Biggest Weaknesses

I'd like to see everyone's opinion on what our greatest vulnerabilities are on the team at present.  Two things that jump out at me are:

1) No clear solid #2 CB.

2) Insufficient depth at LT

I think we may have the answer to the first question already on the roster, but not certain.  If not, it would be the highest priority.  The other question troubles me more.  If Eric Fisher were to go down, who is there who could consistently protect the QB on that side.  An injury to Fisher, and our whole season is in jeopardy.  I would like to see that become priority #1 in next year's draft.  I don't know when his contract starts becoming an issue, but a championship team HAS to have a high quality LT for the foreseeable future, especially with a talented young QB who will become our starter as early as next year.

i would say, if Fisher were to go down, Schwartz would probably move to that spot, and we would need a right tackle.  Just my guess.

Does Schwartz have LT experience other than a rare temporary fill-in?  I know that Jah Reid has played some barely adequate RT at times.

I think a major weakness continues to be the OL. Like Bil said the depth is insufficient. Our LG position is still a glaring issue and this group struggled creating holes for our RBs last year. Pass protection is adequate.

The defense, though stars at every position, needs to prove they can stop the run. Gaines starting at CB #2 worries me with Mitchell hurt. The D line needs to step up big this year to solidify this stacked defense and help the secondary.

I think a major weakness continues to be the OL. Like Bil said the depth is insufficient. Our LG position is still a glaring issue and this group struggled creating holes for our RBs last year. Pass protection is adequate.

The defense, though stars at every position, needs to prove they can stop the run. Gaines starting at CB #2 worries me with Mitchell hurt. The D line needs to step up big this year to solidify this stacked defense and help the secondary.

Guard is a question, but not really terrible.  Ehinger won the LG spot last year and is back practicing.  Fulton can slide to either guard spot or center with some modicum of credibility which really helps, because he is versatile. Might be slowly getting better, too.   But OT is really lacking in sufficient depth.  We have to really cross our fingers that Schwartz or Fisher don't get hurt. I am more worried about that lack of depth than anything.  I would like to see us pick up an old veteran OT for one year before the regular season starts and then draft high for an OT next winter.

Gaines had a bad night Saturday. He was there for most of the time but he could not m a key a play. Looked bad

He's finished.

Here's what I see on the line:

RT - Schwartz is a top 5 Right Tackle.  They good.

RG - Frenchy is ok.

C - Morse is a top 10 caliber Center.  They're fine here

LG - eh

LT - Fisher is mediocre

The Chiefs are stuck with Fisher for realistically another 2 years and I think he's a real hindrance on the overall O-Line.  LG can be fixed if Ehringer can rebound and improve.

He's finished.

Here's what I see on the line:

RT - Schwartz is a top 5 Right Tackle.  They good.

RG - Frenchy is ok.

C - Morse is a top 10 caliber Center.  They're fine here

LG - eh

LT - Fisher is mediocre

The Chiefs are stuck with Fisher for realistically another 2 years and I think he's a real hindrance on the overall O-Line.  LG can be fixed if Ehringer can rebound and improve.

Heard Grunny yesterday I couldn't hear it all but  I got the impression that his rehab is not going well.

After reading more, it seems to all fit.  Being taken off the PUP list and being allowed to practice is a GOOD sign.  An ACL repair takes about a year, to fully heal, and he suffered the injury in week 8.  To be in a position to practice and take a roster spot would indicate that either 1) he is ahead of schedule, or 2) that their options at LG as so poor that they have to hope he is ready to start by mid season.  From what I understand about these injuries, he may not be 100% for a good while, so they have to be extremely careful.  The fact that the O-line is so young and that they now have more experience and more continuity together is a positive sign.  I just have to trust that the front office is fairly confident, or they would have been looking at more help there.  With cut-downs coming, It could be that some of the young guys who look great but are on the bubble and who are a danger to lose if put on the practice squad could be packaged very soon in a deal for an experienced run-blocking left guard.

I think I might be the only subject of Chiefs Kingdom that is not concerned with WR. We have talented, hard-working, and well-coached guys with a diverse skill set. Our QB just has to stop being a pussy and chuck it. If not, #15 will.

I think I might be the only subject of Chiefs Kingdom that is not concerned with WR. We have talented, hard-working, and well-coached guys with a diverse skill set. Our QB just has to stop being a pussy and chuck it. If not, #15 will.

Yep.

Phatal in 3-2-1...

Good to hear from you, Gil

Our biggest weakness is apparently internet speed delays leading to false start penalties for double posts.....

...okay, okay- just messing with ya bilster.

w

You mean the double thread?  I have no idea how that happened. All of a sudden there were two threads with the same name, but it wasn't until a couple of days later.  Very strange.

Archived