Newest Chief

810 has a Buffalo guy on ..says ACL rehab is not coming along as quickly  as needed and does not fit into new scheme..strictly a 3-4 ILB Rex Ryan picked him.. Buff now runs a 4-3

guess that means the chiefs feel differently and not much risk giving up a 4th for a guy who is still basically a rookie

Eh

The Chiefs could of signed the guy that rook his job for league min

I'm trying to figure out how you lose a job when you never played a down due to injury?..no one "took" his  job unless your talking this year  but thats not right because he's strictly a 3-4 ILB and the Bills now play a 4-3 aned he's still injured....explain  please?

this move is all about next year making Cap space by letting DJ go and having young talent we traded a 97 +/- pick for a 41st pick player..unless his rehab flops I'm having a real hard time thinking how this is a bad move.

I'm trying to figure out how you lose a job when you never played a down due to injury?..no one "took" his  job unless your talking this year  but thats not right because he's strictly a 3-4 ILB and the Bills now play a 4-3 aned he's still injured....explain  please?

this move is all about next year making Cap space by letting DJ go and having young talent we traded a 97 +/- pick for a 41st pick player..unless his rehab flops I'm having a real hard time thinking how this is a bad move.

High picks, especially in a place like Buffalo, are usually slotted as starters.

Ragland was slotted as a starter and worked offseason like one. The Bills didn't like what they saw, picked up Gerald Hodges and he took the job.

Depending on the condition to the trade, there may not be a downside to this so whatever...but I don't know why they didn't just sign Hodges himself for league min.

Chiefs GM Brett Veach continues LB search, trades for Reggie Ragland

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Only time will tell whether Reggie Ragland will be the solution to the Kansas City Chiefs' effort to find a suitable player to pair with veteran Derrick Johnson at inside linebacker.

But at this point it's hard to fault their effort at a most difficult time of year for this sort of thing. Since Brett Veach was hired as general manager in July, the Chiefs have re-signed one of their former starters, Josh Mauga. They traded with the Seattle Seahawks for another veteran, Kevin Pierre-Louis.

Now they sent their fourth-round pick in 2019 to the Bills for Ragland, Buffalo's second-round pick last year.

This all amounts to a positive sign for the Chiefs regarding their new general manager. He's throwing available resources, within reason, at a spot they viewed as a problem.

The Chiefs through most of training camp and the preseason have gone with last year's starter, Ramik Wilson. But the Chiefs, who had one of the NFL's leakiest run defenses last season, felt they could do better.

Not all of the moves are going to work out. Mauga is gone, having been released to clear roster room for Ragland. Pierre-Louis is still running as a backup to Johnson and Wilson, but has been a special-teams standout.

Ragland, the SEC defensive player of the year in 2015 in his final season at Alabama, gives Veach and the Chiefs the best chance yet to fix the problem. He tore an ACL last year in training camp and this year was a victim of Buffalo's move from a 3-4 defensive system to a 4-3.

He should be a better fit with the Chiefs, who not only are looking for an inside linebacker to pair with Johnson this season, but one to eventually replace him as an every-down player. Johnson turns 35 in November.

This all makes this deal for Ragland a good use of their 2019 fourth-round pick, whether it works out in their favor or not.

They brought him in to be the thumper.  A two-down LB that will lay the wood to Marshawn Lynch when he comes up the gut. Or any other RB for that matter.  Also, take on blocks and allow DJ to do what he do.  They have a specific roll for him to fill, and if he can stay healthy, he should be more than able.

It's interesting that I actually saw a couple of articles in the past few weeks, referring to this as a trade that "should happen."  Never thought it would.

A 2019 fourth-rounder?  Has a huge amount of upside if it works out.  If not, I don't see it as that big of a loss.

Archived