r220108_1296x518_5-2.jpg

Denny Medley/USA TODAY Sports

Patrick Mahomes II's talent beginning to show up for Chiefs

Patrick Mahomes II made some of his best throws of the offseason Wednesday. But just as impressive -- the way the rookie QB didn't appear satisfied.Adam Teicher ESPN Staff Writer 

Rookie quarterback Pat Mahomes II had his best day at Chiefs practice on Wednesday. Mahomes made a number of good throws, including one deep down the right sideline that rookie wide receiver Marcus Kemp went high to grab. Last week, quarterbacks coach Matt Nagy said he thought Mahomes' talent would begin to show more as he grew more comfortable with the offensive system and perhaps that's what's happening. "It definitely was a good day," Mahomes said. "It's all about putting these good days back to back and not having bad days." The Chiefs, who conclude their offseason work Thursday with the end of their three-day mini-camp, practiced without safety Eric Berry, who has a sore heel.

He won't even be the #2 after training camp, give the kid a chance to learn like Aaron Rodgers did so when his time comes he's ready! You want to just throw him out there so he can be damaged like David Carr behind our ok Oline and never amount to anything?

He won't even be the #2 after training camp, give the kid a chance to learn like Aaron Rodgers did so when his time comes he's ready! You want to just throw him out there so he can be damaged like David Carr behind our ok Oline and never amount to anything?

Or he could be the next russel wilson. We have no idea what's about to take place.

I think you are right DH.

and for the record, I have not heard anyone want to "throw Mahommes into the fire".  I have heard folks with very high expectations for this kid in the coming YEARS.

w

You guys really need to realize that this is not the same online of years past. KCs line was 5th lowest in the league when it came to QB hits allowed. And that was with Alex running a ton less than he had in the past. While I agree that 2PM needs to be brought in slowly, I'm not going to say that it's the olines fault that he will fail if brought in early...

You guys really need to realize that this is not the same online of years past. KCs line was 5th lowest in the league when it came to QB hits allowed. And that was with Alex running a ton less than he had in the past. While I agree that 2PM needs to be brought in slowly, I'm not going to say that it's the olines fault that he will fail if brought in early...

Yes. Pass blocking was solid. Run game needs to grow leaps and bounds.

Mahomes will be the #2. They only dress 2 QBs and they need him for n the sideline to learn. Bray is playing for a spot as the #3 IMO.

He would still be able to be on the sideline to watch and learn or if he were not dressed. I'd keep Bray at #2 to begin the season and if Smith gets hurt and Bray continues we'll, we'd know he's a good backup or could trade him.

I just hope they don't change too much about him.

He's got that rare ability that I've only seen out of Johnny Maziel in awhile. Fortunately he has the size, arm talent and work ethic that Manziel lacked and he didn't get drafted to Syria (Cleveland).

If he wasn't on an awful TT squad, we never would of had a shot at him. I think he's going to be the star that I thought JFF would become.

I just hope they don't change too much about him.

He's got that rare ability that I've only seen out of Johnny Maziel in awhile. Fortunately he has the size, arm talent and work ethic that Manziel lacked and he didn't get drafted to Syria (Cleveland).

If he wasn't on an awful TT squad, we never would of had a shot at him. I think he's going to be the star that I thought JFF would become.

JFF?

I can dream. We've seen what AA is capable of. May the best QB play.

Yep, I watched him out duel Drew Brees and Eli Manning in 2011 only to come up short due to two muffed kick returns.

Vs Brees: 103.2 rating vs 93.5, 3 TDs to 0 Ints for Smith / 4 TDs to 2 Ints for Brees. Brees had Colston, Sproles and Graham to throw to, Smith had Crybaby Tree, Davis and Gore.

Vs Manning: 97.6 rating vs 82.3, both ended up with 2 TDs to 0 Ints. Manning had Cruz, Nicks and Bradshaw to throw to, Smith had Crybaby Tree, Davis and Gore. Big difference, Kyle Williams muffs a kick on SF 29 in the 4th quarter which leads to NYG TD. Then in OT, Kyle Williams again fumbles a return and this time the Giants only need a FG to win and go to the SB.

So what does this mean? Smith can lead a team to the SB if everyone does their part and with lesser players than their opponents.

Another tidbit about Smith, everyone says that he has hit his ceiling. What's funny is he has only improved every season he has been in KC so how is that already hitting his ceiling?

Last year was not an improvement. And Improving from Below average, to average, to slightly above average is not something to cheer. IMO of course.

Archived