I hope Alex can get the ball to him

so your saying he cant improvise..he's a robot and if its not in the plan he cant do it.. yea thats not the QB that makes the HOF nor wins Super Bowls much less gets to one.

That's not what I said, but I can see that your willing to excuse the Coordinator's play design without any scrutiny whatsoever. It's par for the course for Smith detractors.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Smith has said about that play that Hill wasn't in the progression. The play didn't develop the way Smith anticipated, and one of the Steelers' pass rushers got a free lane toward Smith, leading him to bail the pocket for time. This play constantly gets referenced as an example of why Smith isn't a good quarterback, but it's based on a completely false assumption that shows a lack of fundamental knowledge about quarterbacking.

Smith instead should have said "yup, I missed him."

No more excuses this year

Smith instead should have said "yup, I missed him."

No more excuses this year

Are you suggesting Smith didn't man up to a mistake? Smith's not one to throw people under the bus. Even when it's not his fault, this is what he has to say about it: "The hard part, as a quarterback, is when a guy that’s not in your progression blows open because you’re not looking. Sometimes you fall into those and sometimes you miss them and you’re like ‘God if I would have just seen Tyreek over there.’"

Someone who's never played quarterback from any position other than Madden View might not understand the significance of what Smith is saying here. Smith certainly didn't have a great deal of time in the pocket on that play, nor did he typically have time in the pocket throughout that game. The opportunities to see a guy that open when he's not in the progression are ones of coincidence, not skill.

Smith has his faults, but when people pull out that .gif to make the point that Smith doesn't play the quarterback position well, it betrays what those people don't understand about football.

And commonly missed on that play: It would have been nice if Fulton actually blocks the free defender instead of doing almost nothing on a double-team of Eric Fisher's assignment. If Fulton adjusts correctly, Smith gets a pocket from which he might find Hill. And if Travis Kelce doesn't end up completely turned around by the defender that checked him hard at the line (the same one Fulton lets pass), he doesn't get taken completely out of the play.

All sorts of stuff went bad on that play, but somehow the blame ends up completely on Smith. People are seeing what they want to see to confirm their bias, and they don't take a second look.

It is strange. That same play happens to every QB, every game. Every game. Alex has a lot of plays and that he blew worse than that play. Especially with out knowing what the progression was. I keep seeing it as the example that Smith can't complete a pass. It is an odd choice to me.

so your saying he cant improvise..he's a robot and if its not in the plan he cant do it.. yea thats not the QB that makes the HOF nor wins Super Bowls much less gets to one.

He shouldn't go into a play thinking he's going to improvise. He has improvised in the past when the progression he did have wasn't open. But I think on this play the progression he had was open and so he didn't improvise when he could have.

If he goes into a play trying to improvise, he would hold on the ball too long and cough it up or takes a sack far more often than when he finds out Hill wide open. And this goes for any quarterback. But it's the times that works out that we remember. We have seen some quarterbacks do that more often and some of them can limit the bad stuff.

Knowing what we know, obviously the right thing to happen would've been Hill. But there are other situations at play. I'm sure Smith is my himself as well as those who could have made it work better. Only person who is not mad at himself would be Hill or the player that actually was targeted on the play.

It is strange. That same play happens to every QB, every game. Every game. Alex has a lot of plays and that he blew worse than that play. Especially with out knowing what the progression was. I keep seeing it as the example that Smith can't complete a pass. It is an odd choice to me.

Because everyone knows everything. Even when they know nothing.

Lmbo people are debating his read

Who gives a fuck what the progression was. A good QB spots a busted play by the D like that all day long. Alex danced and wasted a huge play.

The Steelers knew he was afraid to make the try and didn't bother to try and scramble help.

They spent two firsts for a reason.

Who gives a *** what the progression was. A good QB spots a busted play by the D like that all day long. Alex danced and wasted a huge play.

Based on what do you argue this? Certainly not on the basis of anything a quarterback ever said. Like DieHard said, "That same play happens to every QB, every game." It's possibly a slight exaggeration, but closer to the truth than the nonsense spouted by the folks that like to post a .gif about which Smith has already spoken publicly.

People should be taking DieHard more seriously.

