Andy Reid, Chiefs agree to contract extension

Big Red will be sticking around for a while. The Kansas City Chiefs announced a contract extension for head coach Andy Reid. The Chiefs didn’t announce any specifics but it was believed that Reid was entering the final year of his original five-year contract signed back in 2013. I actually asked Chiefs owner Clark Hunt about an extension for Reid about a year ago and it sounded like it was in the plans.

The details of his original contract have never been made public by the Chiefs but those Forbes lists of the highest paid coaches had him at $7 million per year. That’s among the highest paid coaches but probably not the highest. I can only assume a new contract means a raise for Reid considering his success in Kansas City.

Terez Paylor talked to Reid about his contract earlier this year and he said he still loves coaching.

Where Andy Reid ranks in the NFL505309742.jpgPhoto by Jim Rogash/Getty Images

NFL dot com recently ranked all the head coaches in the NFL and Big Red landed in the top five. Read here.

The Chiefs had these quotes from Reid and Hunt in the press release.

Andy Reid: “I’d like to thank Clark and the entire Hunt family for the opportunity to continue my coaching career here in Kansas City. We’ve made quite a bit of progress over the last four seasons, but we are not done yet. We are going to continue to work towards our ultimate goal of winning championships. I’ve been blessed by the support of the community, our fans, the Hunt family and the entire Chiefs staff. I’m looking forward to the years ahead as the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.”

Clark Hunt: “My family and I have been very pleased by the success the franchise has sustained over the last four seasons under Coach Reid. He has already established himself as one of the best coaches in the league, and he is well on his way to solidifying a place among the all-time greats. We are proud to have him leading our football team, and I look forward to working with him to bring a championship to Chiefs Kingdom.”

So ... what about John Dorsey? The Chiefs GM was linked to the Packers GM job (that isn’t even open) but he shot that down and said he loves Kansas City. I don’t know if Dorsey already got a new deal and we don’t know or if he’s entering the final year of his contract.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/6/22/15856224/andy-reid-chiefs-agree-to-contract-extension

Only wins matter to me. Not seeds. We've had #1 seeds before and failed

Well then, we should have lost one more regular season game so that we could have beaten one more wild card team. Two playoff wins! Geez. I didn't even say two was good.

Archived