No it's not. They've already stacked all the chips on his replacement. Letting him continue somewhere else vs riding the bench would be ridiculous.

The smart teams let go before it's too late. Watch as Belichick cuts Brady and hands the keys to Jimmy in the Spring.

SF was collapsing regardless of the QB.

They are still reeling from letting Harbaugh go and they blew a massive cache of draft picks.

The real architect built up the Redskins and now they're about to learn that lesson because the President of the team had a gigantic ego.

The 49ers were trending downward from 2013 onward. The 49ers aren't a bad team because they let Harbaugh go. They're where they're at because they let Harbaugh put his ego ahead of the best interests of the team. I'm sure you're not going to argue against the notion that the veterans were not OK with Smith being benched after missing a week-and-a-half due to the concussion protocol. Smith rode the bench one start separated from a NFC Offensive Player of the Week award, and one lateral attempt approximately three degrees away from being ruled a forward pass was the difference in Smith not being awarded the all-time single-game completion percentage record.

The 49ers' meteoric rise in 2011 was due to a talented roster finally starting a season with a staff capable of quality offensive and defensive scheming. The 49ers' collapse began prior to the 2014 season, and the dumpster fire grew hotter with every start by premiere athlete and non-quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Once the team stopped building around a throwing runningback, they were able to build a real future in a league that demands a quarterback under center, and not merely an athlete. By virtue of not having Colin Kaepernick on the roster, the 49ers are trending upward.

As for New England, who knows how Tom Brady's career ends there. If I was Bob Kraft, I'd take a careful look at my financials and weigh how important it is to me to be profitable, and how important it is to me to have a 'toy' to watch during Autumn Sundays. If my motive was primarily financial, I'd sell the team before Bill Belichick and Tom Brady ride off into the sunset. There is virtually no chance that Jimmy Garoppolo duplicates Tom Brady's success, and it is fairly unlikely that he ever wins a Super Bowl ring. The legend of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are a huge part of what gives the Patriots its present value.

You've presented a weak justification for starting Mahomes instead of Smith. Now would be an appropriate time to do a little research on sunk costs. Until Mahomes proves that he deserves to be the future quarterback for the Chiefs, he shouldn't be getting starts. To do otherwise would only invite to Kansas City with open arms the same disaster that has already devastated San Francisco.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 49ers were trending downward from 2013 onward. The 49ers aren't a bad team because they let Harbaugh go. They're where they're at because they let Harbaugh put his ego ahead of the best interests of the team. I'm sure you're not going to argue against the notion that the veterans were not OK with Smith being benched after missing a week-and-a-half due to the concussion protocol. Smith rode the bench one start separated from a NFC Offensive Player of the Week award, and one lateral attempt approximately three degrees away from being ruled a forward pass was the difference in Smith not being awarded the all-time single-game completion percentage record.

The 49ers' meteoric rise in 2011 was due to a talented roster finally starting a season with a staff capable of quality offensive and defensive scheming. The 49ers' collapse began prior to the 2014 season, and the dumpster fire grew hotter with every start by premiere athlete and non-quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Once the team stopped building around a throwing runningback, they were able to build a real future in a league that demands a quarterback under center, and not merely an athlete. By virtue of not having Colin Kaepernick on the roster, the 49ers are trending upward.

As for New England, who knows how Tom Brady's career ends there. If I was Bob Kraft, I'd take a careful look at my financials and weigh how important it is to me to be profitable, and how important it is to me to have a 'toy' to watch during Autumn Sundays. If my motive was primarily financial, I'd sell the team before Bill Belichick and Tom Brady ride off into the sunset. There is virtually no chance that Jimmy Garoppolo duplicates Tom Brady's success, and it is fairly unlikely that he ever wins a Super Bowl ring. The legend of Tom Brady and Bill Belichick are a huge part of what gives the Patriots its present value.

You've presented a weak justification for starting Mahomes instead of Smith. Now would be an appropriate time to do a little research on sunk costs. Until Mahomes proves that he deserves to be the future quarterback for the Chiefs, he shouldn't be getting starts. To do otherwise would only invite to Kansas City with open arms the same disaster that has already devastated San Francisco.

Mahomes has already played pretty dang close to Alex while being incredibly raw.

His arrow is pointing up while Alex's is trending downward. Nothing on Alex personally as that's what happens when you get old. Even Alex knows the writing on the wall.

And finally, I don't give a shit what happened to your stupid franchise because the Chiefs aren't on the verge of hiring a pizza delivery guy to be the Head Coach.

The Chiefs addressed the thing that everyone, but you, has seen and are giving Alex one last go of it. This is it, just accept it and move on already.

His arrow is pointing up while Alex's is trending downward. Nothing on Alex personally as that's what happens when you get old. Even Alex knows the writing on the wall.

