I must admit

Alex Smith has thoroughly impressed me. He is exceptional when he has time to throw. I think you can say this about most qb's of course. Through all of the poor oline play over the years he still rarely makes mistakes. Give him time and I truly think he can win the super bowl for KC. He is getting better as he gets older.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex Smith has thoroughly impressed me. He is exceptional when he has time to throw. I think you can say this about most qb's of course. Through all of the poor oline play over the years he still rarely makes mistakes. Give him time and I truly think he can win the super bowl for KC. He is getting better as he gets older.

Welcome to Team Rational.

The knock on Smith has been his clutch performances in big games, which is more of a mental issue rather than physical. Considering that he has been a lot better this year at QB I'm hoping that issue is not as bad as it used to be. I think the Steelers game will be a great indication of where we stand in terms of Smith in the playoffs. 

The knock on Smith has been his clutch performances in big games, which is more of a mental issue rather than physical. Considering that he has been a lot better this year at QB I'm hoping that issue is not as bad as it used to be. I think the Steelers game will be a great indication of where we stand in terms of Smith in the playoffs. 

Four TD's against the Colts wasn't enough? Or two fourth-quarter comebacks in 2011? How about a playoff game where two of the three phases truly show up?

The Steelers game was bad. But if it weren't for that stupid hold call, we would've gone to overtime on the back of the Endzone to point conversion. Ben could have then lead a last-second field goal, but if not, maybe something happens in OT. I'm not saying he is clutch, but it's not like he hasn't ever been.

I'll just throw this out there: Pretty much every team in the NFL knows that the Chiefs' offensive line can't consistently block a quality four-man rush for three seconds. Therefore, defenses are working at covering the short and short-intermediate routes well, and when the defense plays the correct scheme for the offensive play selected, Smith has to hold the ball for two-and-a-half seconds. By then, the pocket is collapsed, the throwing lanes are shot, and Smith doesn't have the time to hit the player(s) who by now should be getting open deep.

I've never argued that Smith doesn't make mistakes. He's human, and if he gets beat up in the pocket, he'll start missing reads and making terrible throws a la Brady in 2014 or Rodgers in 2016. Consistently give him time in the pocket (like other "great" quarterbacks consistently get during their "great" years), and Smith will do his part to move the chains. Hall of Fame Head Coach Bill Walsh was very clear about his expectations that his offensive line consistently give their quarterback three seconds to throw. Failing that, the West Coast Offense simply doesn't meet its potential.

Four TD's against the Colts wasn't enough? Or two fourth-quarter comebacks in 2011? How about a playoff game where two of the three phases truly show up?

The Colts game is a pretty good example. He had 4 TDs in 32 minutes and couldn't even manage a single good drive in the second half (aka clutch), and the last throw to Bowe was just terrible both as a play and execution. It was a very raw team that got a lot of breaks over the season so might be due to the staff around him as well since besides the OL the remaining offense was terrible (Charles was out). 

Don't know about his pre-Chiefs career as much since I didn't watch him so extensively but ever since he came to KC he has shown flashes of very good clutch performances (just like last year's Chragers game) but also failed to deliver in major games over his career. I think the change in the start of this season is promising going forward but we'll see.

The Steelers game was bad. But if it weren't for that stupid hold call, we would've gone to overtime on the back of the Endzone to point conversion. Ben could have then lead a last-second field goal, but if not, maybe something happens in OT. I'm not saying he is clutch, but it's not like he hasn't ever been.

Not allowing them to score any TDs was huge so it was always a close game but that call still angers me. I'm not saying Smith is always terrible in clutch, he just failed to deliver in clutch during major games. 

The Colts game is a pretty good example. He had 4 TDs in 32 minutes and couldn't even manage a single good drive in the second half (aka clutch), and the last throw to Bowe was just terrible both as a play and execution. It was a very raw team that got a lot of breaks over the season so might be due to the staff around him as well since besides the OL the remaining offense was terrible (Charles was out). 

Don't know about his pre-Chiefs career as much since I didn't watch him so extensively but ever since he came to KC he has shown flashes of very good clutch performances (just like last year's Chragers game) but also failed to deliver in major games over his career. I think the change in the start of this season is promising going forward but we'll see.

Some people have an odd way of defining "clutch". Most NFL defenses can prevent a team from scoring two points for every minute the opposing offense in on the field. So, no, it's ludicrous to attack a quarterback who was responsible for the 44 points his team did score. Smith was great that game, but the Chiefs were bounced from the playoffs because the defense was worthless.

