Chiefs part ways with Dorsey

We were in good shape with the cap, but couldn't win more than 2 games.

your not going to get me to be a Pioli apologist but under RAC we couldn't win more than 2 games..seem to recall some exciting Football a couple of those years 2010 in particular

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had read elsewhere that Dorsey had pissed off Berry during the contract Negotiations and that Clark had to talk to EB to calm him down so they could close

the deal. but EB did not want to deal with Dorsey at all, and throw in the way that Maclin & Charles were handled as well as Jaye Howard then the LR was a

ticking timebomb

In accordance with the expanded Rooney Rule it looks as if  Louis Riddick will be interviewed for the GM job. It seems as if he was involved with the Eagles. Riddick, 48, has Andy Reid ties. He started in Philly as a scout for the Eagles in 2008 and worked his way up to Director of Pro Personnel before exiting in 2013 and did interview for the 49rs job

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/6/25/15870196/first-known-chiefs-gm-interview-looks-to-be-espns-louis-riddick-per-report

The first name in the Kansas City Chiefs GM search is ESPN’s Louis Riddick. In a story broken by NFL Network and not ESPN, Ian Rapoport says the Chiefs have reached out to Louis Riddick to set up an interview for their GM job that is now vacant after the Chiefs fired John Dorsey.

A very solid assessment. Another point to add...one of the keys to getting free agents to come here like Mitchell Schwartz and Benny Logan has been the tightness of the players and the locker room. Both guys when interviewed and asked "why Kansas City?" mentioned the fact they were told what a great locker room the Chiefs had and it factored into their decision. I understand Berry is still miffed at how his deal went down. The things you mentioned about how players were cut and contract deals...they chip away at the players who are still here. Suddenly players aren't recommending guys come to Kansas City. It certainly hurt us a ton back when Pioli was running things. Who can forget the Emmanuel Sanders debacle? My fear is who is the guy to fill Dorsey's spot? What will he be good or bad at? Wait and see.

I think we needed Dorsey after going 2-12, in order to find players he could rebuild depth with and right the franchise.  Now that he has accomplished that, we need a different kind of GM...one who is great at keeping the good players and re-signing the great ones before they become too expensive for us.  Different times call for different kinds of GM's.  If Mahomes pans out in a few years to being a true franchise QB, he won't need to be surrounded by all-pros to function at a high level.  San Diego is a perfect example.  Once Brees, then Rivers were in place, they didn't need to find the fastest and most elusive receivers every year in the draft.  All they needed there was guys with good hands and reasonable route running skills.  All they needed on the line was guys who could give Rivers the time to get the ball out and who could open some running lanes enough to get 3 yards on first down.  Hopefully, that is where we are headed.  We can thank Dorsey for that and now try to keep our best players by being intelligent with the handling of contracts. Some day, we will need another Dorsey type.  Hopefully not for many years.

now Riddick is debunking reports

MIGHT be true.  I have never seen any area of business as secretive, close-mouthed, deceptive, and impenetrable as NFL negotiations.  Denial is standard operating procedure, because there is no price to pay for it.  Nobody wants to hurt anyone else's chances, and some are merely fishing for more information.  I am glad it is this way.  But neither you or me or anyone has one fucking clue about anyone being considered or whether what they are initially saying is actually true, including Riddick.  I still think they are just as likely to promote from within.  I strongly believe that, whether from within or without, it WILL be someone that Reid wants.  And it may be Riddick.

San Diego is a perfect example.  Once Brees, then Rivers were in place, they didn't need to find the fastest and most elusive receivers every year in the draft.  All they needed there was guys with good hands and reasonable route running skills.  All they needed on the line was guys who could give Rivers the time to get the ball out and who could open some running lanes enough to get 3 yards on first down.  Hopefully, that is where we are headed.

So the primary objection to the Chiefs not drafting quarterbacks in the first round was that the Chiefs hadn't won a Super Bowl doing that (even though the only Super Bowl the Chiefs have won was won with a quarterback that was drafted by another team years before). And yet now San Diego is to be an example?