Alex isn't showing his age yet.  Maybe he runs a little less but that's probably more due the the concussion threat than age.  Although we could never prove it, Mahomes probably would not have beaten NE last week and is less likely to beat the Eagles this Sunday.  We all want to see him play and see him progress, but I'm not willing to sacrifice this season just to gain experience for him.  Nothing wrong with bringing him along slowly, especially when a winning QB is already there.

Alex isn't showing his age yet.  Maybe he runs a little less but that's probably more due the the concussion threat than age.  Although we could never prove it, Mahomes probably would not have beaten NE last week and is less likely to beat the Eagles this Sunday.  We all want to see him play and see him progress, but I'm not willing to sacrifice this season just to gain experience for him.  Nothing wrong with bringing him along slowly, especially when a winning QB is already there.

Saying Mahomes wouldn't win this game or that is absurd because you have no idea, but I'm not going to disagree with the rest.

I said earlier that Mahomes should sit for awhile, but he's not sitting for an Aaron Rodgers period.

Saying Mahomes wouldn't win this game or that is absurd because you have no idea, but I'm not going to disagree with the rest.

I said earlier that Mahomes should sit for awhile, but he's not sitting for an Aaron Rodgers period.

no its not its a pretty solid guess.Jet should of said "More than likely" or "chances are"  but who cares and its a far cry from being "absurd"..lighten up.

That being said I guess next year we are willing to sacrifice a season to gain him experience? Its something Chiefs fans have not experienced in many many years I am curious to see how they/we react.

no its not its a pretty solid guess.Jet should of said "More than likely" or "chances are"  but who cares and its a far cry from being "absurd"..lighten up.

That being said I guess next year we are willing to sacrifice a season to gain him experience? Its something Chiefs fans have not experienced in many many years I am curious to see how they/we react.

It's really a guess based off nothing. A rookie, sure but he's also shown he can still put points on the board.

I don't know either way so I wouldn't commit one way or another.

And people are gonna go insane when Mahomes loses his first game. People gotta remember that you gotta be willing to lose the game to be in position to win it in big moments and sometimes he's gonna lose. Especially early on lol

no its not its a pretty solid guess.Jet should of said "More than likely" or "chances are" but who cares and its a far cry from being "absurd"..lighten up.

He's anti Smith and will always work towards getting rid of him no matter what.

If Smith had gotten knocked out in the first quarter in a scoreless game against the Patriots, Mahomes had finished the game, and the Chiefs had won, I'm pretty certain that you would have said something like:

Smith probably would not have beaten NE last week

You also probably would have left out the "Although we could never prove it" part.

You're so stuck on your opinion about Smith that a week after his offense put up 6 touchdowns despite a negative turnover differential, you say:

Mahomes has already played pretty dang close to Alex while being incredibly raw.

His arrow is pointing up while Alex's is trending downward.

Ridiculous. There's no arrow for Mahomes until he plays a complete game in the regular season against a team representative of what the Chiefs will play against in the post-season.

It's been one game. Hope Smith continues this way. If not, Mahomes will be right there. I like our QB situation. The Mahomes effect is in full force.

Exactly. Yes Smith was awesome. He had all day to throw. Some plays could have had a cup of coffee and a donut. So this week against a real pass rush we shall learn more about the oline and Alex. When is the last time you saw that kind of pass protection in KC?

Was it a lousy NE dline or good oline play? This we should give us an idea. 

Exactly. Yes Smith was awesome. He had all day to throw. Some plays could have had a cup of coffee and a donut. So this week against a real pass rush we shall learn more about the oline and Alex. When is the last time you saw that kind of pass protection in KC?

Was it a lousy NE dline or good oline play? This we should give us an idea. 

That's the beauty of an opening day game. Are we this good or is NE that bad? Going to be fun to find out. I think we're good.

That's the beauty of an opening day game. Are we this good or is NE that bad? Going to be fun to find out. I think we're good.

yes it was

I think we just caught  the Pats sleeping at the wheel.. they are not that bad and until proven other wise we are not that good.. Kinda like a lucky night at the Bar taking home some real looker.

I was at a place at the Lake of the Ozarks called "Party Cove" one weekend.. ran into this girl that had boobs like bumper bullets on an old Caddy.. damn. She was on me like Bee's on Honey.. her friends called her Boo Boo because when god put her together he did everything right but for got her brain.. God Made a Boo Boo..kinds a like one of Charlie's girls on 31/2 men.. it was a great day never to be repeated.

Thats what i thought of the NE game

yes it was

I think we just caught  the Pats sleeping at the wheel.. they are not that bad and until proven other wise we are not that good.. Kinda like a lucky night at the Bar taking home some real looker.

