Chiefs part ways with Dorsey

Jeff Chadia speculated it might of been more about "management styles" between  Dorsey &  Hunt and the possibility that the scuttle butt about Green Bay  might of added to something or maybe Dorsey just felt he was worth more than he was to Clark  using GB as leverage.

Chadia also mentioned that the GB GM job has many in house candidates for the job to come..like Wolf JR so its hardly a gimmie the Dorsey would be the next hire.

I always like Chadia's segments

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question,  when Clark Hunt has to step up and hire the expensive guy,  he does it.  When Scott Pioli was hired from New England,  he was the hot guy.   Todd Haley was the hot coach when he was hired.  We got Andy Reid from about a dozen other candidates.

Usually when someone of Dorsey's stature is fired,  Hunt has someone credible waiting in the wings.   I do notthink the Dorsey firing was a spur of the moment thing.  

I guess he wanted to do it after the June practices.  Dorsey was not without his faults.  He missed on Bowe and he overpaid Houston and perhaps Berry.   This is a business.  I bet Dorsey will not be out of work very long.

But it sure does add a sour flavor to the upcoming season.

I am not down about this season at all and sticking with my 12-4. We are better than last year and went 12-4 last year.

We lost Charles, Mac and Poe. None of which made significant contributions to our 12-4 record. We added a second RB to take the pressure off of Ware, a legitimate backup QB, a run stuffing NT (huge need) and a 300 pound edge rusher. Our line is back to full strength and a year more mature. Houston looks to be healthy which was a huge loss last year. DJ is practicing already.

We still have our top our top 5 contributors to rushing yards. 4 of our top 5 contributors to receiving yards. Our top 10 in tackles.

I just can't find a reason to be down on this year's team. Maybe I am missing something.

What you're missing is the fact that many want to find a reason to complain.  JC hurt for two years?  All is lost by his release.  Maclin contributed little for a season and may have undisclosed issues?  Passing game is doomed by his release.  Poe less effective (except on offense)?  D-line is trash since his release.  Why can't people understand that there are wiser talent and personel evaluators with inside information that are making these decisions?    

Was it a firing or just a statement that they would not renew his contract after this season? If it was the latter, I would lean towards Dorsey wanting to be free to go after GB.

It's hard to picture a "pack your stuff and get out" scenario.

Was it a firing or just a statement that they would not renew his contract after this season? If it was the latter, I would lean towards Dorsey wanting to be free to go after GB.

It's hard to picture a "pack your stuff and get out" scenario.

but it was

My issue is the "discontinuity" of the situation.

Chiefs extend Reid & Donovan and let Ballard walk.

Dorsey is let go 4 weeks from Camp....far from an ideal time.

It just looks like a franchise that is not in harmony.

Time will tell and I agree with DH. The sky is not falling as the roster is pretty much set for this year.

w

from all I got from Teicher/Chadia etc.. my best guess is that there was some sort of wall in the contract extension negotiations. ..to many maybe scenario but the ones that seem most likely to me was ..not necessarily in order

Hunt did not like Dorsey's CAP management ability..waiting till the last moment and having to over pay FA's and being in CAP HELL

Hunt didn't like the way Dorsey managed the releases of JC/JMac and may have gotten a ear full from Reid

Dorsey over evaluated his performance and tried to play Hunt using GB as his leverage

Dorsey maybe wanted an "out" encase  GB did come calling showing that he was not "all in"  on the KC job.

The Chiefs since end of season have also fired  their old CAP  Guru so that says that there was a problem and maybe Dorsey that he might of been able to offer up a sacrificial lamb  to cover his ass and hire an GB guy to replace him.

Face it ..Dorsey was not that great in the $$ dept.

He signed Bowe after a  Franchise tender tag..that was laughable..he could of signed Houston and Berry to long term deals but wiffed on that..costing 10's of millions. We had to  give up a 3rd for Jmac for tampering and having to release him for salary reasons in 3 years. He drafted and released a 3rd rnd pick before training camp. He totally fucked up the Tamba Hali deal ..costing 4 mil if memory serves..all that in less that in less than 5 years. ..I'd wager there is near 70 mil in  Cap $$ over the next few years that were needlessly spent... good talent could of been had or kept.

on the +'s he found Kelce. He drafted the CB who's name escapes me at this moment, Tyreek Hill was a great pick so far, moved up to get Mohomes which showed Balls but the result wont be known for 3-5 years.  And altho far from an Eagle Feather in the cap I'll give him picking the right LT  with the #1 pick. He has been able to  make the best out of some mediocre situations. I really dont see where is was all that better in talent finding that Pioli..just more palatable personality

Bottom line..in my mind & if it were my team..thinking that a little bit of each speculation had a bit to do with what happened and his over all GM record, the Team being set for the year so he's out of the picture.. I'd fired him too ...reluctantly.

Maybe it had something to do with how Dorsey let Maclin know he was no longer a Chief.

I would take a look at Herm Edwards for our next GM, he has an eye for talent.

Bawahahahahahahahahahahaha

Some thing never change.....a Herm sighting.....LOL

What you're missing is the fact that many want to find a reason to complain.  JC hurt for two years?  All is lost by his release.  Maclin contributed little for a season and may have undisclosed issues?  Passing game is doomed by his release.  Poe less effective (except on offense)?  D-line is trash since his release.  Why can't people understand that there are wiser talent and personel evaluators with inside information that are making these decisions?    

Apparently Maclin tore his groin and played thru it- probably should have had surgery and gone on IR....

The vm thing is bullshit tho....

Apparently Maclin tore his groin and played thru it- probably should have had surgery and gone on IR....

The vm thing is bullshit tho....

