Chiefs GM Position still seen as Attractive in NFL Circles

By Terez A. Paylor

tpaylor@kcstar.com

Nearly two full days after Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt’s stunning decision to fire general manager John Dorsey in the middle of the offseason with a full season left on his contract, NFL personnel inside and out of the organization are still wrapping their minds around the move.

“I think it’s kind of weird,” one NFC executive told The Star. “Draft’s over, the talent’s in place and all of a sudden, you’re out a GM and one of your top talent evaluators? The timing is strange.”

The decision could prevent the Chiefs from interviewing external candidates, because teams might not grant the permission to speak to their staff members so close to training camp and the regular season.

But Andrew Brandt, who spent 10 years as a Green Bay Packers vice president and writes for TheMMQB.com, doesn’t expect that to have much of an impact. “The Chiefs are a legacy franchise in the NFL, and I think people understand that,” Brandt said. “There will be no shortage of qualified people interested in that position.”

Nearly a dozen NFL front-office executives, who all spoke to The Star on the condition of anonymity and came from a wide range of management — from decision-making, player evaluation and coaching — agreed with Brandt’s assessment. Their overwhelming consensus: Taking over as Chiefs general manager is not only a good job, it might even be an ideal one.

“I think it’s an attractive position,” one NFC coach explained, “and a tough act to follow.”

“It is viewed as a great job,” another NFC executive said. “Very attractive.”

“People will jump at the job,” an AFC executive said. “KC is set up for years to come.”

Why? A widely respected, experienced coach in Andy Reid makes a general manager’s job easier. And the roster that Dorsey leaves behind is also a plus. Those factors likely will overwhelm any concerns about how Dorsey was fired despite his 43-21 regular-season record in four years, a tight salary cap situation and the lack of traditional “buck-stops-here” power.

“Guys under contract with other clubs might look and see that the pay is probably less than others, and there’s limited flexibility with the staff because it’s so close to the season, and they might not have control of the 53-man,” one longtime NFL evaluator noted. “Someone might want to wait until they can have those things.

“But in my opinion, I still think it’s a great job.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article158092674.html#storylink=cpy

Archived