Based on what do you argue this? Certainly not on the basis of anything a quarterback ever said. Like DieHard said, "That same play happens to every QB, every game." It's possibly a slight exaggeration, but closer to the truth than the nonsense spouted by the folks that like to post a .gif about which Smith has already spoken publicly.

People should be taking DieHard more seriously.

Based on plenty of high end QB's that notice the hole pre-snap every week.

You and your lover boy are talking progressions when he never made it.

A Brees, Rivers or an Eli is going to rush his Offensive to the line to get that big play going before the D figures it out.

Based on plenty of high end QB's that notice the hole pre-snap every week.

You and your lover boy are talking progressions when he never made it.

A Brees, Rivers or an Eli is going to rush his Offensive to the line to get that big play going before the D figures it out.

Neither Diehard nor myself are PhataLerror's lover boys. You brought it up when others were talking about capability of going deep. Missing a guy on a non-improvised play shows he's not Brees, etc all, but doesn't mean he's not capable of the deep play. I only mentioned it in reference to others' progression talk. I specifically said he missed him, not that he was unlucky.

They spent two firsts for a reason.

I know you don't like Smith and that's your right but at least get your facts right. Trading a first round pick to another team for their first round pick in the same draft is not the samething as giving up a first round pick. So technically the Chiefs gave up next years first round pick which means they gave up 1 first round pick.

I know you Smith haters like to say it was 2 pucks to make it sound so much more dramatic and so much more important then it really is but it's really minor.

Since Andy has been here the Chiefs have been picking in the 20s they are also having several draft picks. Do you really believe that they can't package some lower picks to get back into the forst round next year if they really want to?

Smith is good enough to get the Chiefs to a SB, will he is the question? Preparing your team by making a bold pickup is a way to help.

Do you really believe that they can't package some lower picks to get back into the forst round next year if they really want to?

Actually, if the Draft Pick Trade Value Chart is of any relevance, if the Chiefs make it as far as the Divisional Playoffs in 2017, their combined picks between rounds 2-7 don't have the value of the 32nd-overall pick. The Chiefs won't be trading into the first round next year unless they crash and burn, and then they would still have to bundle picks just to get into the late part of the first round.

Mahomes has yet to prove that he was worth the sacrifices made both this year and in the year to come. Anyone that argues that trading up for Mahomes didn't involve 'giving up picks' is either terrible at math or utterly disingenuous.

I know you don't like Smith and that's your right but at least get your facts right. Trading a first round pick to another team for their first round pick in the same draft is not the samething as giving up a first round pick. So technically the Chiefs gave up next years first round pick which means they gave up 1 first round pick.

I know you Smith haters like to say it was 2 pucks to make it sound so much more dramatic and so much more important then it really is but it's really minor.

Since Andy has been here the Chiefs have been picking in the 20s they are also having several draft picks. Do you really believe that they can't package some lower picks to get back into the forst round next year if they really want to?

Smith is good enough to get the Chiefs to a SB, will he is the question? Preparing your team by making a bold pickup is a way to help.

What in the holy hell are you babbling about?

There's a huge difference between pre-snap reads and post-snap reads. And who is to say that Smith's pre-snap read wasn't the correct one? Certainly not you.

I'm fairly certain he chose the wrong one because that's a favorable look from the start.

Tyreek without multiple Defenders vs a subpar secondary is very favorable.

I'm fairly certain he chose the wrong one because that's a favorable look from the start.

Tyreek without multiple Defenders vs a subpar secondary is very favorable.

Smith was apparently supposed to recognize from pre-snap alignment that a Steeler was going to miss his assignment. Who would you recommend from the rest of the league as a quarterback capable of seeing into the future?

The film is there, but you simply won't accept what the film showed in the context of the quarterback's statement about the play.

Smith was apparently supposed to recognize from pre-snap alignment that a Steeler was going to miss his assignment. Who would you recommend from the rest of the league as a quarterback capable of seeing into the future?

The film is there, but you simply won't accept what the film showed in the context of the quarterback's statement about the play.

No, stop being ignorant. Alex Smith should of absolutely noticed a very favorable mismatch from the pre-snap read.

Only a total dipshit couldn't recognize that was single coverage at best which is gonna be beat 90% of the time.

Alex Smith sucks

Archived