Should KC Sign a Veteran QB to Back Up Alex Smith?

How many snaps does Tyler have in the regular season and the playoffs?

w

Exactly this. If we're making Bray the backup and Alex goes down for any extended length of time we might as well get mahomes some experience.

Chiefs have a real shot this year.  Team is not that far away and all it takes is a key injury or two and all of a sudden they can be AFC Favorites.

I think Smith is above average and can get it done while others think he is mediocre and he gives us no chance.  Somewhere in that range is the truth.

That said, a solid backup is essential in either case.  I do not see Tyler Bray as that guy.  Reid and Dorsey already said Mahomes is not ready.

Bray needs to show us some real improvement this preseason or why even keep the guy?

Get a #2 on a one year deal and give as many preseason snaps as possible to Mahomes.

w

Exactly this. If we're making Bray the backup and Alex goes down for any extended length of time we might as well get mahomes some experience.

I disagree.  Bray has been in the practices and running the offense in training camps for three years. He has studied, and knows, the vast playbook of Reid.  He has done this for a few years.  The rest of the offensive players have done the same thing and deserve to have a backup QB who can use all of those players and the entire playbook.  Mahomes needs at least a year to be able to utilize all of his players and to know what the hell is going on out there, reading pro defenses, etc.  Using him too soon could destroy his confidence and make him tentative.  A lot of promising QB's have been permanently ruined that way.  We have too much of an investment in him.  Bray should be the backup.  No FA QB knows Reid's system like Bray.

I disagree. Bray has been in the practices and running the offense in training camps for three years. He has studied, and knows, the vast playbook of Reid. He has done this for a few years. The rest of the offensive players have done the same thing and deserve to have a backup QB who can use all of those players and the entire playbook. Mahomes needs at least a year to be able to utilize all of his players and to know what the hell is going on out there, reading pro defenses, etc. Using him too soon could destroy his confidence and make him tentative. A lot of promising QB's have been permanently ruined that way. We have too much of an investment in him. Bray should be the backup. No FA QB knows Reid's system like Bray.

Plus, I think that if Bray comes in and plays well, we could either let Mahomes learn more next year or trade Bray. Or we would know that we had a good back up in Brae if we kept him. But if we played Mahomess if Smith went down, we wouldn't know anything about Bray, Bray would have no experience, we cannot trade them for as much.

Having said that, all of this goes out the window if Reid and Dorsey feel that Mahomes could win a Super Bowl with us if Smith went down. If they believe in Mahomes more than Bray, and our window is there, then yes, get some experience for him. Play the best guy and when someone else becomes the best guy, replace.

I disagree. Bray has been in the practices and running the offense in training camps for three years. He has studied, and knows, the vast playbook of Reid. He has done this for a few years. The rest of the offensive players have done the same thing and deserve to have a backup QB who can use all of those players and the entire playbook. Mahomes needs at least a year to be able to utilize all of his players and to know what the hell is going on out there, reading pro defenses, etc. Using him too soon could destroy his confidence and make him tentative. A lot of promising QB's have been permanently ruined that way. We have too much of an investment in him. Bray should be the backup. No FA QB knows Reid's system like Bray.

Bray knowing the system and the coaches knowing him and what he is capable of is key in this. I'm guessing they are thinking that Bray being in and knowing the system and knowing what he is capable of is better than a FA QB with experience that will not know the system very well. With the available FA QBs id rather give Bray a shot and see what he can do if necessary.

Chase Daniel was not an experienced QB when he came here and he was fine as a backup. To me the way they are doing this is an old school approach to it and are trying to develop everything in house.

I would have to think they would base that decision on how well line line is playing. If Smith goes down because he is getting creamed 12 times a game, no way they put Mahomes in. But if the running game and pass blocking are above average, it only makes sense to play Mahomes.

How many regular season snaps did Tom Brady or Kurt Warner have before they took over. 

A question that has to be answered only by also looking at all of the other names, as well, not just a couple of great ones.  What about their colleges and competition and offensive philosophies and O-lines in college, their draft order, etc.  Wasn't Brady a 6th round pick?

Mahomes had to pass for over 400 yards per game to even win, because their defense was non-existent.  Mahomes needs to learn how to win by putting up sometimes half that number of yards.  He needs training, not being put out there in front of 80,000 screaming fans who have paid a hundred bucks per ticket and who are quick to judge, and against NFL defenses. He needs to know how to read those phenomenal and disguised defenses and win by whatever is given to him, whether it is a short, intermediate, or long game or by a run-dominated time of possession game, managing the clock.  It takes time.

He's a top 10 pick on a really good team. He should be able to play this year. If he's better than AA, put him out there. I think it's pretty easy to learn how not to throw for 400 yards. I'm tired of getting like 180-220 yards and clinging to a lead while leaning on the defense. Let's blow some teams out.

How many regular season snaps did Tom Brady or Kurt Warner have before they took over.

Different eras and different college offenses. Warner also trained in the arena league before playing in the NFL and both had the benefit of learning how to qb before being thrown in the fire.

From a total yards perspective, he has improved every year from 2009 to 2016. Exception was the year he lost his job in SF. His other stats don't show the same trend, but yeah. I can see where he would say that.

He had more long completions than I remember. But he had a bad year rushing and seemed to bail in an intact pocket to much. I think he will have a career year and make some bank in FA.

Archived