Mahomes vs Tyler Bray

I wonder how many of this QBs were developed in the #2 spot so they could dress and be on the sidelines.

You may be right, but I would be shocked if Mahomes is not on the sidelines. Even if they have to dress 3 QBs.

I'd be shocked, also.  That's a good point.  He needs to come in there on occasion on clean up duty, and he needs to be actually calling in the plays now and then.  He needs to discuss and consult with Smith the entire prior sequence, strategy, and the upcoming possession while the defense is on the field.  He needs to be out there.  For the future, it would be worth the use of the active roster spot. What would be really exciting would be to see him brought in for a crucial two-minute drill at least once during the season.  I suppose he would be called #2 if he did that.  But they need to get rid of Bray and sign an old veteran for one year.

I still would not be surprised if they signed Vick for that.  Two years is not that big of a deal to have not played, especially for the less physically demanding QB position.  If Brady can play at 42, Vick can play at 37.  He has met and observed the tools on offense, taught the QB's and learned Reid's system for a couple of months, and I suspect that it could be also preparation for HIM to play that old veteran back up role.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After moving up 17 spots to the top 10 in the 1st round, Mahomes should be vying for a starting spot not standing on the sidelines with a clipboard while we bring in a retread at #2. QBs drafted in the top third start....often.

That is an out of date mindset. Most of those that start from the get go do so out of necessity. The Chiefs are not hurting at the QB position, you may not like Smith but he is competent enough to take this team to a SB and at worst keep this team competitive.

That is an out of date mindset. Most of those that start from the get go do so out of necessity. The Chiefs are not hurting at the QB position, you may not like Smith but he is competent enough to take this team to a SB and at worst keep this team competitive.

Agreed

Who doesn't know that it was the plan all along for Mahomes to sit at least a year and learn? To wail about the fact Mahomes should be vying for the starting job at this point is fruitless. He has a much steeper hill to climb but Reid and Nagy both say he is a hard worker and has a sharp mind. I believe he will be ready to roll in 2018. Can't wait.

Archived