As the Kelce Turns...

Another 15 yarder...  No big deal right??  Pretty sure this is the 3rd game in a row now going back to the playoff loss to pitsburgh.   He is only making this harder on himself, As teams are going to keep working him for the reaction.  

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs have done this dance with Travis Kelce before. He was one of their most indispensable players in Sunday’s 27-20 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles at Arrowhead Stadium, catching a 44-yard pass from Alex Smith on Kansas City’s opening field goal drive and then later leaping into the end zone to complete a spectacular 15-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter.

But he almost cost them the game, too. He received a penalty for taunting the Eagles’ bench after Kareem Hunt scored a touchdown that put the Chiefs ahead in the third quarter. The Eagles used the favorable field position to drive for a tying field goal.

That was on top of his taunting penalty in last week’s game against the New England Patriots, and others in previous seasons. His most over-the-top penalty came last season when he was tossed out of a game against the Jacksonville Jaguars for throwing a towel at an official who didn’t make a call Kelce believed he deserved.

Kelce wouldn’t address the matter after the game. Coach Andy Reid had some words for Kelce on the sideline after his penalty but few after the game.

“He’s got to learn," Reid said.

Travis Kelce dazzled with a diving touchdown against the Eagles. His taunting penalty later in the game almost cost the Chiefs the game. AP Photo/Charlie Riedel

That left Smith to speak for the Chiefs about the Kelce dilemma. Kelce does a lot for the Chiefs, but he doesn’t seem to learn from his lack of discipline.

“We love the passion around here," Smith said. “We talk a lot about having personality and letting the personality show, playing with passion and enjoying what you do. He’s a guy that plays with a ton of passion. Certainly, the touchdown was an example of that.

“You’ve seen times the last two weeks where it’s gotten the better of him, so it’s a balance. I’m not trying to eliminate any of that passion and that will, that hunger. He’s just got to be smart at times because it could end up costing you for sure."

Kelce, though, made the two spectacular plays. He caught the back end of the ball on his 44-yard reception early in the game.

On his touchdown, he took a shovel pass from Smith and leaped over a defender after going airborne at about the 5.

“I failed to hurdle a guy two plays before that so I just dusted myself off and tried it again," Kelce said.

Smith was more impressed.

“To go airborne like that, to find a way to get into the end zone I thought was crazy," he said. “Didn’t necessarily think he was going to get in. Just a heck of a play. A lot of will with a heck of a lot of talent."

In typical Kelce fashion, he risked a penalty by flapping his arms afterward, Eagles-style. He might have saved himself by veering away from the Philadelphia sideline, showing unforeseen discipline in doing so.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-city-chiefs/post/_/id/22399/chiefs-again-see-the-best-and-worst-of-travis-kelce

Archived