All I said about Justin Houston is that his contract grossly overpaid him, and due to his injuries, the thing has been a millstone for two years.

Perhaps he'll have a productive 2017. He didn't get his sacks last week until situation (i.e. the Chiefs having a significant lead) forced the Patriots into more passing situations, but he executed well on the 4th-and-1 stop in the first quarter, and had a number of good plays that didn't show up in the stat sheet. The Next Gen stats showed that on the average pass rush attempt Justin Houston was barely within five yards of Tom Brady, weaker than the league average by that metric, but I understand that scheme and personnel have a lot to do with that average distance of separation, so I won't make it out to be more than it is.

Does that count as a post not "discounting Justin Houston"? I'm certainly not going to do what some here have done and exaggerate his impact on the defense. He certainly didn't take over the game for the Chiefs, nor did anyone else on that defense. The Patriots were allowed to score 17 points on their five first-half drives; hardly commendable for a team whose supposed strength is their defense.

Don't know the starting point of the argument but Houston doesn't really play the traditional pass rusher, that was Hali's job and Ford took over that role. Houston is more of a true OLB at this point dropping back to coverage in some passing downs rather than always going after the QB. IMO he'll have more impact in 2017 with his current role but the numbers may not always reflect his value. I don't know the level of exaggeration regarding his contributions but so far he's a solid player on a good defense but didn't stand out as exceptional from my point of view.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know the starting point of the argument but Houston doesn't really play the traditional pass rusher, that was Hali's job and Ford took over that role. Houston is more of a true OLB at this point dropping back to coverage in some passing downs rather than always going after the QB. IMO he'll have more impact in 2017 with his current role but the numbers may not always reflect his value. I don't know the level of exaggeration regarding his contributions but so far he's a solid player on a good defense but didn't stand out as exceptional from my point of view.

The one thing you guys will learn is he's a Alex Smith fan girl that will twist anything to either make Alex Smith look like a victim or a good guy.

"Well if this Houston could read the future and predict Ron Parker was gonna whip into his knee than Alex would be Super Bowl MVP. So therefore, it's not Alex's fault that the D wasn't 1985 Bears. Praise Alex"

Save your breath.

Houston isn't used as a pass rusher very often. It feels like maybe 1 out of 5 snaps or so. He is so good in coverage and run support that he is usually doing that. I is a complete stud and I wish he would rush it he passer more because he is so good at it. But I can't argue with it. Sutton knows what he is doing, I just like to see a QB blown up and a 3 and out.

Archived