Kansas City Chiefs just cut CJ Spiller ... again

So, what is going on? What in the world is going on? The Kansas City Chiefs cut RB CJ Spiller. This news comes directly from the Chiefs, who made the announcement via Twitter.

The Chiefs cut Spiller on roster cut weekend but then re-signed him after they put CB Steven Nelson on injured reserve.

I’m not sure if Spiller’s salary became guaranteed on Tuesday or if cutting him before the game means his Week 1 salary isn’t guaranteed. That’s notable because if you’re not on the Week 1 roster, your salary is not guaranteed.

What we do know is that Spiller won’t be playing in this game and neither will Jordan Devey, who was the Chiefs ninth offensive lineman. It always seemed like he was the 53rd man on the roster.

The Chiefs did sign RB Akeem Hunt to the practice squad recently. I’m not sure what the rules are on how late you can bring someone up from the practice squad. There’s a lot I’m not sure about here.

More to come..

I hope this isn't due to inexperienced GM

rather learn now than later when it may cost Millions..cough cough Dorsey/Tamba or a year late on Berry/Houston..pretty small potatoes really. Dorsey evidently did not learn much with the Bowe fiasco.

but yea I hope that was just a rookie mistake. I thin Spiller  tonight would of been good $$ spent  tho

I don't think hunk we lost much with Spiller. West has more tools and I am not crazy about him. But I would take West over Spiller any day of the week.

I would say they are considering bringing Hunt up from the PS next week or they have been in talks with a FA. Just a guess.

Interesting read on the Spiller cut by the Star. Nelson (who was the cut that brought Spiller back) can only come back after week 6 if their is a spot reserved for him on the 53.

Maybe they found out he can be back by week 8 and went for it. That sounds like a solid move to be a force in December.

Archived