Every time I see Deshuan Watson

I can't help but wonder how on earth Pat will turn out for us. Deshaun is doing great things for the Texans right now. And yes, I know Pat has a totally different style to him, but it just seems like these young QB's are stepping up quicker than ever these days. Deshuan has that "Cam" vibe about him with his running ability and presence on the ball. With Pat though we really don't know what we're gonna get, do we? Some compare him to Favre, others to Rodgers. He's got more to his game than Deshuan imo as Pat can put that thing way down the field, he can improvise on the fly and make spectacular throws. And when he wants to he can use his legs. But Deshuan just looks so comfortable at the moment and will only get better with more experience.

Will we regret not going for Watson? Well, it's up to Pat to ensure that we don't. I would love to see him get some game time this season, but as long as we're doing well, that's not likely to happen. So next year could be crazy because If/When Alex goes we might have two rookie QB's battling for that number one spot. 

Teams don't know much about the rookie QBs and they are mostly afterthoughts, therefore QBs like Watson or RG3 have the chance to catch the opponent off-guard. It won't be as easy once they start adjusting to him.

So far I like what I've seen from Watson. He has a winning attitude which makes an important difference, but we'll have to see if he's the next Newton or RG3. Mobility is very important but the QB must be able to make things happen with his arm rather than his legs in most cases, otherwise the shelf life is very short. 

I think Mahomes will be a different type of QB. The reports had him as the next Favre in terms of arm talent but he looked more like Rodgers in preseason, which is a lot better IMO considering our offensive scheme. I think the focus should be getting a solid franchise QB out of him rather than comparisons to Watson. 

Teams don't know much about the rookie QBs and they are mostly afterthoughts, therefore QBs like Watson or RG3 have the chance to catch the opponent off-guard. It won't be as easy once they start adjusting to him.

So far I like what I've seen from Watson. He has a winning attitude which makes an important difference, but we'll have to see if he's the next Newton or RG3. Mobility is very important but the QB must be able to make things happen with his arm rather than his legs in most cases, otherwise the shelf life is very short. 

I think Mahomes will be a different type of QB. The reports had him as the next Favre in terms of arm talent but he looked more like Rodgers in preseason, which is a lot better IMO considering our offensive scheme. I think the focus should be getting a solid franchise QB out of him rather than comparisons to Watson. 

I compare him to Watson simply because we had a chance to get Watson and chose Pat instead. If Watson continues in this vain whilst Pat remains on the bench, then of course questions will have to be asked. I sure hope Pat really does have some Rodgers about him. It would really take this team to a new level for many years to come.

give it a few more games.  this always happens with a new Qb.  there's no tape on him and the team runs a different scheme catching a lot of teams off guard.

he's also blown up against 2 pretty bad defenses.  I know people were high on the Titans this year, but the fact is they just are not very good.

Pats defense is just awful.

Chiefs got the right kid. The big difference is we have other options and the texans don't.

Watson's ceiling is alex smith. That's not bad. Mahomes ceiling is a steve young/favre/aaron rodgers sort of combo.

I will say the floor is lower for Mahomes but i would have made the same decision.

I compare him to Watson simply because we had a chance to get Watson and chose Pat instead. If Watson continues in this vain whilst Pat remains on the bench, then of course questions will have to be asked. I sure hope Pat really does have some Rodgers about him. It would really take this team to a new level for many years to come.

Watson would also remain on the bench if he was a Chief.

Chiefs got the right kid. The big difference is we have other options and the texans don't.

Watson's ceiling is alex smith. That's not bad. Mahomes ceiling is a steve young/favre/aaron rodgers sort of combo.

I will say the floor is lower for Mahomes but i would have made the same decision.

Could you elaborate on that Xen? What makes you so confident about Pat? I have high hopes for the kid aswell but I do worry about the footwork issues and some of his mechanics with his throws. 

Could you elaborate on that Xen? What makes you so confident about Pat? I have high hopes for the kid aswell but I do worry about the footwork issues and some of his mechanics with his throws.

Physical tools. Arm strength, mobility, throwing on the run. You name it.

Both of those things are somewhat overblown. This kid was on my radar for quite a while before kc drafted him and several of us in this forum were wanting kc to trade up for him.

I saw this kid consistently make accurate throws with bad footwork in college. When you have his kind of arm strength you can do that. The kid can make those brett favre oh no throws across his body to the other side of the field that normal qb's can't. But he also throws with touch and can lay it in with finesse, which is something most strong armed qb's never learn.

And in only 3 months with andy his footwork looked night and day better.

Most of his mechanical issues were related to footwork.

But on top of all that, he does things almost no qb's coming out of college do. Like going through all of his progressions. I mean consistently. Alex still rarely does that.

Or keeping his eyes downfield when he scrambles. Alex still doesn't do that. Mahomes is looking for a receiver for a big gain, and he has the arm to get it there while throwing at bad angles. Alex is looking for positive yardage with his feet. That's fine but it also defines the difference in their mentalities.

