Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome was more than miffed about Travis Kelce's collegiate antics

Kelce is at times, without a doubt, a complete dumbass.  That said, he's a football player, and by that, I mean he's emotional, and I like that.  I'll agree he needs to contain it so we don't get hit with costly penalties, but I think he has a passion that this team needs.  NFL teams need a guy with that chip on his shoulder, it breeds a mentality of toughness.  I think it's important to have a guy that has a "take no shit" attitude.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I want football players, not choir boys.  That doesn't mean I want a team full of guys with a rap sheet, but I do want guys that can get nasty on the field.  I know free agency in the early 90s basically ended true rivalries of hatred since guys float across multiple teams now, but nothing gets under my skin more than to see a player smiling and conversing with an opponent during a time out or between plays when we're losing, and that's not just in football.  You can be friends, friendly, whatever, but in my mind a competitor isn't smiling and laughing when they are losing.  

Yep

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelce is at times, without a doubt, a complete dumbass.  That said, he's a football player, and by that, I mean he's emotional, and I like that.  I'll agree he needs to contain it so we don't get hit with costly penalties, but I think he has a passion that this team needs.  NFL teams need a guy with that chip on his shoulder, it breeds a mentality of toughness.  I think it's important to have a guy that has a "take no shit" attitude.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I want football players, not choir boys.  That doesn't mean I want a team full of guys with a rap sheet, but I do want guys that can get nasty on the field.  I know free agency in the early 90s basically ended true rivalries of hatred since guys float across multiple teams now, but nothing gets under my skin more than to see a player smiling and conversing with an opponent during a time out or between plays when we're losing, and that's not just in football.  You can be friends, friendly, whatever, but in my mind a competitor isn't smiling and laughing when they are losing.  

Agree. And Andy talks a lot about players needing to have fun and not taking their personality out of the game when they are all out competing. He just needs to reel in the stuff that he will be penalized for (although that seems unlikely at this point). We will see how Big Red handles this going forward when it does cost us something. You must listen to Rex Hudler's disdain about Royals players constantly laughing it up with opponents during the game. Honestly that doesn't bother me because baseball is more of a game of skill that really doesn't require you to be charged up to crush your opponent. In football though its absolutely essential and that is an attitude winning teams have. 

I agree, you also have to think the big plays he makes is because of the same passion.  You also don't hear anyone on the team talking about how it is 'bad' for the team, they all love it and get fired up by it too.

Agree. And Andy talks a lot about players needing to have fun and not taking their personality out of the game when they are all out competing. He just needs to reel in the stuff that he will be penalized for (although that seems unlikely at this point). We will see how Big Red handles this going forward when it does cost us something. You must listen to Rex Hudler's disdain about Royals players constantly laughing it up with opponents during the game. Honestly that doesn't bother me because baseball is more of a game of skill that really doesn't require you to be charged up to crush your opponent. In football though its absolutely essential and that is an attitude winning teams have. 

Baseball is a different animal.  You have a lot of downtime with pitching changes and whatnot, so a first basemen bs'ing with the runner is no big deal.  Baseball is also not the emotional in your face game like football and basketball.  I don't mind seeing it in baseball, but in football and basketball, it really irritates me.  Then again, I never liked losing, so even though I wasn't talented enough to play sports at a high level (major college or professionally) if my team was losing, I wasn't feeling very chummy with the opposition, or even my teammates at times.  

Kelce will be fine for a while. He has a lof talent which helps ignore the non-pro aspects of his game. His NFL career will probably be shorter though as not many will put up with his mistakes once he starts regressing. He has a long way to get there so could always turn things around and hopefully he will.

Talent will only take him so far and for so long. Hopefully he learns to take control of himself and put the team first

I have played sports for a couple of great  coaches.

One of the best once told me after I did something stupid:

"if you can't keep your emotions in check, I'll do it for you as you will not play.  You know how hard it is to get 15 yards on a single play.  Think about how many things have to go right to make that happen. How many guys have to give 100%.  How many of your team mates have to sacrifice and put their bodies on the line.  Why would you want to let them down?  Why would you want to disappoint them?"

He got my attention.

Of course, I was no superstar and it was a different time.

w

I have played sports for a couple of great  coaches.

One of the best once told me after I did something stupid:

"if you can't keep your emotions in check, I'll do it for you as you will not play.  You know how hard it is to get 15 yards on a single play.  Think about how many things have to go right to make that happen. How many guys have to give 100%.  How many of your team mates have to sacrifice and put their bodies on the line.  Why would you want to let them down?  Why would you want to disappoint them?"

He got my attention.

Of course, I was no superstar and it was a different time.

w

And, I'll bet right after that, you leapt into the endzone from the 5 yard line?  :P

I think Kelce is as dumb as a bucket of rocks, but his passion feeds both the good and the bad. I wouldn't punish him or bench him. My concern would be if you take the fight out of the dog, you take the dog out of the fight.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL doesn't step in at some point.

I think Kelce is as dumb as a bucket of rocks, but his passion feeds both the good and the bad. I wouldn't punish him or bench him. My concern would be if you take the fight out of the dog, you take the dog out of the fight.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL doesn't step in at some point.

No fine, I guess they realized the difference between vengeful taunting and good ole fun.

I've never seen Reid as raged as he was when he was chewing out Kelce after that penalty. If he does it again, I guarantee you Reid will sit his ass for a possession or 2

he certainly looked pissed..almost expected him  to turn into Ditka  and grab him by his face mask

Archived