The Raiders Have Officially Overpaid Derek Carr

That is not overpaid. If anything, good franchise qb's are underpaid. Compare that to MLB or NBA salaries, or even to franchise numbers for other NFL positions. And then consider that finding a great qb is probably the hardest thing to do in all of sports.

Eh

Once the next round of QB deals are filed, this will be an avg contract.

People lost their *** when Brees got 20.

And what have the Saints not lost since Brees got $20 million a year? Since signing his 2011 contract, Brees is 2-3 in the post-season, and hasn't gotten past the Divisional Playoff since. Maybe it's because he was overpaid.

And what have the Saints not lost since Brees got $20 million a year? Since signing his 2011 contract, Brees is 2-3 in the post-season, and hasn't gotten past the Divisional Playoff since. Maybe it's because he was overpaid.

Or maybe because Micky Loomis is an overrated GM and still has control because the owner is teetering on the edge of being a vegetable.

I love the deal most of these 100 mill players don't pan out. Carr is good but he is not the best QB in the NFL AND doesn't deserve the money he got in my mind. What has he won to deserve those dollars. Again paying a player for potential vs production.

Edited - he's 7-10 vs the AFC West with 0 playoff games and now he's the highest paid in the league. This will turn out to hurt the Raiders which makes me very happy.

I love the deal most of these 100 mill players don't pan out. Carr is good but he is not the best QB in the NFL AND doesn't deserve the money he got in my mind. What has he won to deserve those dollars. Again paying a player for potential vs production.

Edited - he's 7-10 vs the AFC West with 0 playoff games and now he's the highest paid in the league. This will turn out to hurt the Raiders which makes me very happy.

You just described Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan, Newton Winston....et al

You just described Matt Stafford and Matt Ryan, Newton Winston....et al

Cam Newton doesn't deserve to have his name in the same sentence as Matt Stafford or Matt Ryan. The latter two are quarterbacks, not athletes who can throw the ball like a pitcher. Cam Newton is a better football player than Colin Kaepernick, but he's still no pocket quarterback. It's glaringly obvious on tape.

As much as I loathe the Faiders it's hard to say they overpaid for Carr...  He was going to be the NFL MVP last season before he was injured, the sky is the limit for that offense with him improving as a QB.

Derek Carr was not the best quarterback in the league, and yet he really might have won the MVP award. It just goes to show how often the people voting for MVP don't even know what the criteria for Most Valuable Player are.

Ryan and Newton have been to SBs and lost huge

, Stafford has been putting up good numbers for years, thats all he does, put up numbers- but here is one for ya 0-4; playoff record

Winston doesn't deserve that kind of money either. Punk- should have never been drafted

If you put more value on a QB then a stud defender then I could see your point. However, there are several QBs walking around with SB rings due to their stud defender's and not their QB skills.

Which stud defender on the Patriots? Team team team

The Giants? None stand out

The Seahawks? They were all good, not just Sherman- hes got the loudest mouth and believes his own bullshit

The Steelers? Team again

Broncos? nah

If you put more value on a QB then a stud defender then I could see your point. However, there are several QBs walking around with SB rings due to their stud defender's and not their QB skills.

Having a top tier QB has a value that just really can't be quantified. They are extremely hard to find and develop, hwnce why teams are now burning multiple 1's for underclass guys (see: us).

Mack has a lot of value also, but QB is the most pivotal position in all of sports.

Sure the Chiefs have his number, but outside of that he was on pace to be a MVP contender before the snap.

Khalil Mack is closer in skill and talent to league the league's top defensive end than Derek Carr is in skill and talent to the league's top quarterback.

At the same time, it's more important to have a capable quarterback than it is to have a capable defensive end.

These are not mutually exclusive, anyway. The Raiders finished their season as they did because they had Derek Carr and Khalil Mack, not to mention numerous other players doing their jobs at a level higher than what their counterparts on the Chiefs accomplished. Offensive lines are underappreciated.

Archived