What Mahomes has to learn is when he can trust his arm and when to take the loss. That will be gained by playing.

I believe the kid is a fast learner though. If he can take the good things from Alex's game, like how to manage a game when you have a good defense, he can be a next level qb.

So yeah I'm excited to see this kid play. But that can wait until next year. This year is Alex's to show that he can take things from Mahomes' game. So far he has.

Btw if it wasn't for the NFL's bias against the tech offense (deserved bias, but still) Mahomes would have gone first overall.

But that offense changed greatly once Mahomes got his sea legs.

Tech started mixing in a lot of Pro passing concepts so his college tape has a lot of that.

Plus he has the best coach in the NFL to exploit spread concepts. This triple option shovel pass is just the tip of the iceberg. Andy has been preparing for a college spread qb since he got to kc. Why you think he hired Childress to specifically study the college spread game. Childress did only that for his first 3 years in KC.

I don't think you let the performance of another team's player affect your plan. There are no guaranty' but we have a good talent and a good plan. That hasn't changed. Watson may go on to win as many Super Bowls as Cam or RG3 and I am OK with that.

I don't think you let the performance of another team's player affect your plan. There are no guaranty' but we have a good talent and a good plan. That hasn't changed. Watson may go on to win as many Super Bowls as Cam or RG3 and I am OK with that.

lol. Nice. I see what u did there.

We have the best QB situation in the NFL. If we had to go with Mahomes, no drop off. It's still Alex's team right now and I hope he continues to play well.

I don't agree on the "no dropoff" comment, as all QBs have growing pains, but I will say he's a hard worker, talented, has a great coach for him, great supporting cast, good running back who can catch, learns fast, etc. There will be gains that outweigh many of the pains, but there's still stuff to learn. Best QB situation in the league.

I won't agree on the "no dropoff" comment, as all WBs have growing pains, but I will say he's a hard worker, talented, has a great coach for him, great supporting cast, good running back who can catch, learns fast, etc. There will be gains that outweigh many of the pains, but there's still stuff to learn. Best QB situation in the league.

Second half of the Patriots game, there would be a drop-off with Mahomes. Since then, Mahomes could easily outplay Smith overall. Different styles and I could easily live with the growing pains. We'd still be 3-0. Just my Opinion of course.

It's Alex's team for now...I'm not looking for him to screw things up or get hurt. I only wish he'd play less in the shell he lives in and keep his eyes downfield. He's proven he can do it and yet he rarely does. It's maddening and games could be much less tense with this defense if he'd just open up.

Watson would still be on the bench as well in KC.

Meh Watson has still thrown 4 INTs this year.

Watson is learning on the field whereas Mahomes is learning on the bench. So interceptions are to be expected. The key point is they shouldn't hinder Watson's development and he has to focus on the future rather than today. Most rookie QBs miss that point and fail in the long term. In Watson's case the goal shouldn't be winning this year but not sure how focused the Texans are to that process. We'll probably go through some growing pains next year when Mahomes takes over and could see some lame mistakes.

I loved them both and would have been equally happy with either.  Watson was probably more ready to play early on, but we didn't need that.  I'll never understand why O'Brien didn't start the season with him.  I think they are both better than anything coming out this year, and Trubisky may be also.   I never understood the critics to this QB class.  

I loved them both and would have been equally happy with either. Watson was probably more ready to play early on, but we didn't need that. I'll never understand why O'Brien didn't start the season with him. I think they are both better than anything coming out this year.

We'll need to QB spy him all game so he doesn't exploit us like Cousins did on the ground.

Thank God we got the better of him today!!..otherwise can you imagine the media circus that would have erupted if today's performance would have won them the game? Hell, they'll still probably talk more about him than us going 5-0 :D

I have to say though Pat better be worth the wait otherwise we really may have screwed up by not taking Watson when we had the chance. If Smith goes we will need another QB and I wonder if we will be able to get Lamar Jackson? He seems similar to Watson and may slip into the second round as I have a feeling the teams who will go after a QB are likely to pick Darnold, Rosen, Faulk, Mayfield etc before him.  

Thank God we got the better of him today!!..otherwise can you imagine the media circus that would have erupted if today's performance would have won them the game? Hell, they'll still probably talk more about him than us going 5-0 :D .

I have to say though Pat better be worth the wait otherwise we really may have screwed up by not taking Watson when we had the chance. If Smith goes we will need another QB and I wonder if we will be able to get Lamar Jackson? He seems similar to Watson and may slip into the second round as I have a feeling the teams who will go after a QB are likely to pick Darnold, Rosen, Faulk, Mayfield etc before him.

Stupid last second TD makes people who didn't watch think that the puntTD was the difference. They needed the two point conversion to get within 8, so even taking 7 away from our punt return would have then lose by one at the buzzer (or three if we stop the conversion attempt).

Archived