DISCLAIMER:  Yes, it's early.  No I do not think the Chiefs season is over.  Relax.  This is a long project to see how things progress as the year goes on

Cap space+carryover: 4.5m

Retire:

Tamba Hali

Derrick Johnson

Trade:

Alex Smith to Jacksonville Jaguars for a 2018 3rd round choice

Dee Ford to LA Rams for a 2018 3rd round choice (Wade Phillips gets a budget Von Miller)

Alex Smith is definitely gone in 2018.  No matter what. 

Release:

Spencer Ware

Charcandrick West

West is mostly useless and I'm not sure if Ware will be the same again. 

Carryover, with respective moves, will put them at 49 million in cap space.  Plenty of space, but plenty of work to do done.

Re-Sign:

Cairo Santos (3yr/9m)

Dustin Colquitt (2yr/3m)

Tender:

Ramik Wilson (original)

Zach Fulton (original)

RNR (original)

Kevin Pierre-Lewis (original)

Following moves puts their space down to about 40 million remaining.  Take out another 6 for draft class+signing players during year to replace injuries.

They have Mitch Morse and Marcus Peters due for new deals, so consider them budget shopping.

Free Agency:

QB Chase Daniel (1yr/4m)

RB Jeremy Hill (2yr/3m)

Bringing back Chase Daniel will give them an upgrade at QB2, some competition for Mahomes and a guy very knowledgeable about the Offense.  Jeremy Hill will be a nice budget 2 and bringing in Lynch on a 1 year prove it deal gives them more time to develop Tanoh.

A quiet FA for KC while they evaluate things post Alex era and lock up some key young players.

Draft:

2.  Armani Watts, S  Texas A&M

More luxury than need at this juncture, but he could fill in at FS early on and they could play Ron Parker more as a nickel before he fully replaces Ron.

3.1. Porter Gustin, DE/OLB  USC

Can't have too many edge-rushers.

3.2. Carlton Davis, CB  Auburn

I like Mitchell, but the Chiefs won't pay him and Peters.  Peters is definitely gonna get paid.

Davis is a physical guy with good size.

3.3. Lowell Lotulelei, NT  Utah

I like Bennie Logan too, but this upcoming NT class is a pretty good one and I wouldn't spend a lot of cash on a two down guy.

4. Azeem Victor, ILB  Washington

Veech grabs a developmental ILB in case Wilson or Ragland don't work out like hoped.

5. Jaylen Samuels, FB/TE/HB North Carolina St

(The Chiefs are projected to fetch a comp 5th for Nick Foles)

A tweener guy, but could bring an interesting wrinkle to the KC offense as the replacement for the "sausage"

6. J'Mon Moore, WR  Missouri

The Chiefs take a flyer on a local kid with good size and decent speed.

Combing over the 2018 QB class and I am so glad we took one in 17.

Darnold - Not coming out unless the Trojans win the title. (They aren't)

No reason to hurry out of LA to play for a shithole team.

Rosen - Good, live arm. Ok athlete. Can really spin the ball well now that he's healthy again.

A dumbass, but the most talented and will be the #1 QB in the draft without Darnold.

Welcome to hell, kid.

Jackson - Fun as hell to watch....he really is. Reminds me a lot of Michael Vick and while people have trashed Jackson a lot, I think he has an NFL future.

Will be very interesting to see where he lands.

Falk - The Leach scheme inflates him, but I think he translates beyond the air raid.

Quality arm, good height and leadership skills. On the light side, but doesn't look maxed out.

Deserves credit for helping put Wazzu in conversations. I think he will rise in the pre-draft process.

Allen - The most overrated QB since Brian Brohm. All tools and little substance.

Draws comparisons to Big Ben, but should be known as the love child of Flacco and Paxton Lynch.

Will go much higher than he should to some sucker squad. Been waiting and waiting for him to lift his team up to higher heights on a bigger stage and he hasn't done it.

