Playoff loss to Pittsburgh the reason Mahomes was drafted?

Actually, this time last year I do not recall much excitement. In fact, pre-combine this year there were legitimate questions if any of this years crop of QB's were worthy of going in the 1st round. Of course, the marketing engine ( High powered Agents) got involved and walla.....Here comes John Elway, Dan Marino and 2-3 Tom Brady's.

Add to that desperate & disgruntled fans and here we are....

I put more stock in what ex-players think than what sports writers & reporters churn out.

w

meh. We'll see. Many of the draftniks and writers now are ex players and they're usually not as accurate as some of the journalists. Just because you've played doesn't make you a great NFL scout, although obviously there have been some players that turned into great scouts, ala john dorsey.

Some of the best draft writers have been journalists. A guy I like right now is bob mcginn who writes for the Milwaukee journal-sentinel. The most accurate draftnik used to be Rick Gosselin from dallas morning news.

I read and watch a lot of draft stuff. After every draft and before the games are played the next qb class is always overhyped. This year it's the UCLA QB with injury issues, a one year wonder USC qb who didn't even win the job outright last offseason, and the kid from Wyoming who threw 5 picks against a shitty Nebraska team.

Considering few will be coming out of non spread systems, there will be no more can't miss classes. They will all have multiple issues. Every once in a great while we'll see a top player come out of a pro system like Luck, but good luck being in position to draft him.

Reid finally saw what Harbaugh saw in SF. Smith would rather not lose than try to win. I don't think a franchise goes from 27 to 10 to get a QB if they think they have a Super Bowl winning QB on the roster.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1482872-jim-harbaughs-decision-to-bench-alex-smith-justified-again-by-colin-kaepernick

Wasn't it Montana? If hadn't got knocked out of that Buffalo game...

Implying that if Montana hadn't gotten knocked out we might have won? 

I question that premise. Montana was throwing bad in the frigid cold. He was 9 of 23 for 125 yards and a pick (QB rating of 39). And on top of that we couldn't run the ball. Thurman Thomas determined how that game went. I think that would have been true even if Montana finished the game.

I question that premise. Montana was throwing bad in the frigid cold. He was 9 of 23 for 125 yards and a pick (QB rating of 39). And on top of that we couldn't run the ball. Thurman Thomas determined how that game went. I think that would have been true even if Montana finished the game.

Wouldn't be surprised if Montana would have created a classic comeback. Ok, fine, classic comebacks are surprising still. Let's just say it didn't help.

Probably true, but I rather ride him. Wish Thomas would have had the fumble-ruski game against us that year.

Probably true, but I rather ride him. Wish Thomas would have had the fumble-ruski game against us that year.

Yep...but it's the Chiefs. We are destined to be disappointed at some point along the path to the SB. I'm hoping that changes with Reid but I ain't getting any younger :)

Really, against championship caliber competition, a great QB has to be able to carry his team on his shoulders.  Smith is an excellent QB, but he needs a well-oiled machine, all working together, to fulfill the team's promise.  Over and over, and not just in KC, we have seen similar teams with decent QB's lose to teams with a great QB.  That is why we moved up 10 spots.  It's really no more complicated than that.  We have been very lucky to have gotten Smith and have Andy develop him.  He is a championship caliber QB in his brain and in all other qualities.  He just can't thread a ball through a narrow crack at 60 mph to complete the impossible dream. It is purely physical. A guy who can throw like that doesn't need high round receivers who are magicians at getting open in order to complete a pass at a critical moment.  Receivers don't have to create as much separation with a guy who has an arm like Mahomes. We will see the difference in a couple of years.

Really, against championship caliber competition, a great QB has to be able to carry his team on his shoulders. Smith is an excellent QB, but he needs a well-oiled machine, all working together, to fulfill the team's promise. Over and over, and not just in KC, we have seen similar teams with decent QB's lose to teams with a great QB. That is why we moved up 10 spots. It's really no more complicated than that. We have been very lucky to have gotten Smith and have Andy develop him. He is a championship caliber QB in his brain and in all other qualities. He just can't thread a ball through a narrow crack at 60 mph to complete the impossible dream. It is purely physical. A guy who can throw like that doesn't need high round receivers who are magicians at getting open in order to complete a pass at a critical moment. Receivers don't have to create as much separation with a guy who has an arm like Mahomes. We will see the difference in a couple of years.

Bil, excellent?

Archived