I actually agree with the principle of needing certain pieces in the absence of other pieces, but this argument seems to suggest that the General Manager's success is predicated on what he has to work with, and not on what he actually does.

So the primary objection to the Chiefs not drafting quarterbacks in the first round was that the Chiefs hadn't won a Super Bowl doing that (even though the only Super Bowl the Chiefs have won was won with a quarterback that was drafted by another team years before). And yet now San Diego is to be an example?

??

I am not sure how you got that out of what I posted :lol:  You've got me scratching my head.

??

I am not sure how you got that out of what I posted :lol: You've got me scratching my head.

I think he was saying what is the point of having numerical success with a good to great quarterback if they never win a Super Bowl? There are teams with quarterbacks who have been drafted in the first round who have won the Super Bowl that would be a better example of why you need to draft a QB.

Having said all that, I skimmed your post. Let me go back and check… I presume that you said that San Diego drafted two good to great quarterbacks in the first round and you were hoping to go there. I would be hoping to get a first round quarterback who wins the Super Bowl (though, I would be absolutely fine winning a Super Bowl with an undrafted free agent or retread if it could be the longer-term success. Fuck it, even one Super Bowl and then purgatory). I would also wish to win the lottery even without buying a ticket.

Here is ehat I was trying to say. Teams that have a great, franchise QB only have to make sure they have a few playmakers and a solid line. They dont have to surround a merely good QB with stars. The kind of GM needed for a team with a great QB is someone who is great at keeping the playmakers in the fold and only decent at finding the best players all the time. That's it. Nothing more complicated. Winning a SB is a matter of great coaching and luck with injuries and a few lucky breaks or good calls. In the end, it is who wins the key games.

Yes, I post long especially when I can use speech recognition. I always thought verbal diarrhea is better than the real thing. Being concise gives me the real thing, just kidding.

I have had that many times, as you know.  I usually take verbal Imodium for that.  But sometimes I have to buy verbal Depends.

Here is ehat I was trying to say. Teams that have a great, franchise QB only have to make sure they have a few playmakers and a solid line. They dont have to surround a merely good QB with stars. The kind of GM needed for a team with a great QB is someone who is great at keeping the playmakers in the fold and only decent at finding the best players all the time. That's it. Nothing more complicated. Winning a SB is a matter of great coaching and luck with injuries and a few lucky breaks or good calls. In the end, it is who wins the key games.

Again, that doesn't seem to describe the star-studded teams that win a lot of Super Bowls. The Broncos had Peyton Manning, but they poached DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, and Emmanuel Sanders in free agency, and all three have been big contributors. And they drafted well.

The difference between the Chiefs and the teams winning Super Bowls is that the Chiefs overpay in free agency. They assembled a solid roster in only four years, but they've never attracted that last bit of talent to get them over the hump.

Again, that doesn't seem to describe the star-studded teams that win a lot of Super Bowls. The Broncos had Peyton Manning, but they poached DeMarcus Ware, Aqib Talib, and Emmanuel Sanders in free agency, and all three have been big contributors. And they drafted well.

The difference between the Chiefs and the teams winning Super Bowls is that the Chiefs overpay in free agency. They assembled a solid roster in only four years, but they've never attracted that last bit of talent to get them over the hump.

Absolutely. 

Having a great QB means not having draft offensive playmakers all over the field and allows teams to draft and develop more defensive players...and those guy don't have to be on the field as long, so they are stronger at the end of the game and can also take more chances on the field. 

Having a GM who is better at managing the cap allows a team to fill in holes with top FA's, something that Andy Reid loves to do. By the time of the next draft, Mahomes will likely be getting ready to start, so a trade for AS might bring in the money to sign another top FA or retain one or more of our stars who have contract talks coming up...or pick up more draft choices...or both.  Changing GM's might also be the right thing to do, because we have a VERY young and deep team (thanks to Dorsey).

Archived