Playoff loss to Pittsburgh the reason Mahomes was drafted?

Was it the culmination of 4 years of getting a complete look at Alex Smith or simply the most recent disappointing playoff loss at home and the missed chances to put the game away by the offense that led the Chiefs to draft the Gunslinger?

Alex Smith is 1-3 as the Chiefs QB in the playoffs.

In terms of QB years he's not exactly ancient he's got 3 or 4 good years left but I'm convinced last years early exit was the nail in the coffin.

Was it the culmination of 4 years of getting a complete look at Alex Smith or simply the most recent disappointing playoff loss at home and the missed chances to put the game away by the offense that led the Chiefs to draft the Gunslinger?

In terms of QB years he's not exactly ancient he's got 3 or 4 good years left but I'm convinced last years early exit was the nail in the coffin.

Presumably, Mahomes is the reason Mahomes was drafted. Arguably, inflation in draft pick value at the quarterback position was the reason Mahomes was drafted at tenth-overall.

There is no coffin yet: Mahomes hasn't played an NFL snap.

You know what you have in Alex Smith at this point, especially in the playoffs. I'm convinced they made this drastic step because the offense sputtered so terribly in the Titans, Bucs and Pittsburgh playoff game with Smith at the helm.

I'd say it has a lot to do with it. You'd have to be brain dead to think we have not seen Alex's ceiling  and its not good enough. The Pittsburgh game was an offensive embarrassment. Some blame is to go to Andy for sure but he's not going anywhere and not making the same kind of $$ Alex is so its an easy call.

Phatal dont kid your self.. I laughed as I typed that..Mahomes is going to get his shot.. that coffin altho maybe not nailed shut is being built.

Alex Smith is getting old.  Pittsburgh or no Pittsburgh.

Mahomes better kick serious ass in 2-3 years because if he is merely average ( Like Alex Smith) he will be a total bust.

Who was the last QB to win a Playoff Game before Alex Smith?

The answer is really not very pretty.....

w

I think it has more to do with Mahomes being a guy they feel they can build around for the next decade. Factor in Smiths age and what he will make next season and that they can let the guy the sit for a year the time was just right.

I think they knew they wanted to do this before the playoffs it was the time in between the playoffs and draft that told them who.

Yep, the fact that Smith is cutable without incurring a huge dead money cap hit next year and the model laid out by teams who have won like Seattle did with Russel Wilson on his rookie contract, probably has a lot to do with the decision as well. If your QB is not taking up that huge amount of cap space then it seems that you can build a team with a real shot at winning it all in a small window. Once you have to pay what the market dictates for a franchise QB the ability to build a team that can compete is hampered by that cap space being eaten up by the QB. Unless you have Tom Brady, Big Ben or Aaron Rodgers. We all saw what happened to the Ravens once they had to pay Flacco that big money. Overpaying for a QB seems to diminish the talent base and depth that teams can use to build contenders. They are cap strapped.

Even if Smith were to lead us to the next 2 SB wins, we still needed to add his successor. We are in a good place and adding our QB won't be a question unless Mahomes falls flat on his face. It was a bold and much needed move to address the future of our next offensive leader.

Reid finally saw what Harbaugh saw in SF. Smith would rather not lose than try to win. I don't think a franchise goes from 27 to 10 to get a QB if they think they have a Super Bowl winning QB on the roster.

Agree, but also good long term management would dictate that the Chiefs start grooming the next QB even if Smith won more playoff games.  Mahomes is judged to have the talent but not the experience in a pro style offense to compete for a while.  Smith is too expensive to keep long.  Without grabbing Mahomes this year, the Chiefs might be in the same old position of getting some other team's backup next year or in 2019.

Edit:  Oops, Gil beat me to it.

Next Years College QB crop is supposed to be pretty good....time will tell.

w

This is said around this time, every year.

Sam Darnold looled pretty promising, but ue has a bit of an awkward release and betting on a RSSO to declare isn't a safe bet...especially a USC QB now they aren't in the toilet.

Rosen so far is vastly overrated and Josh Allen has a lot to show. Potential is there, but not what you'd like to see considering where he plays.

After the 07 draft people were ultra hyped for a guy named Brian Brohm.

I did not say it this time last year...

I had breakfast with Todd Husak, ex Stanford QB who kicked around the NFL for a few years with the Skins and other teams.

He is currently the radio broadcaster for Stanford besides being a commercial real estate broker.

He thought that next years crop would be "pretty good".

Take it for what its worth.

w

I did not say it this time last year...

I had breakfast with Todd Husak, ex Stanford QB who kicked around the NFL for a few years with the Skins and other teams.

He is currently the radio broadcaster for Stanford besides being a commercial real estate broker.

He thought that next years crop would be "pretty good".

Take it for what its worth.

w

I hear what you're saying but they really do say that every year. And about once every 10 to 15 years, they're right.

Actually, this time last year I do not recall much excitement.  In fact, pre-combine this  year there were legitimate questions if any of this years crop of QB's were worthy of going in the 1st round.  Of course, the marketing engine ( High powered Agents) got involved and walla.....Here comes John Elway, Dan Marino and 2-3 Tom Brady's.

Add to that desperate & disgruntled fans and here we are....

I put more stock in what ex-players think than what sports writers & reporters churn out.

w

Even if Smith were to lead us to the next 2 SB wins, we still needed to add his successor. We are in a good place and adding our QB won't be a question unless Mahomes falls flat on his face. It was a bold and much needed move to address the future of our next offensive leader.

I can't disagree with this statement. My only objection has continued to be 'price paid for talent acquired', with "talent" primarily a function of physical ability rather than demonstrated NFL-applicable skill.

Two picks at the end of the first is dirt cheap for a franchise QB. Especially when you consider it costs 100 million to sign one as a FA.

Now if Mahomes is a bust, you are right. If he is a hit, I would pay that in a heart beat.

If he is the next John Elway he would be worth any price....

Like all draft picks, we really will not know for some time unless he is Marcus Peters

w

It'll be exciting to see him in preseason. We'll see glimpses of greatness I'm sure..

Archived