and Eagles have had recent success- just not with a QB draft.

Not all trade ups are alike, nor are team situations when the trade up is made.

My son and I had a bet. He bet me the Chiefs would take a QB in the 1st or 2nd round. I gladly owe him. It was the first time in about 15 years we didn't watch the draft together. I was on vacation in GA/SC and he texted that not only did the Chiefs draft Mahommes in the first but they moved all the way up to 10. Knowing the kidder he is, I triple sourced it to verify it. As a long time Chief fan I never expected my Chiefs to draft a QB in Round 1 and especially never move up in round 1. I expected them to run AA out there another year and then pick up another retread. I'm thrilled that they got him, was really the only QB I wanted in the first. Many say let him sit behind Smith and learn for a year. Naw, he already knows how to throw WR screens and 5 yard slants. In fact, he could teach Alex how to avoid pressure in the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield then throwing an 65 yarder to Thrill Hill. Run him out there game 1. He's got the smarts and heart to do some amazing things with all the tools around him. He's not playing on a 3-13, 2-14 team. He'll be fine. Trade AA now while we may get something for him. 

Yes.. I am okay with the Mahomes move. It seems logical to me that the Chiefs did it. They are coming off a 12-4 season. There are no glaring holes on this team. Some questions to be sure. Can DJ bounce back again? Is Mitchell able to lock down the other corner spot after a promising fill in role last year?

A lot of bad teams draft a QB and throw him in the fire. And likely failure. Mahomes is being groomed to be the future. A huge difference from where I sit.

Not all trade ups are alike, nor are team situations when the trade up is made.

Very true...taking all the different factors into consideration, do you believe the Chiefs to be a Qb away from continued success and the playoffs

Yes.. I am okay with the Mahomes move. It seems logical to me that the Chiefs did it. They are coming off a 12-4 season. There are no glaring holes on this team. Some questions to be sure. Can DJ bounce back again? Is Mitchell able to lock down the other corner spot after a promising fill in role last year?

A lot of bad teams draft a QB and throw him in the fire. And likely failure. Mahomes is being groomed to be the future. A huge difference from where I sit.

Pretty much my take on the situation. You know you need a QB, you see one you like, you go get him.

Hopefully, it doesn't turn out to be a Tebow, Boller or Ponder situation.

Pretty much my take on the situation. You know you need a QB, you see one you like, you go get him.

Hopefully, it doesn't turn out to be a Tebow, Boller or Ponder situation.

Well Hands...that is the million dollar question. What will he turn out to be? If he is the next Aaron Rodgers then it looks brilliant. If he is the next Boller?...Moves like this define a legacy...for good or bad.

May 8th, 2017 at 7:03pm CST by Connor Byrne

As the Chiefs were preparing to trade up 17 spots in the first round of this year’s draft to select Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes 10th overall, they reached out to starting signal-caller Alex Smith to make sure he’d be OK with it, general manager John Dorsey told the NFL Network on Monday (via Conor Orr of NFL.com). “You know, Alex is the consummate professional,” said Dorsey. “He’s been through these types of situations before and we made sure we communicated with Alex leading up to the draft that we may make a move like this. And when we were on the clock and traded up with Buffalo, we made sure we again got in contact with Alex and he’s all on board with this.” Even after the addition of Mahomes, Smith knows the Chiefs are “his team,” per Dorsey, who praised the 33-year-old for owning “the fourth-winningest record” among QBs since his KC tenure began in 2013. The Chiefs have indeed posted an excellent regular-season mark (41-20) with Smith at the controls, but they’ve managed only one playoff win in three trips. Now, thanks in no small part to the Chiefs’ investment in Mahomes, Smith appears unlikely to last as their starter for much longer. The 12-year veteran’s contract will expire after the 2018 season

Well Hands...that is the million dollar question. What will he turn out to be? If he is the next Aaron Rodgers then it looks brilliant. If he is the next Boller?...Moves like this define a legacy...for good or bad.

Well, unlike Boller, who could throw a ball 60 yds from his knees, thru a goal post, Mahomes improved his completion percentage every year - 57, 64, 68...Td to Int rate was very good.

Hope he transitions well....KC is due....

Well, unlike Boller, who could throw a ball 60 yds from his knees, thru a goal post, Mahomes improved his completion percentage every year - 57, 64, 68...Td to Int rate was very good.

Hope he transitions well....KC is due....

Boller had a gun. I thought he would be a better pro coming out of college.

AFC Notes: Chiefs, Ravens, Fins, Titans

May 8th, 2017 at 7:03pm CST by Connor Byrne

As the Chiefs were preparing to trade up 17 spots in the first round of this year’s draft to select Texas Tech quarterback Patrick Mahomes 10th overall, they reached out to starting signal-caller Alex Smith to make sure he’d be OK with it, general manager John Dorsey told the NFL Network on Monday (via Conor Orr of NFL.com). “You know, Alex is the consummate professional,” said Dorsey. “He’s been through these types of situations before and we made sure we communicated with Alex leading up to the draft that we may make a move like this. And when we were on the clock and traded up with Buffalo, we made sure we again got in contact with Alex and he’s all on board with this.” Even after the addition of Mahomes, Smith knows the Chiefs are “his team,” per Dorsey, who praised the 33-year-old for owning “the fourth-winningest record” among QBs since his KC tenure began in 2013. The Chiefs have indeed posted an excellent regular-season mark (41-20) with Smith at the controls, but they’ve managed only one playoff win in three trips. Now, thanks in no small part to the Chiefs’ investment in Mahomes, Smith appears unlikely to last as their starter for much longer. The 12-year veteran’s contract will expire after the 2018 season

Normally, I would call bull shit, what else are they going to say, but I believe this one. Now, do I think the Chiefs would have avoided Mahomes if Smith wasn't on board? Nah, but I do think Smith is confident, professional, and can help us.

Very true...taking all the different factors into consideration, do you believe the Chiefs to be a Qb away from continued success and the playoffs

They were already there with a below average QB, but they have to change the identity of the team to maintain that high level.

The world class D is dipping a little bit and Even Steven Smith is never going to advance to make the team more balanced.

The way this team ran feom 2013 to now isn't what Dorsey and Reid are used to. They both were in programs that had wide open big play potential Offenses with a Defense that could play with a sizable lead and just pin their ears back and rush the passer, with little regard to run stuffing.

The Mahomes move is a signal of them wanting to steer back to that, IMO. They want that natural identity back.

Archived