Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome was more than miffed about Travis Kelce's collegiate antics

Kelce is a freakin double edged sword, but he has got to stop the SHIT!!

Seems like Ozzie was spot on with Kelce.  

Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce is one of the more explosive players in the league and certainly one of the more controversial. Known for his big plays and even bigger mouth, Kelce has garnered plenty of love and hate over his short NFL career. But going back to the 2013 NFL draft, it seems at least the Baltimore Ravens were concerned with what was quickly becoming a regular occurrence with Kelce in college.

Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome met with Kelce prior to the draft, as teams typically do, according to GQ writer Clay Skipper’s interview with Kelce. However, instead of extending the young tight end any warmth at the start of the meeting, Newsome quickly flipped to a highlight reel of Kelce’s more infamous moments.

“Without getting up to shake Kelce’s hand, Newsome grabs a nearby remote and flips on a highlight reel. Though maybe “highlight” is not the word. The tape showcases Kelce’s affinity for being a bit 
extra
—pointing in opposing players’ faces, talking trash, roughing them up after the whistle has been blown. Again and again, the film shows the college star’s penchant for offsetting downfield catches with yellow flags.”

It was then that Newsome got to the point.

“According to Kelce, Newsome let about five clips play before throwing the remote on the table, turning to face him, and asking ‘Son, are you a [expletive] [expletive]?'”

It appears as though Newsome and the Ravens’ didn’t like Kelce’s answer since the tight end slid into the third round before being selected by Kansas City. It ended up being one of Baltimore’s worst drafts overall, though they did select defensive tackle Brandon Williams with the last pick in the third round that year.

Baltimore would further select tight ends Crockett Gillmore and Maxx Williams in the 2014 and 2015 drafts respectively. They’ve yet to find that big-play tight end they covet.

HTTP://RAVENSWIRE.USATODAY.COM/2017/09/07/RAVENS-GM-OZZIE-NEWSOME-WAS-MORE-THAN-MIFFED-ABOUT-TRAVIS-KELCES-COLLEGIATE-ANTICS/

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh. His talent far exceeds his problems.

The Ravens were led for years by a murderer and Ozzie kept paying him, so fuck Ozzie Newsome and his self righteous opinions.

That's not the issue.  The Chiefs a lucky to have Kelce on the team.  But he would be so much more valuable and helpful to the team if he acted like a pro instead of a hot headed brat.  Gotta put the good of the team and the chance to win ahead of child like tantrums.

Meh again. I can't think of a win he's cost us but i damn sure can find games he's won for us.

So what would be the cost if Kelce get suspended for a game or two for slamming the football into some guy's groin?   Penalties are drive killers and last night could easily have turned into a one score margin.  If Kelce is confined to the bench for a while, the Chiefs' offense takes on a whole new character.  I was at the game where Kelce threw the flag at an official.  The Chiefs barely won that game when they should have won by 15.  One loss can make or break the season or playoff position.  Why take the chance?

sorry but to me it's meh...

He is what he is. A hothead loudmouth. He's also the most dynamic tight end in the game.

You get the bad with the good. For those wishing the bad will go away... well, wish in one hand...

Bottom line is this offense doesn't work nearly as well without him while Alex is the qb. I think Mahomes can throw to anybody but Alex needs that tight end security blanket drawing coverage.

He is what he is. A hothead loudmouth. He's also the most dynamic tight end in the game.

You get the bad with the good. For those wishing the bad will go away... well, wish in one hand...

Bottom line is this offense doesn't work nearly as well without him while Alex is the qb. I think Mahomes can throw to anybody but Alex needs that tight end security blanket drawing coverage.

I love Kelce. He reacted to a dirty move with a dirty move.

During the NBC interview with Tirico Kelce said he's all grown up ready to be a leader lol. Kelce will always be Kelce.

People tend to focus on one piece of the game at a time. Some of you geeks rewatch the games over and over again evaluating everything like your lives depend on it. However, most people never watch the games being played within the game unless someone points it out. I've never believed anyone did anything without a reason. It may be a shitty reason but a reason still the same.

Lost in all the responses is the 99% probability of this never being said by Ozzie.

The man never cusses and would never talk like that to a draft prospect, player, coach or fan. Ever.

Sorry, but that sounds like to me that Kelce is making some stuff up.

And I love the "Ray ray is a murderer" angle thrown in....awesome way to try to excuse Kelce's behavior.

“According to Kelce, Newsome let about five clips play before throwing the remote on the table, turning to face him, and asking ‘Son, are you a [expletive] [expletive]?'”

Lost in all the responses is the 99% probability of this never being said by Ozzie.

The man never cusses and would never talk like that to a draft prospect, player, coach or fan. Ever.

Sorry, but that sounds like to me that Kelce is making some stuff up.

And I love the "Ray ray is a murderer" angle thrown in....awesome way to try to excuse Kelce's behavior.

So you have bern in personal one on one conversations with Ozzie have you?

I'm not saying he did or didn't say it but people talk and act differently in public vs in private.

In regards to Lewis, if you believe or even suspect OJ of committing murder then you have to believe Lewis did as well. Sometimes we don't want to admit to negative things about our teams or players without the smoking gun. However, we have no problem with believing things about others with less evidence.

So you have bern in personal one on one conversations with Ozzie have you?

I'm not saying he did or didn't say it but people talk and act differently in public vs in private.

In regards to Lewis, if you believe or even suspect OJ of committing murder then you have to believe Lewis did as well. Sometimes we don't want to admit to negative things about our teams or players without the smoking gun. However, we have no problem with believing things about others with less evidence.

Spoke to him for 30 minutes the night before Thanksgiving last year at the Ravens Complex- I delivered CO2 on an emergency basis to get through the holiday.

I was waiting for a hamburger the Manager ordered for me and Ozzie asked if he could sit down. Truth be told, he said the word "Shoot" and then was immediately embarrassed.

As far as Ray, this has been rehashed over and over- the DA dropped the charges because of lack of evidence. The 3 acquaintances who were also charged were acquitted also.

I never cared for him- one of the best to play the game and probably the best MLB ever but all the hot air coming from him is a bit much. But I have defended him based on the case,  the law and the evidence. And to turn your phrase, maybe because he DIDN'T play for your team, you WANT to believe the worst.

OJ was and always will be guilty. Too much evidence to not convict- that was purely race based.

Archived