Sure it's Wyoming, but I'd like to see at least a scrappy performance like Ben @ Miami of OH. It just ain't there.

Rudolph - Your typical mid range project guy. Decent size and production, but needs work on the mental side.

Mayfield - oh hell no. Run like hell.

Rosen is destined to be a Jet.

I think the best landing spot for Lamar Jackson will be in San Die....LA. Would be a nice change of pace from Rivers and would play for a coach that has experience working with Tyrod Taylor.

Rudolph might make sense in a place like Indianapolis where Luck is an uncertain.

How can we talk about next spring's draft when we don't know what the Chiefs have now?  Kpass and Eligwe need some playing time to know what they can contribute.  Can Engiler come back strong?  How will Ware look when he comes back?  Still need to learn more about the DBs already on the roster and the PS receivers.  Agree that Hali and DJ are probably gone, but the rest of the roster has a few miles left on them so the Chiefs will be drafting for need.  I can see WR, CB, and RB at the skill positions and NT, OL, LB in the lines.

How can we talk about next spring's draft when we don't know what the Chiefs have now? Kpass and Eligwe need some playing time to know what they can contribute. Can Engiler come back strong? How will Ware look when he comes back? Still need to learn more about the DBs already on the roster and the PS receivers. Agree that Hali and DJ are probably gone, but the rest of the roster has a few miles left on them so the Chiefs will be drafting for need. I can see WR, CB, and RB at the skill positions and NT, OL, LB in the lines.

I agree with all of these that. We have some interesting talent at LB. it will be nice to see if either of those two turn into really good players. At least one will. I hope it's Kpass because he could turn into a monster over time. I have a feeling it will be Eligwe. His instincts are really good. Nose for the he ball.

Good assessment of the qb's. Color me unimpressed as well.

I think there are some interesting prospects, but the talk of it being a mega QB class was very silly.

That's why I said they needed to strike on Mahomes. If he was a sure thing, we never would of had a shot at him. Thank goodness they pulled the trigger.

And finally, I think even at this point you have a pretty good idea what the Chiefs need.

Ware had a pretty nasty knee injury and had issues holding up the previous year. Bum knee and durability concerns are enough to lead me towards letting him go.

I think Kpass is a guy you should be playing allover instead of just at olb. Regardless of Kpass, they need a major upgrade from Zombo.

Receivers, they should add a little to help shore up the lower end of the depth chart. I want to see what DRob, Conley and Chesson can do with Mahomes before saying we should go WR early.

I think there are some interesting prospects, but the talk of it being a mega QB class was very silly.

That's why I said they needed to strike on Mahomes. If he was a sure thing, we never would of had a shot at him. Thank goodness they pulled the trigger.

Assuming the Chiefs have a season similar to the last one, they wouldn't be in better position to draft an elite QB next spring.  They did the right thing going for a project this year while Smith is still starting than paying just as much next year and having to start him too soon.  I'm liking the Mahomes pick a lot.

Assuming the Chiefs have a season similar to the last one, they wouldn't be in better position to draft an elite QB next spring.  They did the right thing going for a project this year while Smith is still starting than paying just as much next year and having to start him too soon.  I'm liking the Mahomes pick a lot.

Exactly my point all through the draft process.  The Chiefs are just too good to fall into an elite QB, so they had to roll the dice if they ever want one.

Teams are stupidly down on these QB's (except for Watson.  They were right on him.) and there will be some good keepers from it.  The Chiefs had a two-fold luxury in having a QB whisperer and the capital to make a power move to get one.

Exactly my point all through the draft process.  The Chiefs are just too good to fall into an elite QB, so they had to roll the dice if they ever want one.

Teams are stupidly down on these QB's (except for Watson.  They were right on him.) and there will be some good keepers from it.  The Chiefs had a two-fold luxury in having a QB whisperer and the capital to make a power move to get one.

being a crappy team guarantees you nothing, hell  the browns go for a QB every year and they still sucked ass...Jackson may get the chance to turn this team

around if the dumbasses in their front office can stay outta the way

being a crappy team guarantees you nothing, hell  the browns go for a QB every year and they still sucked ass...Jackson may get the chance to turn this team

around if the dumbasses in their front office can stay outta the way

The Browns were stupid because they never had a plan.

