Alex Smith Extended

Chiefs agreed to terms with QB Alex Smith on a four-year, $68 million extension through 2018.

Because Smith was owed $8 million in 2014, the deal is actually worth $76 million over five seasons -- a $15.2 million annual average -- with $45 million guaranteed. If you treat Andy Dalton's Bengals deal similarly, Smith is collecting roughly $1.3 million more per year, but is still well south of Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco money. Even with Smith's passing limitations considered, this seems like a fair deal for both sides. The Chiefs will continue to lean heavily on running back Jamaal Charles and a talented defensive front seven to carry them in games. Smith seemed to grow as a quarterback over the course of his first season under Andy Reid, posting career highs in passing touchdowns (23) and rushing (76-431-1). He's a low-ceiling QB2 in fantasy leagues and will probably remain that way for the rest of his career.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big mistake

How dare you question this!!! You should know there is a master plan to build a contender, in fact we're only two...three...maybe even four seasons away. You call yourself a chiefs fan?

Yikes, way too much for a qb that hasn't proven shit. Yet again, another Chiefs pipe dream and flash in the pan season last year was.

Chiefs agreed to terms with QB Alex Smith on a four-year, $68 million extension through 2018.

Because Smith was owed $8 million in 2014, the deal is actually worth $76 million over five seasons -- a $15.2 million annual average -- with $45 million guaranteed. If you treat Andy Dalton's Bengals deal similarly, Smith is collecting roughly $1.3 million more per year, but is still well south of Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco money. Even with Smith's passing limitations considered, this seems like a fair deal for both sides. The Chiefs will continue to lean heavily on running back Jamaal Charles and a talented defensive front seven to carry them in games. Smith seemed to grow as a quarterback over the course of his first season under Andy Reid, posting career highs in passing touchdowns (23) and rushing (76-431-1). He's a low-ceiling QB2 in fantasy leagues and will probably remain that way for the rest of his career.

Exactly who is he going to pass the ball too? And what happens if JC goes down? Does anyone really think that he's gonna make it an entire season without injury bc if a piss poor o line? Sheesh....

He was cut. We can make it happen.

I probably just don't understand how it works to be honest. But let's say we sign someone...wouldn't it be something for a one-two year deal? What happens after that, we are so strapped for cash, especially with trying to sign Houston.

He was cut. We can make it happen.

I probably just don't understand how it works to be honest. But let's say we sign someone...wouldn't it be something for a one-two year deal? What happens after that, we are so strapped for cash, especially with trying to sign Houston.

Big mistake

Your disapproval was my litmus test on whether there was a commitment or not. I just knew when he signed people would either say, "good, this is really just a (one) year-to-year deal" or "it's too much!" Saying big mistake shows it is at least somewhere in the middle.

Smith said he wanted a deal he could play out, and while they could walk away in 2-3 years, he has a better chance to do so then a backloaded 7 year deal. He can and will have to prove himself in the next 4 years (sooner the better) to earn another.

it is what it is..if he played lights out and had a pro bowl quality TD- INT ratio he'd be unaffordable. Everything is a risk but its not a long term risk. He is cutable in 2 years.

I'm probably just better off not posting about football for a while. My two beloved football teams are potentially the worse in their respective leagues. Between the Chiefs and CU football, I'm just constantly disappointed.

Go ahead, point and laugh...

it is what it is..if he played lights out and had a pro bowl quality TD- INT ratio he'd be unaffordable. Everything is a risk but its not a long term risk. He is cutable in 2 years.

Aren't you tired of making excuses for settling for second best?  Wouldn't it be great if once, the Chiefs had the best QB in the NFL instead of one who might be okay if the barometer hits the right setting?

Pioli hitched his wagon to Cassel and now Dorsey to Smith. I hope that Dorsey realizes his choices thus far have been less than steller. He needs to hit a homerun or he'll be gone with Alex Smith & Reid.