I think Smith is a hell of a good QB when he has good protection. I also think he really struggles with bailing out of the picket and with throwing on the run. He rolls to his right and almost always throws it away. Better than a pick, but he should be able to complete an occasional pass when rolling out.

If he stands in and keeps going through his progression with his eyes down the field, he could improve his performance under pressure. Also, he he scrambles, scramble down hill instead of to the right.

I don't love him or hate him. Just what I see from him. I am very glad he is here. He is a good QB.

Mahomes Effect is working well. Good to have competition at the position. The QB position is an area of strength on this team for the first time in years.

I don't think it really is the Mahomes Effect. I think it is a contract year effect. I know he has one more year left but he knows it also the next years not guaranteed. Obviously, drafting someone who is competent behind him has more effect than drafting someone in the fifth round, but I'm not ready to give the whole credit to Mahomes. I don't think Smith was ever comfortable to the point of not trying. I think he believed in winning in one way. I hope for this year that he pushes it and understands where the bigger plays can help, not just academically because of course he understands that.

Don't get me wrong, I will have no hesitation to give Mahomes credit for winning games, playing well, and winning the Super Bowl when we do. I just think that there are other motivations out there for Smith. Even before we drafted anyone.

And when Smith plays well, I'm willing to give credit to Hunt, Hilll, Reidd, Oline, etc. So I really don't care how it gets there. I hope we continue to play well.

PIT just lost to the Bears, how are they any type of measuring stick?  They also beat CLE by 3 and beat MIN w/a back up QB in.

Beating NE on the road by 14 points and a great game of Smith doesn't give us any indication?

Alex gets credit for the wins not Mahomes. If Mahomes isn't breathing down his neck we'd still be seeing dink & dunk and trying not to lose. He has to fight for his job and as a Chiefs fan I love it. Alex is a smart man nobody had to tell him this. Hope Alex leads us to a Super Bowl victory. 

Alex gets credit for the wins not Mahomes. If Mahomes isn't breathing down his neck we'd still be seeing dink & dunk and trying not to lose. He has to fight for his job and as a Chiefs fan I love it. Alex is a smart man nobody had to tell him this. Hope Alex leads us to a Super Bowl victory. 

Bingo!

Not allowing them to score any TDs was huge so it was always a close game but that call still angers me. I'm not saying Smith is always terrible in clutch, he just failed to deliver in clutch during major games. 

it takes players to make the QB look clutch

that 4th q drive brady executed to beat the texans was typical brady... clutch... but he always and I mean ALWAYS has receivers that make unbelievable catches for him. smith doesn't have that luxury

of course smith ain't no brady, but we don't need him to be...

alex smith mvp2017. heard it here first.

Not going to happen. The sports writers responsible for selecting the league's Most Valuable Player base their decisions primarily on stats for the current year and the player's legacy. Even if Smith has one of the league's best seasons statistically, all of the good he does that shows up primarily on tape rather than in his stats gets ignored.

Cam Newton was an MVP; most of the writers couldn't see that he was the beneficiary of a system that leveraged his athleticism first, and his quarterbacking ability second. When it comes to MVP's, exciting trumps effective.

Some people have an odd way of defining "clutch". Most NFL defenses can prevent a team from scoring two points for every minute the opposing offense in on the field. So, no, it's ludicrous to attack a quarterback who was responsible for the 44 points his team did score. Smith was great that game, but the Chiefs were bounced from the playoffs because the defense was worthless.

Most of those points came in the first half when Smith was very comfortable behind a great OL performance with no defender touching him. He has always been fine under those circumstances. Clutch was the second half when Smith or the offense couldn't deliver. Defensive turnovers had a major role in the high scoring as well since the average starting position for our offense was the opponent's half of the field which isn't really the defense losing the game, offense couldn't keep them off the field at all in the second half which was a major factor. The entire offense starting from Smith caved in and were basically zombies.

Overall the entire team was raw and bad. The fixture helped a lot but I don't think Smith was nowhere near a decent clutch QB back then. I think last year's playoff loss to the Steelers was a better clutch performance than the Colts game. We didn't win or score a TD when needed but we at least got in a position to score one and it was a tougher opponent by all measures. 

PIT just lost to the Bears, how are they any type of measuring stick?  They also beat CLE by 3 and beat MIN w/a back up QB in.

Beating NE on the road by 14 points and a great game of Smith doesn't give us any indication?

Regardless of their situation they always seem to come up big against us. If I'm not mistaken the last comfortable game we played against them was back when Crennel was filling time until the end of the season.

Archived