They had no plan at all for Manziel. Fuck, they weren't locked in on him until a homeless guy told the owner to draft him.

Weeden - No way in hell you could have any realistic plan with a nearly 30 year old rookie.

Beyond that, they did a lot of trashcan searching for QBs and constantly had no plan at all with all the coaching and FO turnover.

Ok so where are you going with this?

Anyhow on the QB front, I think Baker Mayfield is an undraftable prospect. I had some questions about how he would translate to the NFL from the get go, but too many bad vibes with this kid. Seems like a real wanker.

All Mayfield does is win though. I'm watching that OU team tonight and itheh start a freshman RB and WR around him. He's got to be one of those guys you hate when he's not on your team but his teammates love him. We realistically could draft a QB in the mid rounds again next year and he's going before that so really not our issue either way.

All Mayfield does is win though. I'm watching that OU team tonight and itheh start a freshman RB and WR around him. He's got to be one of those guys you hate when he's not on your team but his teammates love him. We realistically could draft a QB in the mid rounds again next year and he's going before that so really not our issue either way.

Winning doesn't get accurate passes to the outside hash against NFL defenders. I don't give a shit about a team record when it relates to scouting.

Also to the FA stuff....we can’t go into the season $40M under cap with the NFL rules. And trade Ford? That’s not a good idea without anyone behind him and Houston’s history of injuries.

Ford is fine. Can't believe all the hate. Guy had 10.5 sacks and some key moments in pass coverage.

Big sack last week too

Ford is fine. Can't believe all the hate. Guy had 10.5 sacks and some key moments in pass coverage.

Big sack last week too

I think a lot of the hate was there because they wanted some quarterback in that round. I'm glad we got Mahomes instead. Didn't he also have some sort of side business, too?

Winning doesn't get accurate passes to the outside hash against NFL defenders. I don't give a shit about a team record when it relates to scouting.

You made reference to his character and I commented specifically on that. He's got a decent arm in the Alex Smith type mold in my opinion which means he can make all the NFL throws albeit there are certainly questions here. He's undersized unlike Alex but does a good job of extending plays with his legs. And he keeps his eyes up and looks to pass rather than run. Should be able to find passing lanes in the NFL because of this. Personally I see him as a day two type guy who could help or hurt himself a lot at the combine-pro day.

His overall story though is pretty remarkable as the only freshman walk on to start day one in modern history. He then loses his job to Davis Webb, who loses his job to freshman Pat Mahomes. The irony here is indeed thick. But in the end as I said his offseason workouts will probably play a huge role in his fate next April.

You made reference to his character and I commented specifically on that. He's got a decent arm in the Alex Smith type mold in my opinion which means he can make all the NFL throws albeit there are certainly questions here. He's undersized unlike Alex but does a good job of extending plays with his legs. And he keeps his eyes up and looks to pass rather than run. Should be able to find passing lanes in the NFL because of this. Personally I see him as a day two type guy who could help or hurt himself a lot at the combine-pro day.

His overall story though is pretty remarkable as the only freshman walk on to start day one in modern history. He then loses his job to Davis Webb, who loses his job to freshman Pat Mahomes. The irony here is indeed thick. But in the end as I said his offseason workouts will probably play a huge role in his fate next April.

He's a douche that can't stop partying to the point it got him in jail in Arkansas.

A budget Johnny Manziel without the arm talent.

Big sack last week too

Ford is a 4th year starter that still can't set the edge or be a consistent edge rusher.

He gets a lot of sacks in bunches against tackles with slow feet. Dude has the best teacher in the game and still has some of the worst technique.

He can still get there regardless at times and can drop into coverage and is a starter, so not a bust.

Archived