Tied for the least amount of pressures in the NFL last year. Guess it's the olines fault Alex has to push it so fast.

https://twitter.com/chiefsreporter/status/872473185685557248

We had one of the quickest releases in the league last year (Smith and Foles) so the pressures are going to go down. Now I know that Smith gets happy feet, but some of the lack of pressure is getting the ball out quick by design, not pressure (so lack of pressure does not mean the line is holding up really well for long). I know that the great deep passers can get the ball out of their hands pretty quickly for a deep passes, but being that Smith doesn't do that much, it's not emphasized in the playcalls much nor would Smith take advantage much, the short passes will also lead to less pressure. What I'm trying to say is that I don't think the line is bad, but the lack of pressure is not because of good blocking.

Tied for the least amount of pressures in the NFL last year. Guess it's the olines fault Alex has to push it so fast.

https://twitter.com/chiefsreporter/status/872473185685557248

Because the tallies are all that matter. Just like every other stat.

Or maybe there's so much more to the story that would be obvious if you actually watched the games.

Because the tallies are all that matter. Just like every other stat.

Or maybe there's so much more to the story that would be obvious if you actually watched the games.

What's obvious is alex is avaerage and you can't accept that.

It's houstons fault, Charles, online, Eric berry, and on and on.

I watch the game. The chiefs oline is solid.

Jah Reid.

*drops mic*

Is a backup for a reason. We have good to great starters across the oline. Left guard is the only one that is a work in progress.

I guess if it doesn't fit your narrative you just fall back on insults and telling people they don't watch as "hard" as you. Good job.

Is a backup for a reason. We have good to great starters across the oline. Left guard is the only one that is a work in progress.

I guess if it doesn't fit your narrative you just fall back on insults and telling people they don't watch as "hard" as you. Good job.

What "narrative"? Jah Reid was on the field to give up the hack-pick because Parker Ehinger couldn't play and because Reid called for a heavy-set. Hindsight is 20/20, but without using your eyes, it's just 100% hind.

Of course, it is possible that my "narrative" bears the greatest correlation to truth. If we had to go off of your account here, the Chiefs' roster is stacked with talented, star players. The problem has continued to be that many of those star players weren't around for the post-season snaps.

This Offensive Line is a stark difference from what Andy ran for a long time.

He went for big maulers and has a group of undersized guys in comparison now. They are a good group for getting to the next level, but good fucking luck if you want them to maul on 4th and short.

I don't think they've adjusted plays and blocking concepts just right to reflect it.

Fulton has shitty feet and is a real bad fit which is why the line dipped when he went in.

If this suggests they were one of the best pass blocking teams last year, it is mistaken. They are a young group and going through growing pains.

I think they really show their progress this year if healthy. Depth is still very bad so we will have to stay healthy.

Its great to know that we have consensus that Fisher is no longer a bust.

w

Fisher has become solid. Still has his moments but he's come into his own. I'd classify him as a good LT right now.

Schwartz Is one of the best.

LDT made a massive leap forward last year. I don't think I've ever seen a lineman make that big a jump in one year. The year before was crap. Last year was very solid.

Morse is one of the best.

That's 2 great, 1 good, and one solid budding on good, linemen. If the young kid can come back and build off the progress he was making last year we have the makings of a great line.

Be nice if we had better backups but no team has everything.

I get the break down about the alex smith design and quick passes, but that has been the same MO for Alex Smith the prior 3 years with KC as well, and the chiefs Oline was among the top in pressures ALLOWED in those three years.  Looking at Sacks, the oline allowed 47, 49, 47 the prior 3 years, then it dropped to 32 this year.  nothing in Alex Smith has changed, so that's on the improvement of the oline...

run blocking, however is a different story...

I get the break down about the alex smith design and quick passes, but that has been the same MO for Alex Smith the prior 3 years with KC as well, and the chiefs Oline was among the top in pressures ALLOWED in those three years. Looking at Sacks, the oline allowed 47, 49, 47 the prior 3 years, then it dropped to 32 this year. nothing in Alex Smith has changed, so that's on the improvement of the oline...

run blocking, however is a different story...

I do think the O line improved. But I also think that they were quicker than those other three years and that helps.

We're not a top 5 oline. But we are in the top half of the league.

Morse gave up no sacks and only 13 pressures all year. LDT earned the top overall pass blocking grade on the team. Fisher is a great run blocker but while improving, still needs work as a pass blocker. Schwartz had a down year for him but that's to be expected changing teams and schemes. The line is ascending overall. Qb play unfortunately had stayed about the same

I find it interesting that everyone is emphasizing the quality of play by the offensive tackles. I've complained very little about either Fisher or Schwartz.

This very well illustrates something important: Not all pressures are equal. It's one thing to be hurried because of an edge rusher getting around the tackles. It's another thing when an inordinate number of pressures are coming between the 'A' and 'B' gaps. It's a fact that gets overlooked when undue emphasis is given to a total.

Look beyond the aggregated stats, and you'll understand the significance of the very real concerns about the offensive line, especially the version of the line that included Zach Fulton.

We're not a top 5 oline. But we are in the top half of the league.

Morse gave up no sacks and only 13 pressures all year. LDT earned the top overall pass blocking grade on the team. Fisher is a great run blocker but while improving, still needs work as a pass blocker. Schwartz had a down year for him but that's to be expected changing teams and schemes. The line is ascending overall. Qb play unfortunately had stayed about the same

While I agree that the quarterback play hasn't changed that much in the offensive line has improved, I do think that we had a quicker release and that was by strategy, perhaps to avoid oline pressure's. So where the O line is a little blurred. He's quicker releases, when you don't have a quarterback who throws deep fast, leads to even more short passes then if we had a longer time to release.

I do know that Smith has happy feet and often will pull the trigger quick instead of letting the play progress. So I'm not even trying to give Smith the credit. I'm just saying that pressure isn't the best way to look at what's happening. There are multiple factors. (I'm not saying that you didn't believe there were multiple factors! I'm just talking about the offense.)

Good QBs make O lines better. Defenses have no fear of the passing games against us. Get Mahomes throwing downfield and watch how everybody will think the O line and running game have improved.

Unless Mahomes holds the ball too long shooting for the moon. Then watch the number of sacks and pressures explode and the number of first down and touchdown rushes decrease. Thereafter all of the stat-mongers will be crying for the heads of the same offensive linemen some are praising today.

Good QBs make O lines better. Defenses have no fear of the passing games against us. Get Mahomes throwing downfield and watch how everybody will think the O line and running game have improved.

I think they are getting better at that. Remember they have ran a number of pound it plays when fearing the passing game was not an issue. First and goal on the 1 when they pounded it 4 times and couldn't get a yard. That is hard to pin on Smith.

I do agree though. A down field passing game will make it a lot easier for the line. Especially between the 10s.

Archived