Biggest Weaknesses

Guard is a question, but not really terrible.  Ehinger won the LG spot last year and is back practicing.  Fulton can slide to either guard spot or center with some modicum of credibility which really helps, because he is versatile. Might be slowly getting better, too.   But OT is really lacking in sufficient depth.  We have to really cross our fingers that Schwartz or Fisher don't get hurt. I am more worried about that lack of depth than anything.  I would like to see us pick up an old veteran OT for one year before the regular season starts and then draft high for an OT next winter.

Bryan Witzmann is in the running for LG too. From what I hear they seem to like him

Teams will consistently run it to Dee Ford's side. That's a big weakness we need to address before NE runs over us.

I agree. Ford blows up the field way wide of the QB then they just run underneath him. Zambo isn't an NFL LB. Okine was on roller skates on a few running plays.

I agree. Ford blows up the field way wide of the QB then they just run underneath him. Zambo isn't an NFL LB. Okine was on roller skates on a few running plays.

I'm still not sold on Ford being an every down backer. Situational pass rusher, yes. T-Pass had the flu tonight as well didnt see him.

We never make press but we made ESPN website. "Chiefs ugly loss to Seahawks " lol

Preseason

Well that was the tuneup game by the 1's for the regular season? I agree that wins and losses mean little in preseason. But to play like hot garbage? I don't recall us looking that bad last year in preseason.

i have said it for the past few seasons, why is albert wilson on this team...he really is not that good at all. Right now i would keep chesson over him

I've been asking myself the same thing for three years. I don't understand it. There have been dozens of guys cut who have been better than him the last couple of years.

Well that was the tuneup game by the 1's for the regular season? I agree that wins and losses mean little in preseason. But to play like hot garbage? I don't recall us looking that bad last year in preseason.

No doubt. They sucked.

How many passes went to wide receivers in the first half?   How many did they hold onto.   What is Albert Wilson still doing on this team?  How much has Cris Conley contributed to the offense?   Will Tyreek Hill suffer a sophomore slump?

This is a big area of concern.  They were practically invisible when the first team was in.   When they weren't dropping passes.

I wonder if the time zone change made their concentration and accuracy suffer, including various penalties.  It is much more difficult to travel west than east.  Alex had one of his maddening inaccurate games, where even the catchable throws were slightly difficult to catch, not perfectly placed.  Some were just plain highly inaccurate shitty throws.  When they came in to the receivers, they were often like bullets, having been thrown on a rope because of the pressure Alex was feeling to get rid of the ball quickly.  Kelce's drop and Hill's looked like that.  Timing was also bad on the routes.

In contrast, Seattle consistently had all day to throw.  Our pass pressure was virtually non-existent until Chris Jones' sack.  My biggest worry was Dee Ford.  Not only did he not get pressure, but he was terrible in coverage and against the run.  No one tested his edge, but they sure beat us to the edge on the side opposite Ford, so they respected his speed at least.  Granted, with Berry there, the need in coverage would have been not so bad.  If Houston had been there, Ford would have gotten less attention by them in pass protection.  I still think we will have good pressure against even good offenses, once we have Houston, Ford, Jones, and maybe occasionally KPass in at the same time. 

So, a lot of old concerns - Ford's limitations, Alex Smith's passing limitations and "bad days," poor pass protection by our guards and by running backs, stupid penalties.  Weakness at OG.

On the good side, defense was still strong despite some major missing pieces, really good coverage by corners in man-to-man, including the very young guys,  Kareem Hunt looked very good, which takes away some of the worry about Ware's injury, Mahomes looked cool and collected and willing to hang in there and take a hit in order to get a nice pass off, as well as his ability to throw on the run.  He also impressed me with some very Alex Smith-like decisions on when not to throw to avoid interceptions, when to throw the ball away, smart decisions that save turnovers that are more advanced than usually seen in rookie QB's (especially those with gunslinger reputations.)  He is obviously learning a lot from Smith, which is why it is so important for him to remain #2 this year.  Mahomes also looks more stout and muscled than Smith and less fragile. When running, he needs to slide better before getting hit, namely with his head closer to the ground.  His head is still too high when sliding. But what he lacks in speed compared to Alex, he makes up for in his stoutness.  He really looks sturdy.

How many passes went to wide receivers in the first half? How many did they hold onto. What is Albert Wilson still doing on this team? How much has Cris Conley contributed to the offense? Will Tyreek Hill suffer a sophomore slump?

This is a big area of concern. They were practically invisible when the first team was in. When they weren't dropping passes.

Speed doesn't slump. Hill will be a star

Archived