And finally, nobody gives a *** about the 49ers.

People used to. And five years ago, people were using your words about the Chiefs. But guess what?: Everyone who cares anything about football is at least talking about the Chiefs now. Some are saying they are the best team in the league right now. Despite losing Berry for the year. I wonder why.

Like I said, Enjoy. Or let the hate flow. Your choice. The latter's not as good for your health or mental well-being.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have been nice to see mahomes play with the "ones".

Since that would have suggested that he had made significant progress in quarterbacking fundamentals like footwork, as well as a quantum leap in regards to learning West Coast Offense fundamentals, yes, it would have been nice to see him executing West Coast Offense plays with the Ones.

Literally no one in the Chiefs' building expected this. Almost no one outside of the Chiefs' building expected this. The few that dared to hope Mahomes could run Reid's offense effectively with (and against) the Ones were almost exclusively Chiefs fans.

There's no injustice to Mahomes playing with the Twos. Who's to say that Smith has as good a week one without the reps he got with the first team offense? But we can almost assuredly say that all available data suggests that Mahomes could not have been as productive against the Patriots. He's got a long ways to go.

Since that would have suggested that he had made significant progress in quarterbacking fundamentals like footwork, as well as a quantum leap in regards to learning West Coast Offense fundamentals, yes, it would have been nice to see him executing West Coast Offense plays with the Ones.

Literally no one in the Chiefs' building expected this. Almost no one outside of the Chiefs' building expected this. The few that dared to hope Mahomes could run Reid's offense effectively with (and against) the Ones were almost exclusively Chiefs fans.

There's no injustice to Mahomes playing with the Twos. Who's to say that Smith has as good a week one without the reps he got with the first team offense? But we can almost assuredly say that all available data suggests that Mahomes could not have been as productive against the Patriots. He's got a long ways to go.

Footwork may be an issue but running a specific type of "offense"is something that is over used in terms of ones ability to play. If you can play, you can play. The offense is always going to be catered to the QB strengths.

That being said, Alex smith is the man for the job this year.

I was just saying, in preseason, it would have been nice to see mahomes play with the ones.

Footwork may be an issue but running a specific type of "offense"is something that is over used in terms of ones ability to play. If you can play, you can play. The offense is always going to be catered to the QB strengths.

That being said, Alex smith is the man for the job this year.

I was just saying, in preseason, it would have been nice to see mahomes play with the ones.

The entire roster has been progressively built to run the West Coast Offense, and Smith was selected to be Reid's quarterback because he had all of the components needed to execute the scheme. The idea that the scheme needs to cater to the quarterback is overused. The best coaches don't run an inferior scheme to accommodate an inferior quarterback; they start the quarterback who can effectively run the superior scheme. (This is not the same as coaching the execution of the simpler facets of a complex scheme as a quarterback becomes acclimated to the local system.)

Reid is not a coach who will start running the read-option as a form of training wheels for his protégé.

The entire roster has been progressively built to run the West Coast Offense, and Smith was selected to be Reid's quarterback because he had all of the components needed to execute the scheme. The idea that the scheme needs to cater to the quarterback is overused. The best coaches don't run an inferior scheme to accommodate an inferior quarterback; they start the quarterback who can effectively run the superior scheme. (This is not the same as coaching the execution of the simpler facets of a complex scheme as a quarterback becomes acclimated to the local system.)

Reid is not a coach who will start running the read-option as a form of training wheels for his protégé.

lol

Reid has been scheming around Alex's limitations for 4 years.

I would argue that the Chiefs have been rebuilding around the offense's limitations for the past 4 years.

D Bowe was out the door.

Fisher was realy raw

Reid did not overpay Rodney Hudson

JC went down

The problems were too numerous to list....

Smith needs time, if he gets it...he is a very good QB.  If he does not, he can not carry the team on his own shoulders.

All that said, the Chiefs made the right call with Mahomes.  The kid looks to be special and he is clearly the best QB behind Alex Smith.

I plan to enjoy this season with a positive eye for the future as well.

w

Oh, and do you ever post about anything other than smith, and discounting Justin Houston ?

All I said about Justin Houston is that his contract grossly overpaid him, and due to his injuries, the thing has been a millstone for two years.

Perhaps he'll have a productive 2017. He didn't get his sacks last week until situation (i.e. the Chiefs having a significant lead) forced the Patriots into more passing situations, but he executed well on the 4th-and-1 stop in the first quarter, and had a number of good plays that didn't show up in the stat sheet. The Next Gen stats showed that on the average pass rush attempt Justin Houston was barely within five yards of Tom Brady, weaker than the league average by that metric, but I understand that scheme and personnel have a lot to do with that average distance of separation, so I won't make it out to be more than it is.

Does that count as a post not "discounting Justin Houston"? I'm certainly not going to do what some here have done and exaggerate his impact on the defense. He certainly didn't take over the game for the Chiefs, nor did anyone else on that defense. The Patriots were allowed to score 17 points on their five first-half drives; hardly commendable for a team whose supposed strength is their defense.

lol

Reid has been scheming around Alex's limitations for 4 years.

Thank you sir.

No coach runs a specific offense anymore. You call plays based on a game plan against another team. Based on your players.

No coach is stuffing a square into a circle

Thank you sir.

No coach runs a specific offense anymore. You call plays based on a game plan against another team. Based on your players.

No coach is stuffing a square into a circle

I didn't suggest otherwise.

What I did say was that there are quarterbacks Reid would never put on the field because they wouldn't be able to execute an offense he'd put his name to. Mahomes might be able to one day, but there's a reason he's not starting yet.

What I did say was that there are quarterbacks Reid would never put on the field because they wouldn't be able to execute an offense he'd put his name to. Mahomes might be able to one day, but there's a reason he's not starting yet.

I never said he was ready to start.

What I did say to begin with was, I wanted to see him play with the ones in preseason.

Evidently, having an heir apparent in the same room appeals to him.

“Oh, for sure,” Smith said this week. “I’ve said before, the reality is whether or not we drafted Pat, I still had to make that decision for them anyway. You either hold up your end or you don’t. If you don’t, you’re not going to be around.

“It’s easy to get caught up in that,” Smith continued, “but really, the situation hasn’t changed. That’s the reality of it when you are this far along in your career. You have to prove yourself.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-alex-smith-is-airing-it-out-like-never-before-092117%3famp=true

Mahomes might be able to one day, but there's a reason he's not starting yet.

The reason is pretty simple.  The Chiefs are geared to win this season, not just building for the future.  Smith gives them the best chance to win.  That doesn't indicate that Mahomes won't fit into Reid's system, only that he needs polish and experience before he's the best on the team.

Evidently, having an heir apparent in the same room appeals to him.

“Oh, for sure,” Smith said this week. “I’ve said before, the reality is whether or not we drafted Pat, I still had to make that decision for them anyway. You either hold up your end or you don’t. If you don’t, you’re not going to be around.

“It’s easy to get caught up in that,” Smith continued, “but really, the situation hasn’t changed. That’s the reality of it when you are this far along in your career. You have to prove yourself.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/kansas-city-chiefs-qb-alex-smith-is-airing-it-out-like-never-before-092117%3famp=true

Great artcle. Just about to post it. Happy Red Friday!

Archived