Kareem Hunt: Jackpot!

Kareem Hunt again shows the full range of his talents

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Statistically, the second game of Kareem Hunt's NFL career has to be considered a letdown when compared with the first. Hunt accounted for 109 yards from scrimmage, down from 246, and he scored twice, as opposed to three times from his debut, as the Kansas City Chiefs beat the Philadelphia Eagles 27-20.

Artistically, Hunt put on every bit as much of an impressive show. Hunt displayed his full range of talents on Sunday, making several defenders miss on a 16-yard pass reception early in the game, outrunning the Eagles to score a 53-yard touchdown in the third quarter and then running over defenders to score a 2-yard touchdown in the final period.

"Some speed, some power," Hunt said. "I pride myself on being a balanced running back."

He’s proved himself to be that in his first two NFL games. The Eagles had him well contained for most of the first three quarters. Until his long touchdown run, Hunt had just 8 yards on seven carries.

But as he did in his debut a week earlier against the New England Patriots, Hunt saved his best for the game’s final minutes. He wound up rushing 13 times for 81 yards.

"I thought Kareem and the offensive line kind of got warmed up as we went," coach Andy Reid said. “We weren’t having a ton of production in that first half with the run game ... We got it straightened out, the offensive line kept coming and [the Chiefs and Hunt] ended up doing a nice job with it. It was important."

Hunt used the ball as a pillow and pretended to nap in the end zone after his second touchdown. It wasn’t intended as art, he said, but to send a message.

"Stop sleeping on me," Hunt said. "That’s what I want everybody to know."

Moving forward, he’s going to be impossible to ignore.

Ware's injury was a blessing in disguise. I was really high on Hunt after seeing his tape in college. Critics were very skeptical about his size and speed. 

He has all the capabilities of being a perennial pro-bowler if he stays healthy. His knack, vision, and lower center of gravity is incredible. 

This will end up being a memorable draft in Chiefs history.

and oddly enough  the one after Dorsey got fired.. Pioli wasn't that bad of a talent evaluater either..but there is more to the GM job than just that and it seems they were seriously lacking in the other skills

and oddly enough  the one after Dorsey got fired.. Pioli wasn't that bad of a talent evaluater either..but there is more to the GM job than just that and it seems they were seriously lacking in the other skills

Dorsey did a great job of getting talent into KC, both in the draft and via free agency.  Maclin has six catches for 87 yd. and two TDs in BAL but the Chiefs didn't need him as much as they needed cap space.  Give Dorsey for bringing in Ware, Schwartz, Logan and a lot of others that played roles in the winning seasons.  Drafting, except for Ford, KieVarae Russell, and Knile Davis, has been solid with Jones, Morse, Hunt, and Ehinger being players not on most fans' radar.  The Chiefs may miss Dorsey's touch when it comes to talent evaluation.

Dorsey and Reid certainly consulted along with Veach and others, but the final responsibility rests on Dorsey and he gets the blame and/or credit for the player moves.  The Chiefs were  terrible before Dorsey got here and now they have plenty of talent with young players waiting to step in.  An incredible turnaround. 

I think we have to give Reid and his staff a A+ for Skills Coaching as well.

Cast offs become Players in KC.

w

It may mostly be coaching, but some of it is the players already here.  It's easier to play better when surrounded by good players.  They cover some mistakes, block better, teach and encourage, and have a winning attitude.  I'd guess free agents wouldn't mind coming to play for the Chiefs right now.

Archived