Fisher is more of a bust than ford by a long shot in comparison.

Hardly. Fisher is not an elite tackle, but he is a solid tackle and a much more consistent player. Ford's game is so inconsistent it's maddening. He's still abysmal against the run and there is no part of Fisher's game that you would say that about. 

I wouldn't categorize either as a bust, but Fisher has already been paid, and Ford may get a nice contract based on age and flashes, but I have doubts as to whether or not it will be here. How much money can they afford to tie up at OLB?

Hardly. Fisher is not an elite tackle, but he is a solid tackle and a much more consistent player. Ford's game is so inconsistent it's maddening. He's still abysmal against the run and there is no part of Fisher's game that you would say that about.

I wouldn't categorize either as a bust, but Fisher has already been paid, and Ford may get a nice contract based on age and flashes, but I have doubts as to whether or not it will be here. How much money can they afford to tie up at OLB?

Fisher was the FIRST pick. He has had 1 good year. IMO, the other years were bad.

I agree. Fisher is much more consistent than Ford.

I don't understand why one has to be a busy though. Both are solid.

Fisher is more of a bust than ford by a long shot in comparison.

We lose Ford for the season, we barely notice. If we lose Fisher, we are in big, big trouble. An above average starting LT is much more important than a one dimensional pass rusher.

I think Ford is a huge liability against the run.

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping this than going back to doing more cool and good stuff.

Trades:

Alex Smith to the Jacksonville Jaguars for a 1st round pick.

The Jaguars can't hold together that elite D for some QB to win maybe a couple years later.  They need a starter, and a good one, immediately.

Retire:

Derrick Johnson
Tamba Hali

Release:
Allen Bailey (Playing poorly; time for him to go)

Tender:
Rakeem Nunez-Roches (original round)

Re-sign:
Albert Wilson (2yr/4m--he's proving his worth as depth this year)
Anthony Sherman (1yr/2m--Still an asset when they feel like using him)
Tyler Bray (1yr/1m)
Marcus Kemp, Kevin Pierre-Louis, Akeem Hunt to min. deals

Sign:
DE  Sheldon Richardson (4yr/32m)

The Chiefs swap out Allen Bailey for a younger, more versatile player.

Draft:

1. Roquan Smith, LB  Georgia

Time to finally replace DJ.  The problems with what's wrong with the Chiefs Defense starts right in the middle.

DJ is too old and slow and they've got nothing but future maybe's to play with him.  Suttons Defense quickly falls apart without a sideline to sideline guy up front; you can tell they know because they've been forcing their 20 mil pass-rusher to play that role.  Justin Houston is not that guy and it has to stop.

2.  Carlton Davis, CB  Auburn

A good, well rounded corner.  Mitchell was worth gambling, but it didn't pay off as expected.

3. BJ Hill, DL  NC State

Veach continues to add onto a DL that has seriously been unimpressive outside of Chris Jones.

4. Lowell Lotulelei, NT  Utah

Out with the old, in with the new.  Bennie Logan hasn't been as advertised and isn't worth the money.  Here's a guy that will mimic him for a fraction of the price.

6. Johnny Townsend, P  Florida

Plenty of leg and experience punting for a shitty Offense.

7.  Kenny Hill, QB  TCU

A new #3 QB.

What's wrong with this Defense?

Well, it's actually simple.  This Defense is always playing on its heels.

The gap control has been a problem for a long while now and teams are finally figuring out how to take advantage of that aspect.  They had designed that front to be one gap primary with the Mike being the primary gap filler.

They knew it would be a problem, so they signed Logan to do it from within and he's not quite as advertised.  They are asking more from the ends to handle the role also and well they don't have the beef and DJ is incapable of providing support.  It wasn't as bad with EB instinctively helping from time to time, but now he's out.

The front 7 needs a major re-haul, as 2 out of 7 of those spots are actually filled properly.  DJ needs to go, someone needs to separate from the pack next to him and take that job, Houston is fine but shouldn't be covering over 50% of his snaps, Dee Ford is sucking again (but lets see how Tanoh progresses, and Nicholas when he returns), Logan has gone from good to subpar and is trending the wrong way and Allen Bailey has been a significant liability.  Keep that in mind when you analyze how Houston performs when he actually does rush.

CB's?  Find a pass-rush and fire Gaines out of a fucking cannon, directly into the sun and swap out Mitchell for a rookie.  Problem solved.

And finally, Sorensen is a major liability with a major role.  That problem will fix itself in TC next year.

Sutton is a coordinator that will stick with what he knows, better or for worse.  They could do better, but they could do much worse.  Andy won't punt him, so they need to find what he needs to function.

With that, off I go until I feel like making another one. 

• 1 month later...

bump

Trades:

Alex Smith to the Washington Redskins for a 3rd round pick

Dee Ford to the LA Rams for a 2019 cond 4th

Retire:

Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali

Restructure:

Justin Houston (5 million in base salary cut for 7 million in incentives)

Release:

Allen Bailey

Demetrius Harris

Tender:
Rakeem Nunez-Roches (original round)

Marcus Kemp (ERFA)

Anthony Sherman (1yr/2m--Still an asset when they feel like using him)
Tyler Bray (1yr/1m)
Kevin Pierre-Louis, Albert Wilson, Dustin Colquitt, Jarvis Jenkins to min. deals

With carryover and all the following moves, the Chiefs are sitting with 42 million in cap space.

Sign:

OG Andrew Norwell 5yr 41m--Chiefs are done building the line until it's time to get rid of FIsher down the road

TE  Trey Burton 3yr 7.7m

QB  Blaine Gabbert 2yr 2m

Draft:

2.  Andrew Brown, DL  Virginia

Allen Bailey is physically toast, so it was time to make a change.

