I must admit

alex smith mvp2017. heard it here first.

If he was on some other team or had a different name I could see that happening but I doubt the media gives him that much love. Obviously a rookie RB breaking records is more important news for them but still there's almost no recognition for Smith. Even Goff is getting more love. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't Alex at one time have Bowe, Breaston and another WR that started with a B to throw to? I thought with those wrs along with JC it was a formula for some downfield action. It shouldn't take Mahomes breathing down his neck to step up his game...if it's here now..it was there then in my opinion.

Didn't Alex at one time have Bowe, Breaston and another WR that started with a B to throw to? I thought with those wrs along with JC it was a formula for some downfield action. It shouldn't take Mahomes breathing down his neck to step up his game...if it's here now..it was there then in my opinion.

Breaston didn't play with Smith, I think you are referring to Avery who was a decent deep ball threat and Smith did connect with him in some nice throws.

It's one of the reasons players don't like playing in KC, small market players get very little love unless they do something they can't ignore. Mediocrity is rewarded in big market coastal areas.

Maybe poor weather and in the middle of nowhere is also a factor.

Breaston didn't play with Smith, I think you are referring to Avery who was a decent deep ball threat and Smith did connect with him in some nice throws.

Except that Avery was terrible as a WR1. He was targeted on all three of Smith's interceptions in the week one game Bowe missed because of a drug suspension. Fortunately, that event also let the Chiefs get out of the Bowe contract.

The receiver corps Smith has now may be the best he's ever had. (Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Davis, Walker, and Gore in 2012 were solid for their experience, but Hill, Conley, Kelce, and Hunt have talent where they lack experience.)

Except that Avery was terrible as a WR1. He was targeted on all three of Smith's interceptions in the week one game Bowe missed because of a drug suspension. Fortunately, that event also let the Chiefs get out of the Bowe contract.

The receiver corps Smith has now may be the best he's ever had. (Crabtree, Moss, Manningham, Davis, Walker, and Gore in 2012 were solid for their experience, but Hill, Conley, Kelce, and Hunt have talent where they lack experience.)

I think Wilson reminds me of Avery the most. Flashy deep threat guy who only helps out when he's the low profile guy. Avery might have been a decent #3 Chiefs expected a lot more from him. However we had a terrible WR group back then, even Jenkins was our "talented" youngster 

I think Wilson reminds me of Avery the most. Flashy deep threat guy who only helps out when he's the low profile guy. Avery might have been a decent #3 Chiefs expected a lot more from him. However we had a terrible WR group back then, even Jenkins was our "talented" youngster

Yet he's never caught a deep ball.

I have a colleague from Cleveland who's not really a Browns fan but still follows them. He says the city wouldn't mind giving up an early pick for a guy like Smith just to watch the team win some games. Might not be all that serious but I can see the Browns giving up a major pick to get some stability at the position. They can afford it and have a bunch of high picks to work with. 

I have a colleague from Cleveland who's not really a Browns fan but still follows them. He says the city wouldn't mind giving up an early pick for a guy like Smith just to watch the team win some games. Might not be all that serious but I can see the Browns giving up a major pick to get some stability at the position. They can afford it and have a bunch of high picks to work with. 

I think Kizer given some support will do them just fine. I think they have a QB they can build around

Meh i read that. Alex's downfield throws are closer to the receiver. He's opening himself up to possible int's more but that's what you have to do to connect downfield consistently. We'll see if he keeps it up. My opinion is that Alex gonna Alex.

Meh i read that. Alex's downfield throws are closer to the receiver. He's opening himself up to possible int's more but that's what you have to do to connect downfield consistently. We'll see if he keeps it up. My opinion is that Alex gonna Alex.

I'm not totally sure at what you're getting at, I think you and I both agree with the article.  The point of the article is that Alex really had just a couple of throws in the NE game that weren't Alex type of throws.  Since then he's been full Alex and all that entails, for better or worse.  But the team around him is making him look really good for now.

I'm not totally sure at what you're getting at, I think you and I both agree with the article. The point of the article is that Alex really had just a couple of throws in the NE game that weren't Alex type of throws. Since then he's been full Alex and all that entails, for better or worse. But the team around him is making him look really good for now.

Helps when you have Tyreek making guys look like fools.

I'm not totally sure at what you're getting at, I think you and I both agree with the article.  The point of the article is that Alex really had just a couple of throws in the NE game that weren't Alex type of throws.  Since then he's been full Alex and all that entails, for better or worse.  But the team around him is making him look really good for now.

Maybe Alex (and Andy) are taking just enough chances to win.  Had to make big plays to stay with NE, less so with PHL and the Chargers.  As long as there's no turnovers, the Chiefs don't need the big play as often.  So far, it's worked out well.  The test will be when they trail late in a game and Alex need to take deeper, riskier throws.  With Hill and Hunt, he has a chance.  Will he take it?

Maybe Alex (and Andy) are taking just enough chances to win.  Had to make big plays to stay with NE, less so with PHL and the Chargers.  As long as there's no turnovers, the Chiefs don't need the big play as often.  So far, it's worked out well.  The test will be when they trail late in a game and Alex need to take deeper, riskier throws.  With Hill and Hunt, he has a chance.  Will he take it?

That seems like an optimistic perspective.  Alex has shown that he can only hit that switch every now and then, like in the Chargers comeback in the opener last year.  Plus, if you're not regularly doing something, it's hard to flip that switch when it's time.

That seems like an optimistic perspective. Alex has shown that he can only hit that switch every now and then, like in the Chargers comeback in the opener last year. Plus, if you're not regularly doing something, it's hard to flip that switch when it's time.

Also, most his big plays come early.

When trailing, we rarely see the big plays.

Archived