AJ GREEN

Oh come on

You should know that Alex wouldn't even consider throwing those 50/50 balls that AJ Green thrives off of.

If this past week is anything to go by, Smith throws 80/20 balls. As kids we threw 50/50 balls playing Three Flies Up. 50/50 balls are the domain of inferior quarterbacks, not superior quarterbacks. 

There was the graphics saying that Dalton had 32 interceptions when throwing to Green and 44 touchdowns. Not all of those interceptions lead to points and not all of them took away points. All the touchdowns scored. So take it for what it's worth. Of course, not all of Green's touchdowns were 50-50 balls.

Does Green become available in two years and if so, is his ability the same? By that point, Mahomes should have some experience. Not saying he needs that exactly for Green, but it couldn't hurt. I said two years because that's what I thought he had left on his contract. I'm not implying anything about the quarterbacks.

If this past week is anything to go by, Smith throws 80/20 balls. As kids we threw 50/50 balls playing Three Flies Up. 50/50 balls are the domain of inferior quarterbacks, not superior quarterbacks.

That's better than 90/10 but my instinct is to want 70/30. There would obviously be times where 50-50 is better or desperate situations where you just go with the 10/90.

That's better than 90/10 but my instinct is to want 70/30. There would obviously be times where 50-50 is better or desperate situations where you just go with the 10/90.

I was merely referencing Smith's actual completion percentage. The ideal is to throw the ball where only the receiver can get it. A receiver like Green would give more margin for error because the combination of route-running, agility, body control and positioning, and hands all favor the quarterback.

Whether or not the 50/50 ball is the best ball to throw depends purely on the situation itself: It's better to throw a 50/50 ball on 4th-and-12 when down 6 points with less than 2 minutes to play and there are no timeouts left. Even then, the pass attempt itself involves very little actual skill; it's a ball that all of the league's QB3's can all throw.

I'm sure the 70/30 reference involved perceived aggressiveness or conservatism. Again, situation determines what is best. I don't care if Smith is averaging 4 yards and 2 distance yard per pass attempt if his offense is constantly moving the chains on 3rd down, his team is in the lead, and the pass attempts themselves are merely for the sake of burning the clock: That's winning football. It also prevents defensive players from being on the field to get injured, something the Chiefs evidently have problems with.

Archived