3.  Derrick Nnadi, NT  Florida St

Bennie Logan wasn't cutting it in KC, so it was time.

3. Kevin Toliver, CB  LSU

More of an upside guy, but won't have to start right away with Revis in the fold.

4. Porter Gustin, DE/OLB  USC

Another option to go with Tanoh at OLB.

6. J'Mon Moore, WR  Missouri

Upgrade along the depth.

7. Jordan Thomas, CB  Oklahoma

Will have a sunk stock with a bad senior year, but I think he's worth a gamble.

7.  David Bright, OL  Stanford

Replaces Captain Subpar

7.  Ethan Wolf, TE  Tennessee

Ross Travis and Orson Charles are poor options as the blocking TE.

Why would Washington give up a 3rd for a 1-year rental instead of paying Cousins? Also Ford has a 8.7 million $ contract for a year that no team would give up a pick to inherit. If the offer is rescinded I believe the Chiefs will get a 4th or 5th through comp. picks though. However I doubt Chiefs will start two rookies at DL so assuming they won't be retaining both Bailey and Logan the logical move is to keep Bailey and let Logan leave via FA or sign him to a 1-year deal. 

Why would Washington give up a 3rd for a 1-year rental instead of paying Cousins? Also Ford has a 8.7 million $ contract for a year that no team would give up a pick to inherit. If the offer is rescinded I believe the Chiefs will get a 4th or 5th through comp. picks though. However I doubt Chiefs will start two rookies at DL so assuming they won't be retaining both Bailey and Logan the logical move is to keep Bailey and let Logan leave via FA or sign him to a 1-year deal.

They've had 3 years to sign Cousins and he's still due to be a FA. Franchise tagging will cost them 34 mil and he's not worth that. He will be transition tagged and somebody else will offer a contract that Washington won't be able to match.

Whoa, a college kid drinking and partying in college, that’s so uncommon

There's a difference between having a party and spiking a football at your opponent before the game starts. He's a well-known asshat with not ideal size and an average arm.

They've had 3 years to sign Cousins and he's still due to be a FA. Franchise tagging will cost them 34 mil and he's not worth that. He will be transition tagged and somebody else will offer a contract that Washington won't be able to match.

There's a difference between having a party and spiking a football at your opponent before the game starts. He's a well-known asshat with not ideal size and an average arm.

Mayfield has to mature but he's carried a very young OU team with a rookie coach within one game of the college football playoff. He's being compared skill wise to Drew Brees that's going to likely be very good at the next level.

I don't know that there's really Dee Ford hate exactly, but he was 23 his first season here. He played at a major school in a major conference, so there was some expectation that he would be somewhat NFL ready. His career sack numbers are a little misleading because half of them came in a 27 day stretch last year when he went on a hot streak for 4 games. He's not exactly young anymore (26) and we haven't got what you'd expect from a first round edge rusher. That doesn't seem to be a position that has as high of a bust probability.

I don't know that there's really Dee Ford hate exactly, but he was 23 his first season here. He played at a major school in a major conference, so there was some expectation that he would be somewhat NFL ready. His career sack numbers are a little misleading because half of them came in a 27 day stretch last year when he went on a hot streak for 4 games. He's not exactly young anymore (26) and we haven't got what you'd expect from a first round edge rusher. That doesn't seem to be a position that has as high of a bust probability.

He's got almost no chance to ever be a legit 3-4 OLB. But he could still carve out an decent career as a a subpackage pass rusher if this back thing isn't too bad. We will just call him overall disappointing.for sure. We'd be a different defense is he was legit.

I can't imagine us trading back into the first round for a guard. But we definitely need to be drafting some interior linemen that pan out in the next year or two.

Wtf is up with Ehringer. To fit our line I would look at Boone Myers, 310 plus pounds who has played multiple positions at Iowa but mostly LG. Pro style offense that pulls a lot and they are coached by former offensive line guy, Brian Ferentz,who also did so with NE as a player and coach plus Ferentz coacherd line in the NFL. Iowa guys seem to do really well and we may get him in the mid rounds.

All Mayfield does is win though. I'm watching that OU team tonight and itheh start a freshman RB and WR around him. He's got to be one of those guys you hate when he's not on your team but his teammates love him. We realistically could draft a QB in the mid rounds again next year and he's going before that so really not our issue either way.

Mayfield iis a hell of a player.  Mobile, accurate, strong arm, poised...  He should go in the 2nd.

Mayfield iis a hell of a player.  Mobile, accurate, strong arm, poised...  He should go in the 2nd.

For what its worth I usually start to dislike the top QBs the more I watch. Another big reason I loved the Mahomes II pick because the more I watched, the more I actually liked. Likewise I'm pretty convinced if he can mature that Mayfield is going to be a good pro. I would not like it if the Broncos got a hold of him.

I could give two shits about next year at this point ..

Understand your point but this is part of the reason I watch college football. Eye test for prospective draft picks. Always seems viable even if you're still focused on this season.

Understand your point but this is part of the reason I watch college football. Eye test for prospective draft picks. Always seems viable even if you're still focused on this season.

Damn Ive never been MORE focused on next year in my entire life as a Chiefs fan. And we endured a 1-15 season not too lobg ago.

I never stop thinking about the offseason and what kind of moves we might make. I feel bad for anyone who is so locked in on the now that they cant look ahead soone. Because THIS team...isnt raising any trophies. Unless they start handing them out for biggest collapses.

I do too. Just wait until offseason to talk about it.

Archived