Hopefully the song does not remain the same. Its like a scratch on an old record ..same verse over & over & over & over.

Your disapproval was my litmus test on whether there was a commitment or not. I just knew when he signed people would either say, "good, this is really just a (one) year-to-year deal" or "it's too much!" Saying big mistake shows it is at least somewhere in the middle.

Smith said he wanted a deal he could play out, and while they could walk away in 2-3 years, he has a better chance to do so then a backloaded 7 year deal. He can and will have to prove himself in the next 4 years (sooner the better) to earn another.

They got him at a good price.  I thought they shouldn't be in a rush because Alex Smith hasn't accomplished jack in the NFL in his career.

Aren't you tired of making excuses for settling for second best?  Wouldn't it be great if once, the Chiefs had the best QB in the NFL instead of one who might be okay if the barometer hits the right setting?

yea it would be great but you got to be 2nd best before you are the best.. the best option is not available. The Chiefs in typical fashion sucked a year too late. I'm not making excuses because I am not the decision maker. Iam just a fan of 50  years that has to love them or leave them.. I choose to Love them,

Mongo we are not that much different but I have one advantage over you.. Iam no longer a part of a $10,000  a year stream going into a Hunt's pocket book so it is easier for me to look at the glass 1/2 full.

The chiefs and the NFL have become like NASCAR to me... I'll watch it if there is nothing better to do but as each year goes on it is easier to find something better to do...like mow the yard,

Go ahead get bent out of shape .. I dont feel your pain anymore.

yea it would be great but you got to be 2nd best before you are the best.. the best option is not available. The Chiefs in typical fashion sucked a year too late. I'm not making excuses because I am not the decision maker. Iam just a fan of 50  years that has to love them or leave them.. I choose to Love them,

Mongo we are not that much different but I have one advantage over you.. Iam no longer a part of a $10,000  a year stream going into a Hunt's pocket book so it is easier for me to look at the glass 1/2 full.

The chiefs and the NFL have become like NASCAR to me... I'll watch it if there is nothing better to do but as each year goes on it is easier to find something better to do...like mow the yard,

Go ahead get bent out of shape .. I dont feel your pain anymore.

I don't believe you.  You wouldn't be posting here anymore had you divorced yourself from your passion for the Chiefs.  You wish you could.  You know it would be best.  The lawn could stand a little more attention.  You are hopelessly hooked and the tone of your posts proves it.

while not estactic..I'm not pissed either..

I believe in smith and reid..think they are made for one another...

as mongo said it'll be dorseys ass in the long run..

and would have to tank big time not to have another 3-5 yrs.

Here's my take for the day when thinking about it. Someone said that the Chiefs can walk away after the third year (this year plus 2 of the extended years). I have been a Chief fan since I was a kid and a Smith fan since he was in Utah (I went a semester there before going to USC, my parents graduated from Utah's med school).

Normally, as a fan of Smith's and Chiefs, I would be conflicted by the only three years part of it, but I'm not. The reason is, three years plus last year is plenty of time for Smith to put up or shut up and I trust Reid and Dorsey. Some will say the prior 8 years were enough time, touché - but one added element - he's also in the best situation of his career. Nine years is long enough to show most, if not all, of what you can do. But four more, no doubt. When he was in SF, I felt that the constant OC changes and incompetent defensive minded coaches hindered him a bit and that the organization was always looking for someone else (after the first year until the shoulder injury). Then, I thought Harbaugh was too conservative, too run heavy for Smith to show anything beyond not being the problem.

Here, he has a more pass-happy coach, competent, same OC, same players, and he has the experience he didn't have in 2005. If, after these three guaranteed years, he doesn't show it enough to go into years 4 and 5, there are no excuses. No lamentations from me.

Aaaah, its not the end of the world.  If they can build a SF-like team around him, he'll be fine.  If...  

PS:  Picking from trash cans for Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins and Kurt Coleman are not moves in the intended direction.

Archived