2017 Trends So Far...

Is it just me or is anyone else notice saying that it seems like the first two weeks have the fewest passing touchdowns in a long time. Smith and Stafford lead the league last week with four, with Bradford getting three. Simone had four today. Brady and Carr had three this week and I don't think anyone else had three. Brees only had one, Rodgers doesn't have any yet, Falcons have 34 points already but only one passing touchdown, and everyone else seems to be down.

I just noticed that the Strength of Victory for the NFC West and the AFC East is .000. We're into the season by only two weeks, but for eight teams together to have not even one win against a team that isn't thus far winless. I'm unclear on how frequently it occurs that two or more divisions have such a distinction.

AFC West is seemingly the cream of the crop.....if the Bolts had a kicker, they would be in the thick of it.

w

Wouldn't be surprising to see both wild cards come from the AFC West.  If each team takes care of business, they will probably tack two losses on each other but win the vast majority of the games played out of the division.  Could look like 11-5, 11-5, 10-6, 8-8.  Aside from NE and PIT, what other teams would you pick to go 10-6 or better?

The Chargers are no pushovers, either.  They lost both of their games by missing last minute field goals that should have been routine.  To Diehard's point:  The rest of the conference is so weak that the AFC West can beat each other up and still have good records.  For example, KC, DEN, and OAK could all split with each and go 4-2 in the division and 7-3 outside of it.  Yeah, it's way too early to project, but until some other team like BAL or MIA shows they can win ten or eleven games. I'll go with three from the West.

The Chargers are no pushovers, either.  They lost both of their games by missing last minute field goals that should have been routine.  To Diehard's point:  The rest of the conference is so weak that the AFC West can beat each other up and still have good records.  For example, KC, DEN, and OAK could all split with each and go 4-2 in the division and 7-3 outside of it.  Yeah, it's way too early to project, but until some other team like BAL or MIA shows they can win ten or eleven games. I'll go with three from the West.

Baltimore is good enough on D to win that many games.  The question is if they can keep Flacco upright without their all-pro Guard,  Without Flacco they are a winless squad.

This is not a trend, of course because there's only one game, but what's going on?

http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951579

1.6 yards per pass for Flacco? I've never seen that from him of course and I don't think I've seen it from our quarterbacks. Two interceptions? Whatever, it's the YPA that's surprising. I didn't know Jacksonville was that good defensively.

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a trend, but Tampa Bay has missed three field goals against the Pats in a game that they are trailing 16 to 7. I haven't seen how close the field goals were, but at least one of them was close. As I always say, you can't settle for missed field goals, you have to score touchdowns. ;)

This is not a trend, but Tampa Bay has missed three field goals against the Pats in a game that they are trailing 16 to 7. I haven't seen how close the field goals were, but at least one of them was close. As I always say, you can't settle for missed field goals, you have to score touchdowns. ;)

How long before Cairo Santos is a Buc?

Baltimore is good enough on D to win that many games.  The question is if they can keep Flacco upright without their all-pro Guard,  Without Flacco they are a winless squad.

Lets hope BAL is good enough to beat a Carr-less Oakland.  Where's Handswarmer been hiding out?

Just looking at the trends over the last few years more DBs are getting drafted early on and getting paid. Teams are defending the pass so a switch to the old style is somewhat important. Also there are fewer featured backs and using a committee helps teams get fresh players for various tasks hence encouraging the run. 

I would be surprised if we keep Butker over Santos (I'm kind of neutral on if that's good/bad, just assessing what Reid & Veach would do), but TB would definitely pick up Butker I think.

Why would the Chiefs bring back Santos? He is more expensive, his kickoffs suck compared to Butker and Butker seems very confident and hasn't given the Chiefs a reason not to trust him. Can't get too much more clutch than what he did Monday night.

Why would the Chiefs bring back Santos? He is more expensive, his kickoffs suck compared to Butker and Butker seems very confident and hasn't given the Chiefs a reason not to trust him. Can't get too much more clutch than what he did Monday night.

Because Butker is a rookie and missed his first FG that could have swung the game?  Again, I'm not saying it would be the right decision, it's just the decision most front offices would make.

I understand however, Hunt as a rookie, fumbled on his first carry as well.

Sample size.  We drafted Hunt, saw him in camp and preseason, and then he dominated the rest of that game.  We're seeing Butker on this team for the first time this week, and he only made 2/3 FGs, although one was clutch.

Because Butker is a rookie and missed his first FG that could have swung the game? Again, I'm not saying it would be the right decision, it's just the decision most front offices would make.

I want him to make the rest of the field goals, but it ended up maybe helping us? They would've had to go for a touchdown or at least a third down conversion or fourth down conversion if they were down by six. But being down by three they went for the field-goal instead. Hindsight luck, maybe we would've stopped them from scoring the touchdown? And maybe we score a TD, but either way, glad we did not force them to go for the touchdown and then them getting it.

I want him to make the rest of the field goals, but it ended up maybe helping us? They would've had to go for a touchdown or at least a third down conversion or fourth down conversion if they were down by six. But being down by three they went for the field-goal instead. Hindsight luck, maybe we would've stop them from scoring the touchdown? And maybe we score a TD, but either way, glad we did not force them to go for the touchdown and then them getting it.

Yeah, I agree with this.  But I don't think it makes a difference re: Butker vs. Santos.

So apparently a two touchdown game with over 70% completion and 7.9 yards per attempt game (San Diego) is worse than this: http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951655

It's all about the sacks, I guess. Seriously, five interceptions and two of them being pick sixes doesn't make the rating lower? I guess because the game was never close it didn't matter?

Archived