Alex Smith Extended

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aaaah, its not the end of the world.  If they can build a SF-like team around him, he'll be fine.  If...  

PS:  Picking from trash cans for Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins and Kurt Coleman are not moves in the intended direction.

Well they did try to land Emanuel Sanders.  Kinda hard to entice a WR who can go play with the current GOAT and defending AFC conference champs.  

Well they did try to land Emanuel Sanders. Kinda hard to entice a WR who can go play with the current GOAT and defending AFC conference champs.

Excuses excuses and more excuses. We had him in KC and we should have gotten a deal done. Typical Chiefs fashion, swing and a miss.

Excuses excuses and more excuses. We had him in KC and we should have gotten a deal done. Typical Chiefs fashion, swing and a miss.

He agreed to a deal. Were we supposed to up the deal after he said yes? If that deal was good, should we have offered to overpay? From what cap? If it's a he said she said, I'm believing our side without evidence to the contrary.

I got no problem with Smith. I got no problem with the deal. Who else are you going to sign?

We need a QB who can run from pressure. It's a good fit. If Brady or Manning or Brees become available, let me know.

Dalton, Romo, Flacco? We just can't block for those guys and I am not convinced they are better.

More like KC being used for bargaining leverage time and time again.  Always a bridesmaid...

Anyone paying attention know that this was probably going to happen. On the bright side it could have been a Cutler-type of a deal. As it is, they can cut him in a couple of years if someone else (Murray, Bray, ???) is ready to play.

The problem with this is they will not make a significant investment in another QB to compete with him.  So unless late round potlucks like Bray, Murray or the next one turn into a miracle, we are stuck with Al.  If (when?) we discover in three years he is not the answer, what then?  

apologies  if a repost...heres the Numbers on A's contract...

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2014/9/2/6098865/alex-smiths-contract-salary-cap-hit-kansas-city-chiefs..

Alex Smith's contract details with Kansas City Chiefs are out

By Joel Thorman @JoelThorman on Sep 2 2014, 4:49p 332

454204506.0_standard_709.0.jpg
Jamie Squire

The real numbers on Alex Smith's deal are close to as advertised.

Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports has some numbers on Alex Smith's contract with the Kansas City Chiefs. Smith was working in the final year of his contract set to pay him $7.5 million in 2014.

Let's take a look at the changes.

The money

Signing bonus: $18 million

2014: $1 million 

2015: $11.9 million

2016: $14.1 million

2017: $10.2 million (+ $2 million roster bonus)

2018: $14.5 million (+ $2 million roster bonus)

The guaranteed money

The $18 million signing bonus and $1 million 2014 salary is fully guaranteed.

If he is on the roster on the third day of the 2015 league year (next March - very likely), his 2015 and 2016 salaries totaling $26 million become fully guaranteed, according to La Canfora's report.

Those figures total the reported $45 million guaranteed and his three-year pay-out. You hear people talk about the three year pay-out because NFL contracts aren't real contracts and teams will just cut players with few penalties in the back end of contracts.

The cap hit

Let's preface this with I am not a salary cap expert so I'm just going off the numbers reported here.

Smith's previous cap number was $8 million. If the signing bonus pro-rates over the life of the deal ($3.6 million per year) and you add in his 2014 salary ($1 million) that comes out to a $4.6 million cap hit this year, which actually saves the Chiefs money against the cap. Funny how contracts work, huh?

How long are the Chiefs tied to Smith?

The way I read this, Smith is solidly tied to the Chiefs three more years through the 2016 season. It's very likely he's going to be on the roster next March, which would trigger guarantees in 2015 and 2016. Smith turned 30 last May.

It's interesting that his base salary drops in that fourth year. If he's playing well, that looks like a reasonable figure to pay.

Note: Here is another good breakdown of the contract.

small_arrowheadpride.com.minimal.png More from Arrowhead Pride
SB Nation Featured Video

The problem with this is they will not make a significant investment in another QB to compete with him. So unless late round potlucks like Bray, Murray or the next one turn into a miracle, we are stuck with Al. If (when?) we discover in three years he is not the answer, what then?

I'm sure you will still be here to tell us how shitty the organization is and the guy they drafted or got via free agency sucks ass, then as well. :-)

The Chiefs actually save $3.6 M of cap money by extending Alex Smith. The bigger issue is in 2015, where they currently only have $5 M under their cap. If the Chiefs cannot get Tamba Hali to rework his final year, then they may feel compelled to cut him Such a move would save $9 M in Cap relief.  The Chiefs are about $5 M under their cap. They can use that money this year. However, they may intend to not spend the money. If so, they may be able to roll those dollars over to the 2015 season. Besides signing free agents, and draft picks, the Chiefs may want to do something about Houston's contract, since he would become a free agent in 2015. 

I like how the deal is structured. It saves money this year. If something bad happens this year like injury or underperformance, they can escape from the base salary of 2015.

Of course, 14.4 million of dead weight cap-wise split over 4 more years isn't entirely positive but it's not debilitating (18 - 1/5 of the signing bonus). For Smith, as long as he stays healthy and performs somewhere at or above last year, it's *almost* a lock that they decide the 14.4 million in cap costs wasted to cut him is worse than the 11.9 base to keep him. Of course, keeping him is the 11.9 and the 14.1 the next year. I assume they'd still start him for 2016 if they made the decision to move on in 2017. But it's something.

The trigger is for two years if they keep him beyond the 3rd day of the new league year. This gives him more than just that year, so it's not a pay-as-you-go year-by-year. There's some commitment. Of course, it makes the decision to keep going a bigger one. Either way, he's there for two more or he's released really early in the league year to seek a starting position while he's still 30 years old and before commitments from other teams are made to other QBs. This decision is also before the draft so they would either be picking for the future (beyond 2 years) or committing enough not to choose a QB who is going to start right away if they keep him beyond the trigger date. Of course, trade is always a possibility and if so, he gets his money either way.

Then, the year after those two years, his cap is only 10 million. That favors him, as it is not some ballooned cap hit pushing for release. The cap hit would be 7.2 to release or 10 million to keep. The next year, the cap hit goes up to 16.5 million with only 3.6 to cut, but if he's worth keeping, they may extend and lower that year's hit a little bit. Win-win.

And to be clear, when I say win-win, I'm talking about the contract. If they go beyond the trigger date and you don't think they should, then the decision to keep him is a loss, not the contract, in my opinion. The contract is a good and fair structure with some decisions for Dorsey/Reid to make that gives Smith time if they do move on.

Mongo, could you be anymore depressing? Maybe you should move on. Find a team where every move is not a bad one.

Everyone deals with misery in their own way.  This is known as "pre-emption" strategy.  Mongo wants to win a championship (as if that is the ONLY purpose of playing or watching football).  Not having won one is misery.  So, in this strategy, you decide you are already miserable about it and try to make everyone just as miserable, as if that will save you the dissapointment.  We all have our own little adaptations and neuroses, and being a fan of something is almost guaranteed to bring them out.  As for me, the Chiefs are a source of interest and fun, and the times they are in contention for a title are a total gas, absolutely worth all the years of frustration in-between.  But that's just me.  Just watching humans compete at this level of skill and power is inspiring to me.

Archived