That's what I have been saying since last year.  Groins are a very painful and nagging injury. The only question last year was whether his trying to play was his own fault by playing his pain down to the trainers in order to keep playing, or whether there was pressure being put on him to keep playing.  I think its the former, because the trainers and docs know what the hell they are doing. I think Maclin ignored their advice, but I am only speculating.

I think Dorsey was a double edged sword.  He was obviously great at identifying talent in the mid and later rounds, and we have been blessed by that. BUT, how quickly we all forget how upset we have been over and over and over again (and posted on this forum about) his handling of contracts.  We waited for fucking ever for Berry to be re-signed, for Houston, for Charles, for many more.  Over and over again, he kept using the franchise tag for both years instead of re-negotiating, until the market was simply too expensive to keep these players, or we had to pay them too much to compete with other teams' bids.  This was VERY destructive, folks. And it was Dorsey we were complaining about.  Remember?  We were all gnashing our teeth about it.  It cost us a LOT of money and team distress and anxiety among the players.  It alienated our best players.  This Maclin thing was probably necessary because of the horrible cap situation and because we have Hill and a bunch of other young receivers with high ceilings (Jehu Chesson, anyone?).  But the way he let Maclin know was cruel and alienating and unnecessary.  I think Reid was really pissed about that, because he really loves his players. Dorsey will be remembered for a long time for the way he FINALLY did what had to be done to go get our franchise QB.

We will get a new GM, who will be talented at re-negotiating and dealing with players, but he won't likely find the talent that Dorsey did.  If Mahomes pans out, we can probably afford that.

I said it awhile ago and got eviscerated for it.

He's more talent evaluator than GM. He can spot talent, but struggled to understand actual value of talent and had a terrible sense of timing.

He was the literal opposite of Scott Pioli.

The depth on the team is going to decrease in quality unless they find a way to at least side-grade in that dept.

It's like starting to bang an 8 and deciding you should be banging Kate Upton.

On the flipside, he had a bunch of horrible contracts and made some real questionable moves. I hope they really improve in that regard.

I think Dorsey was a double edged sword.  He was obviously great at identifying talent in the mid and later rounds, and we have been blessed by that. BUT, how quickly we all forget how upset we have been over and over and over again (and posted on this forum about) his handling of contracts.  We waited for fucking ever for Berry to be re-signed, for Houston, for Charles, for many more.  Over and over again, he kept using the franchise tag for both years instead of re-negotiating, until the market was simply too expensive to keep these players, or we had to pay them too much to compete with other teams' bids.  This was VERY destructive, folks. And it was Dorsey we were complaining about.  Remember?  We were all gnashing our teeth about it.  It cost us a LOT of money and team distress and anxiety among the players.  It alienated our best players.  This Maclin thing was probably necessary because of the horrible cap situation and because we have Hill and a bunch of other young receivers with high ceilings (Jehu Chesson, anyone?).  But the way he let Maclin know was cruel and alienating and unnecessary.  I think Reid was really pissed about that, because he really loves his players. Dorsey will be remembered for a long time for the way he FINALLY did what had to be done to go get our franchise QB.

We will get a new GM, who will be talented at re-negotiating and dealing with players, but he won't likely find the talent that Dorsey did.  If Mahomes pans out, we can probably afford that.

A very solid assessment. Another point to add...one of the keys to getting free agents to come here like Mitchell Schwartz and Benny Logan has been the tightness of the players and the locker room. Both guys when interviewed and asked "why Kansas City?" mentioned the fact they were told what a great locker room the Chiefs had and it factored into their decision. I understand Berry is still miffed at how his deal went down. The things you mentioned about how players were cut and contract deals...they chip away at the players who are still here. Suddenly players aren't recommending guys come to Kansas City. It certainly hurt us a ton back when Pioli was running things. Who can forget the Emmanuel Sanders debacle? My fear is who is the guy to fill Dorsey's spot? What will he be good or bad at? Wait and see.

My man Clark Hunt does not care about the opinions of the fans rather the working of a potential dynasty. Reid needs a GM that can better antipate the cap situation and coast through the years with Mahomes and Hill and Kelce leading the O while Houston and Berry and Peters holding the D

My man Clark Hunt does not care about the opinions of the fans rather the working of a potential dynasty. Reid needs a GM that can better antipate the cap situation and coast through the years with Mahomes and Hill and Kelce leading the O while Houston and Berry and Peters holding the D

If he cared about building a dynasty why have the chiefs never come remotely close to it? Clark Cunt is a terrible owner.

I said it awhile ago and got eviscerated for it.

He's more talent evaluator than GM. He can spot talent, but struggled to understand actual value of talent and had a terrible sense of timing.

He was the literal opposite of Scott Pioli.

The depth on the team is going to decrease in quality unless they find a way to at least side-grade in that dept.

It's like starting to bang an 8 and deciding you should be banging Kate Upton.

On the flipside, he had a bunch of horrible contracts and made some real questionable moves. I hope they really improve in that regard.

Personality & Budgetary wise I agree but look at how many player we had these last few years that were Pioli picks.  Berry/Houston until this year Poe. He signed a great deal for JC and when he left if memory serves we were in good shape with the  CAP..

Sam Mellinger in his column in the KC Star said that he thinks Dorsey was looking for a big payday and Hunts and Dorsey had reached an impasse in contract negotiations.   Mellinger said that he believed Dorsey's first preference was to get his contract renegotiated but it is possible he was asking for too much.

Whatever the reasons,  he won't be out of a job very long.  KC still has to pay him his final years salary.

Personality & Budgetary wise I agree but look at how many player we had these last few years that were Pioli picks.  Berry/Houston until this year Poe. He signed a great deal for JC and when he left if memory serves we were in good shape with the  CAP..

We were in good shape with the cap, but couldn't win more than 2 games.

Archived