I was at a place at the Lake of the Ozarks called "Party Cove" one weekend.. ran into this girl that had boobs like bumper bullets on an old Caddy.. damn. She was on me like Bee's on Honey.. her friends called her Boo Boo because when god put her together he did everything right but for got her brain.. God Made a Boo Boo..kinds a like one of Charlie's girls on 31/2 men.. it was a great day never to be repeated.

Thats what i thought of the NE game

Any time you can get Party Cove, bumper bullets, boobs and Boo Boo in a story, I'm all ears. Great story and analogy.

What I see as odd is many in here will take the first weeks games from other teams as the way THAT team will be this year. In the Chiefs case it's always lets wait and see. A litte consistency from the fans as well as the team would be nice.

If Smith had gotten knocked out in the first quarter in a scoreless game against the Patriots, Mahomes had finished the game, and the Chiefs had won, I'm pretty certain that you would have said something like:

You also probably would have left out the "Although we could never prove it" part.

You're so stuck on your opinion about Smith that a week after his offense put up 6 touchdowns despite a negative turnover differential, you say:

Ridiculous. There's no arrow for Mahomes until he plays a complete game in the regular season against a team representative of what the Chiefs will j9play against in the post-season.

I've bewn fairly consistent. I said the Chiefs were absolutely taking a QB after he missed a lot of throws in the playoff loss, and they did. I said Mahomes was the favorite and he was the pick. I said this is Alex's last year and even Alex acknowledges that.

They don't make a power play to get a replacement this year if they felt committed to Alex for multiple years.

They spent 3 selections to make sure the Alex era is about finished. It's real nice he's finally throwing downfield, but let's hold the horses. He was slinging it all over Week 1 last year.

You can quack on all year long, but Alex is gone after the next one and done and it'll be Mahomes time.

I've bewn fairly consistent. I said the Chiefs were absolutely taking a QB after he missed a lot of throws in the playoff loss, and they did. I said Mahomes was the favorite and he was the pick. I said this is Alex's last year and even Alex acknowledges that.

They don't make a power play to get a replacement this year if they felt committed to Alex for multiple years.

They spent 3 selections to make sure the Alex era is about finished. It's real nice he's finally throwing downfield, but let's hold the horses. He was slinging it all over Week 1 last year.

You can quack on all year long, but Alex is gone after the next one and done and it'll be Mahomes time.

We weren't talking about Alex Smith's future employment. You suggested that Mahomes is in the same hemisphere as Smith when it comes to quarterbacking competence. You're out of your mind.

Stop making this about perceived biases and stick to intellectually honest football discussion.

We weren't talking about Alex Smith's future employment. You suggested that Mahomes is in the same hemisphere as Smith when it comes to quarterbacking competence. You're out of your mind.

Stop making this about perceived biases and stick to intellectually honest football discussion.

ROASTTT

That's not what I said.

Mahomes brings things to the table that Alex can't, looked dang impressive for as much as he still has to learn and was similar statistically to Alex in August.

People really underestimate Mahomes here and the race would of been tighter than expected if it were open.

If my prediction holds up, we'll get that answer by the end of this season.

And finally, the whole thing that started your verbal diarrhea was about Mahomes taking Alex's job and nobody gives a fuck about the 49ers.

This is it for Alex. They would have to blow up the roster to keep him or he would need to take a minimum of a 50% discount. Neither side should do that.

They have his successor in place and everything leans towards him being ready to take over next year. They've never at any point ever indicated anything beyond this season with Alex and his new boss was all for Pat.

They can't afford to retain a bunch of FA's while giving Morse and Peters extensions with his salary on the books. It's not possible. They aren't kicking the can down the road with him because doing that is why Dorsey got fired.

Alex is leaving in 2018, the team will be just fine in the long haul, once again nobody cares about the 49ers and he's going to wear a cat. I'll take the blowback if I'm wrong here, but Pat will be the guy barring anything unforseen and Jags fans will be telling you to eat shit.

If you're backing off of this comment, that's fine, because it's absolutely wrong.

Mahomes hasn't run with the ones. His footwork and mechanics clearly proved that he's not ready for that honor.

You forget who you're talking to: I've been here before. I've seen an inferior quarterback handed the reigns before he deserved it, and the sense of entitlement he had showed itself when he publicly argued that mechanics don't matter and when he held out prior to the 2014 season.

Mahomes' tangibles and intangibles don't come into play until he can be a reasonable facsimile of an NFL starting quarterback. Until then, he can learn from the sideline. That should keep him hungry. I don't see why any true Chiefs fan should have a problem with that.

The preseason is over, and it's time for the big boys to be on the field. Sit back and enjoy. You'll have to wait until either an injury to Smith or at least 2018 for some sort of validation of your opinion to be obtained. And I'm thankful for the Chiefs' sake that Andy Reid doesn't view quarterback development as short-sightedly as you do.

Sit back and enjoy the season. 

Archived