Flowers is Gone

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/13/chiefs-release-cornerback-brandon-flowers/ 

Chiefs release cornerback Brandon Flowers
Posted by Darin Gantt on June 13, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
300x-84-e1379520659483.jpg?w=217Getty Images

Brandon Flowers wasn’t around for Chiefs OTAs. And now he won’t be around for any other activities either.

The Chiefs announced they had released the high-priced cornerback Friday afternoon.

Flowers was scheduled to make a $5.25 million this year, and because of those numbers, the Chiefs were willing to trade him. They’ll be able to split the dead money over two years by cutting him now.

The Chiefs were looking to get younger and bigger at the position, but it’s still shocking to see Pro Bowl-level players cut just before the weekend.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guest Mongo

I'd rather have kept Flowers and scrapped Shallow Hal.   :(  I'm sad.  I mocked Flowers to KC.

Thanks to BF.  He was a terrific player for many years.  I'm sure he'll land on his feet.  HOU and ATL are rumored.  TB makes sense.  

Let's hope Cooper or Gaines is ready to make a jump. 

Somewhere Bubs is happy.  

Yep, the handwriting was on the wall for this move. According to Terez Paylor this will save KC $7.5 million against the cap this year and next.

By cutting Flowers they should be able to extend Houston or Smith.

Or Berry

at 11:00 Tiecher & Petro were talking about the struggles of Gains, Smith's DUI etc and how altho expensive nothing had been shown by the others to make them think  the Chiefs could afford to lose Flowers but Flower's absence from OTA was mystifying.

I guess the Chiefs kept Flower's pass June1 hoping someone would bite on a trade

Best CB on the team gone, Suspect WR corps, Both Lines in Flux, Much Tougher Schedule

Oh Yeah This upcoming season is gonna be rough

Having said that, i have no problem with them releasing Flowers. He was not worth that kind of coin

we will hate it for this season but in a few years if dorsey drafts well then we could have a great payoff

will miss flowers...

but he was breaking down. Doesn't fit the  system..

hopefully gaines is showing the staff something along with parker....

according to Tiecher he is having  struggles..not that should be a surprise

I'm glad I have 0 expectations for this year

Guest Gochiefsgp

It seems like they are hoping that pass rush from Hali, Houston, ford and to a lesser degree, walker will help out the young secondary. This move was all about freeing up cap space though.

Good player but he didn't fit anymore. They obviously want big bump and run corners on the outside. Flowers was a short zone corner. He makes too much money to just be a nickel back. Hopefully, they will use some of the money to sign a NT. Jolly or Pickett from Green Bay would make sense. NT is really the only position we need depth at.

Cooper and Parker are ready to go. Let's get them out there.

Smith and Cooper were the starters most of last year, and all it means is that our CB depth has dropped off. Hard to keep a backup around with a 10 million dollar cap hit. I imagine we will hear about Houston's new contract before mini-camp. Alex can be tagged if we have to...

Flowers wasn't the player he was before his injury and the cap hit was just too much.  I'd expect a drop off in CB play this season but long term the team is probably better off moving on.  One issue the Chiefs have had since the lone SB win was that they kept popular players too long.  Consistent winners seem to turn over their rosters and still win.  The Chiefs need to follow that pattern.  

thing about releasing a good player for whatever reason is to beable to replace with equal or better for less. I have not heard anything that gives me confidence in regards to our current DB's. Flowers was not worth the $$ but the back field took a hit,

sure Hope Emmit sees something in someone and found that Diamond in a Goats ass

Good player but he didn't fit anymore. They obviously want big bump and run corners on the outside. Flowers was a short zone corner. He makes too much money to just be a nickel back. Hopefully, they will use some of the money to sign a NT. Jolly or Pickett from Green Bay would make sense. NT is really the only position we need depth at.

Cooper and Parker are ready to go. Let's get them out there.

I agree completely about NT. Poe took too many snaps last year. We need him fresh in the second half of the season.

thing about releasing a good player for whatever reason is to beable to replace with equal or better for less. I have not heard anything that gives me confidence in regards to our current DB's. Flowers was not worth the $$ but the back field took a hit,

sure Hope Emmit sees something in someone and found that Diamond in a Goats ass

The backfield definitely took a hit. IIRC, Indy didn't start blowing up our secondary last year until Flowers got hurt and Robinson had to cover the slot.

I never thought he was worth that contract but he was still the best corner on the roster.

He gave up 800 yards and 4 TDs last year. According to PFF, QBs had a 67.7 completion percentage when thrown at and opposing QBs had a 103.7 QB rating against him. He was hurt every year all the time. People have used that excuse with him forever. He was really good against the run but, he was never a good man corner against small fast guys like Desean Jackson, Mario Manningham, and Jacoby Ford. He was never good against the big guys like Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, and Keenan Allen either. Nobody would trade for that contract and he would have been the third best CB on the team. He's too short and slow to play outside in the defense Sutton wants to run. He's not a man corner but, is a zone corner. Herm drafted him to play in the cover 2. He just made way too much money to be the nickel back. He was the 5th highest paid CB in the NFL.

He gave up 800 yards and 4 TDs last year. According to PFF, QBs had a 67.7 completion percentage when thrown at and opposing QBs had a 103.7 QB rating against him. He was hurt every year all the time. People have used that excuse with him forever. He was really good against the run but, he was never a good man corner against small fast guys like Desean Jackson, Mario Manningham, and Jacoby Ford. He was never good against the big guys like Brandon Marshall, Dez Bryant, and Keenan Allen either. Nobody would trade for that contract and he would have been the third best CB on the team. He's too short and slow to play outside in the defense Sutton wants to run. He's not a man corner but, is a zone corner. Herm drafted him to play in the cover 2. He just made way too much money to be the nickel back. He was the 5th highest paid CB in the NFL.

This makes sense to me. We just couldn't afford a player that doesn't fit the system. That's what a few GM and coaching changes will do to you...along with bad contracts. Do you think there will be more players cut because of poor contacts in the future??

Archived